MOST FANS IN PHOENIX CYCLONES OR GOPHERS

pinkmartini

Reaction score
OFFICIAL BOWL TOURS RT AIR 3 Nights GT[/B]
Iowa State $1,485 per person double out of Des Moines
Minnesota $ 929 per person double out of Minneapolis
ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS
Who will sell the most tickets to the Insight?
Will Iowa State fans drive to Minneapolis to save $1000 per couple?
What was total attendance this fall at Iowa State?
What was total attendance this fall at TCF?

WEDNESDAY NIGHT THE 30TH ON MILL STREET WILL TELL THE ANSWER.

IOWA STATE 3,589
MINNESOTA 2,788

Who will sell the most tickets to the Insight?

The last time ISU went to the Insight Bowl, 12,000 fans purchased tickets from the Cyclones’ ticket office, and another 8,000 from the bowl. I highly doubt that UM will have 20k in the stands. It would be a major accomplishment for Minnesota to bring 6-7k fans.

Yep, Iowa State will have more fans than we will. Maybe double.

We do really well in AZ don't we? We have the largest contingent of retirees and transplants of any state there. I think that's why they invite us. It's almost like a Twin Cities south.

There will be more Clones there

There will be at least 15,000 Iowa Staters make the trip to PHX.

Minnesota $ 929 per person double out of Minneapolis. That's $ 556.00 cheaper then the Iowegian deal. Creative Charters has been running first class tours for years. If you have never traveled with Steve and Dorothy you are missing the time of your life.

It is not just about the game but the 4 days of fun you will experience. Tempe was a blast last year. I plan on bringing home a win and celebrating New Years Eve with the Doobie Brothers.
Go Gophers!

I'm interested to see how many people show up in San Antonio for MSU. I've been a season ticket holder for a few years, it's a shame I've never been able to get to a bowl.

Add the MN transplants to the mix and the MN attendance would rule. How fun would it be to have 50 Iowa State fans in the back of a Gopher Charter. I can only imagine the hooting and hollering.

It would be a good trip, you could have a never ending "I hate Iowa" chant. although you may want to change it to "I hate hawks".

We do really well in AZ don't we? We have the largest contingent of retirees and transplants of any state there. I think that's why they invite us. It's almost like a Twin Cities south.

Not really. We did fairly well there in 2006. We didn't draw well at all there last year.

Didn't we have that basketball thing with Louisville there last year? That was well attended i believe. If they can't draw gopher fans to the stadium, I don't think they're doing a great job of marketing. But perhaps the repeat reduces the spectre of an event. That could be.

Apparently Phoenix has among the largest populations of U of MN graduates in the country. Hopefully that'll help?

and I hope seven MSU fans show up. I hate the Alamo bowl forever and always now.

We had more than 30,000 fans there when we went in 2000, but that was a significantly different situation. Economy wasn't too bad, the team was 8-3, and it was our first bowl in 22 years. If we get half that many this time, I'll consider it a good showing. The team was, after all, 6-6.

There are an awful lot of Iowans retired or wintering in the Phoenix area. The same might be true of Minnesotans, but I don't know about that one way or the other. A lot of people stay with friends/relatives, and the local residents often don't buy their game tickets through the university.

I assume the package quoted by the OP was the ISU Alumni Association deal, which is usually much more expensive than deals put together by other groups. The Cyclone Gridiron Club, for instance, has two airplanes chartered and is charging around $1,000 per person, double occupancy, for air, 3 nights in the Arizona Grand Resort, transfers, etc.

I wasn't there last year (but I just dug up an article stating that we sold out our 10,000 ticket alottment).

I was there in 2006. Here is my memory (which my wife tells me is not always 100% correct):

We sold our alottment of tickets (10,000) through the ticket office;
A lot of people living in Minnesota bought their tickets directly from the bowl - which makes it hard to quantify;
A ton of transplants and retirees (10,000 +/-) were at the game. I would describe them as curious bystanders. It wouldn't surprise me if they had seen only one Gophers game all year. THis year, with so many games on national tv, they may be more familiar with the team (is that good or bad?)

