Morgan Cut by Steelers

Tough spot to be in.

Not a big NFL guy. Does the timing of this open up any other possibilities with another team in some form/capacity? Thanks in advance to anyone.

Tough spot to be in.

Not a big NFL guy. Does the timing of this open up any other possibilities with another team in some form/capacity? Thanks in advance to anyone.
By tomorrow teams have to trim their rosters to 53. After that they can add practice squad players. So Morgan can either get picked up as a 3rd stringer by someone or be signed to someone's practice squad or go completely unclaimed.

Handwriting was on the wall when the Steelers resigned Mason Rudolph, giving them three veteran QBs with Morgan as the only rookie to survive the mini-camps. Hard to know what happens from here. It looks like most teams will be going with 2 QBs on the 53 with the third-stringer activated from the practice squad on game days. Once scenario would be the Steelers hanging onto Rudolph in hopes of trading him before the opener and putting Morgan on the practice squad, but it's hard to speculate given there is always so much player movement in the week after cut-downs. Morgan's pre-season stat line was pretty ugly, but I think practice counts as much or more than games in assessing rookies.

I happened to turn on the boob tube during the last Steelers game and caught the end of the game thinking Morgan might play. Mason Rudolph has an odd delivery and threw some ducks downfield. Pedigree and familiarity rule. Morgan had some happy feet on his drives but at the very end on a fourth down delivered a beautiful looping ~20 yard pass to the end zone sideline which Gopher fans have witnessed many times but the WR did this ridiculous double front judo jump kick in the air, did come down with the ball but a foot landed out of bounds.

I’d that’s his last pass as an NFL player so be it. Kind of a fitting epitaph.

As injuries start to deplete teams guys like Tanner can slide into spots whether with Pittsburgh or somewhere else.

I love Tanner as much as anyone... guessing his best chance to an NFL paycheck is impressing enough to get cut and then hopefully get signed back on their practice squad.

He may still have a shot at a practice squad with a decent salary. I would not count him out yet.

Should change the title of this thread to, "Morgan gets to Start his Coaching Career Right Away". The NFL player dream has sailed, but coaching was pretty much where I thought he'd end up anyways. Might as well start the coaching job mow versus waiting.

BTW, has there ever been a coach for a team that also was the scout team's QB?

No surprise. Hope he can catch on as a coach. Seems to have a good mind for it

Always thought Tomlin was an idiot.

Kidding, but, hey. Getting a tryout for an NFL team is still pretty impressive. I don't know anyone personally who has. Gets his name out there more for the coaching realm in the future too.

Nice job Tanner.

Handwriting was on the wall when the Steelers resigned Mason Rudolph, giving them three veteran QBs with Morgan as the only rookie to survive the mini-camps. Hard to know what happens from here. It looks like most teams will be going with 2 QBs on the 53 with the third-stringer activated from the practice squad on game days. Once scenario would be the Steelers hanging onto Rudolph in hopes of trading him before the opener and putting Morgan on the practice squad, but it's hard to speculate given there is always so much player movement in the week after cut-downs. Morgan's pre-season stat line was pretty ugly, but I think practice counts as much or more than games in assessing rookies.
Did Morgan play or practice much with the
starters?

Hopefully, he lands on the practice squad. With the signing of Rudolf, the Steelers opted for three veteran QBs makes Morgan a luxury.

Did Morgan play or practice much with the
starters?

Hopefully, he lands on the practice squad. With the signing of Rudolf, the Steelers opted for three veteran QBs makes Morgan a luxury.
Would assume he saw little to no reps with the starters as those reps are going to go to the #1 and maybe #2 guys.

Will be interesting to see if he lands on a practice squad or another roster. If he doesn't catch on somewhere he seems like a lock for a coaching career if he wants to go that route.

Majority of CFL players make $60-70K.
The minimum salary in the CFL is $70,000 base (that's Canadian $ though). Here's a good article that talks about pay in the CFL (they don't have to publicize salaries).

The minimum salary in the CFL is $70,000 base (that's Canadian $ though). Here's a good article that talks about pay in the CFL (they don't have to publicize salaries).

Yes, and most make the minimum or just above. Last I looked only maybe 10-12 players make over $80K Canadian.

Top Bottom