In the bars and restaurants we outnumbered TT fans by 2:1 easily.

The game officially lists its paid attendance at 48,391. Here's how I'd break that down: 13,000 fans from Minnesota , 11,000 Minnesota transplants and retirees (24,000 total U of M fans), 14,000 TT fans, 7,000 locals just looking to attend a bowl game, 3,000 corporate seats that may have remained empty.

I don't doubt that ISU will send more fans than us this year. Their 6-6 season is touted as a great feat; our 6-6 season is regarded by many as dissapointing. Plus, as we know, many Minnesotans loyalties are divided by the Vikings, Gopher Basketball/Hockey, the Wild, cultural/artistic resources, etc.

I hope we sell our alottment. A failure to do so will hurt us in future bowl selections.

Mindless Number Crunching

Assuming that about the same percentage of snowbirds move to Arizona from Minnesota and Iowa:

Minnesota 5.4 milllion population
Iowa 3.0 million population
That's 1.8 Minnesotans for every 1 Iowan. Let's say that's the percentage that live in Arizona as well.

ISU/Iowa fanbase

Everything I read says that there are far, far, far more Iowa fans than ISU fans. I have seen Hawkeye banners on ISU dorm balconies. You would never see it the other way around. Iowa is the state's school, ISU is the school of it's graduates and the Ames area. Let's conservatively say only 25% of Iowans are ISU fans. It's probably lower.

That changes the equation to 7.2 Gopher fans for every 1 ISU fan in Arizona. Of course, lets's give ISU fans the benefit over the drooling hordes to the east, and say that more professionals come out of ISU and end up in Arizona.

I'd say that its still 4-5 UM fans for every 1 ISU fan LIVING in Arizona. Who comes to the game is anyone's guess.

I wasn't there last year (but I just dug up an article stating that we sold out our 10,000 ticket alottment).

We didn't come anywhere close to selling out our alotment last year. The athletic department had to buy the alotment, I believe, per the agreement with the Big Ten and the Insight Bowl.

Here is the post on the article stating that Minnesota sold out its 2008 ticket allotment of 10,000:

http://ktar.com/?nid=6&sid=1017118

If you have a source stating that the U of M administration bought those tickets, I would love to see it.

Assuming that about the same percentage of snowbirds move to Arizona from Minnesota and Iowa:

That's 1.8 Minnesotans for every 1 Iowan. Let's say that's the percentage that live in Arizona as well.

ISU/Iowa fanbase

Everything I read says that there are far, far, far more Iowa fans than ISU fans. I have seen Hawkeye banners on ISU dorm balconies. You would never see it the other way around. Iowa is the state's school, ISU is the school of it's graduates and the Ames area. Let's conservatively say only 25% of Iowans are ISU fans. It's probably lower.

That changes the equation to 7.2 Gopher fans for every 1 ISU fan in Arizona. Of course, lets's give ISU fans the benefit over the drooling hordes to the east, and say that more professionals come out of ISU and end up in Arizona.

I'd say that its still 4-5 UM fans for every 1 ISU fan LIVING in Arizona. Who comes to the game is anyone's guess.

Those are few and far between. Also those individuals are generally ostracized by others on campus, and spend very little time in Ames outside of attending classes.

The bottom line is most Hawk fans are bandwagon fans. The only reason they cheer for Iowa is because they were better in football when they were growing up. Period. If ISU had beaten Iowa 15 straight years in the 80's and 90's, many current Hawk fans would be Cyclones.

25% of Iowans are Cyclones, most likely. My views might be skewed, as I live in Des Moines, which has a lot of ISU alumni, and the casual eye test of which way the metro leans is about 50/50, if not a slight edge to ISU. Granted, in places where there are few college educated people, it's a much higher percentage for Iowa. This is likely why Iowa fans seem to be such idiot rednecks. Many of them truly are.

As far as Minnesotans splitting loyalties between the Gophs and Vikes, I've always wondered why its such an issue here. Wisconsin doesn't have a problem supporting both the Badgers and the Packers. Michigan supports the Wolverines, Spartans, and Lions. Is it due to the Vikings have generally achieving more success than the Gophers, and thus there is more interest? I went to high school in Rochester, while still living in Iowa, and I always thought it strange that in Iowa, everyone was a die hard Hawkeye or Cyclone fan, and in Minnesota (at least in Rochester), few people were big Gophers fans (but everyone was a die hard Viking fan).

As far as Minnesotans splitting loyalties between the Gophs and Vikes, I've always wondered why its such an issue here. Wisconsin doesn't have a problem supporting both the Badgers and the Packers. Michigan supports the Wolverines, Spartans, and Lions. Is it due to the Vikings have generally achieving more success than the Gophers, and thus there is more interest? I went to high school in Rochester, while still living in Iowa, and I always thought it strange that in Iowa, everyone was a die hard Hawkeye or Cyclone fan, and in Minnesota (at least in Rochester), few people were big Gophers fans (but everyone was a die hard Viking fan).

Part of this issue is that the Vikings and Gophers play in the same city. It makes for a fun but expensive weekend to go to both a Gophers and Vikings game. And until probably 1998 the Vikings were not nearly as big of a draw and this disparity wasn't so noticeable. This isn't true in Wisconsin or Michigan. And I wasn't aware anyone actually supported the Lions. ;)

Uhhh, no

I work in the ISU Dept. of Residency and I have NEVER seen any hawkeye banners in ISU dorm balconies. In fact, none of the ISU dorms even have balconies. I have, however, seen the lights of an entire dorm lit up so to spell "BEAT IOWA"...many times. Not a very good effort on your part.

ISU/Iowa fanbase

I'M HEARING THAT

I'm hearing that Iowa State is not filling there trips very well....Is this the indication that the Gopher Nation will previal?
Are the Golden Gophers going to wear Gold or Maroon....they are the visitors.
Are the Cyclones going to wear Gold or Red?...they are the home team.

Actually

The ISU athletic dept released a statement that over 2,000 tix were sold in the first 24 hours after Sunday's announcement and they are very pleased with the sales. ISU will wear it's home cardinal uniforms.

ISU will wear it's home cardinal uniforms.

Is this the home uniform?:

4106986781_298f810a50.jpg

The Gophers wore their all white uniforms for all away games this year and last year, so this is what I'd expect:

3424729697_dd5ced7062.jpg

I really like our white uni's. Man those red ISU uniforms really look like USC's.

I've never liked the white or the banana, but I think I'm in the minority on that. prefer maroon and gold.

I wish we played like USC.:D I like your white unis.

Ha! Well there is every chance Minnesota might make you look like USC, and I mean the good USC teams not this years buncha no good loosers. I really hope that doesn't happen though.

I work in the ISU Dept. of Residency and I have NEVER seen any hawkeye banners in ISU dorm balconies. In fact, none of the ISU dorms even have balconies. I have, however, seen the lights of an entire dorm lit up so to spell "BEAT IOWA"...many times. Not a very good effort on your part.

I was at ISU in the 80's during some of Iowa's peak years. I grew up outside Iowa Sh*tty so I grew up a Hawkeye fan. QUICKLY converted after arriving in Ames and seeing what true fans were supposed to act like.

I don't have evidence but have heard more Iowa high school grads go to ISU then UofI (EIU as we like to call them). A lot of Chicago people end up at EIU after they don't get into Champaign/Urbana (again only hearsay, but I have heard over 10% of student body).

Since I still live in Eastern Iowa, I would put the IA/ISU fanbase at approx. 3-1. Eastern is more populated and mostly Hawkeyes. Western is split ISU/Neb, Central is split 50/50 ISU/IA.

My prediction is ISU will draw 18,000 fans to the game.

Top Bottom