More Conference Talk

If I had to guess right now...

B1G does not expand. Stays with 12 teams.

SEC adds A&M and Missouri, going to 14.

ACC adds Rutgers and UConn, to go with Pitt and Syracuse, to go to 16 teams.

Pac-12 goes to Pac-16 with additions of Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State.

Remaining Big XII teams (Kansas, K State, Iowa State, Baylor) and remaining Big East teams (South Florida, Louisville, Cincy, TCU, WVU) form a combined league.

Notre Dame maintains its independence in football and sticks with new B12/BE combined entity for other sports. 17 teams for basketball, ND is happy to maintain a foothold on the east coast with Providence, St John's, Georgetown, and expand into new areas in Texas.

----

However, in my "ideal" world, Notre Dame and Missouri join the B1G.

B1G West: Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Northwestern, Wisconsin
B1G East: Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue

or

B1G North: Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Wisconsin
B1G South: Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue

why did this need a bump? it was like the third one...

He wants to increase his post total........

I'll try to add something to the topic so I'm not accused of the same: Both the Big Ten & Notre Dame can wait. Notre Dame can have its independence until forced to, and the Big Ten can quietly say "we're good on expansion right now, but you (ND) are welcome when ready." My fear is that if that doesn't happen for a few years, adding a 14th team may not have as many appealing options to go along with ND, unless somebody is willing to leave their new arrangement for the Big Ten.

I think the ACC talk is cute & all, but the bottom line is that the ACC cannot offer what the Big Ten can. It's a better travel fit for all of it's other sports and financially, the ACC cannot offer what the Big Ten can.

Sportscenter and Andy Katz just reported on ESPN that the Pac-12 will not be expanding at this time. Maybe the Big 12 sticks together for the time being??

Only if Beebe is gone and if the LHN restructures...seems there are some deep divides there.

If the rumor of Mizzou to the SEC is true I wonder if it's the SEC's attempt to box in the Big Ten? After ND, Mizzou would be the next logical expansion move for the Big Ten. The SEC has a ton of options in the south. It could try and lure WVU from the Big East or even VTech, FSU or Miami from the ACC. The Hokies and Canes in particular don't have much history with the ACC nor are they b-ball schools. To me it would seem that Mizzou would/should be way down their list for potential candidates. However; losing Mizzou as an option for the Big Ten would force Delaney (should they expand) to go beyond their geographic footprint and take a less than ideal fit like WVU, UCONN, Rutgers or the Kansas schools.

Smart for the BigXII and Pac10 to wait.

The Big East is dead as a BCS football conference now; it is only a matter of weeks before the remaining members come to the conclusion that this must be the end of the conference for all sports. It's not like they can just raid Conference USA again and expect to keep their AQ.

The Big East will soon crumble; then its Notre Dame's move. They can save the conference by joining for football, or watch it lose its AQ and cease to exist for all sports.

1) Adding WVU is not that dissimilar to adding Mizzou. WV is bordered by both Ohio and Pennsylvania. MI is bordered By IL, IA, and like a mile of NE that I wouldn't even count. Not that different.

2) Why in the world would the Big East dissolve for all sports? The conference is still elite for basketball with the loss of Pitt and Cuse.

2) Why in the world would the Big East dissolve for all sports? The conference is still elite for basketball with the loss of Pitt and Cuse.

According to pretty much every credible source:
1.) Basketball is essentially an afterthought. Football (and football alone) drives all decisions on conference alignment.
2.) Non-football members do not mix well with schools opperating D1-FBS football programs. All of the founding members of the football conference have now left or badly want out.

1) Adding WVU is not that dissimilar to adding Mizzou. WV is bordered by both Ohio and Pennsylvania. MI is bordered By IL, IA, and like a mile of NE that I wouldn't even count. Not that different.

This is mostly driven by TV money and markets. To even compare WVU and Mizzou is nonsense. Mizzou gives you the St. Louis market, and to some extent KC (though as I said before, KC is very much Jayhawk territory). WVU brings you little more than taking Iowa State from a market standpoint, the difference being that ISU is a good school, while WVU probably has a major in meth lab management.

WVU claims they don't want into the SEC, because the SEC has no use for a school in a market like West Virginia.

With PAC-12's decision to stay at 12 tonight, much will change in this ongoing melodrama. Some sanity, at least, may be restored now that the B1G and the PAC will each likely stay at 12 for the foreseeable future. I do wonder though, with the growing animosity between OK and TX, does this force OK to look at the ACC or the SEC now that it is publicly calling out TX so it can force change in the Big 12? Does the SEC renege on the apparent deal with Mizzou now that OK is available? Ah the joy and madness of it all in today's edition of "As the FBS Turns." :p

The beautiful thing though is that I believe the only way B1G expands now is if ND comes calling, which likely won't happen anytime soon with this evening's developments. I must say I will be quite pleased if the B1G can stay at 12; at least for a while. Thanks PAC!!! You may have brought some sanity back into the picture (or not :))!!!

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6998751/pac-12-conference-decides-expand-further

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ohn-marinatto-says-schools-committed-big-east

Go Gophs!!!

And for all the negativity about the Gopher football program the last few years, at least we're secure in the Big Ten. I feel bad for KU and ISU fans.

I'm another that thinks the Big East is football dead. Basketball cannot keep this conference alive as a major force, especially with the potential dregs out there.

Big XII stays alive. With the Big East taking a tumble, they welcome back Missouri and ask TCU to join the party.

I still believe that 14 or 16 team conferences for football are a joke. So you SEC West folks get to see Florida once every 12 years? A shame and a joke. "It's a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham."

There is absolutely no chance the Big Ten adds West Virginia, yes there is a huge difference between Missouri and West Virginia. I could just hear the faculty of the various Big Ten schools and their complaints if West Virginia was added.

The ACC picked up two of the better schools in the Big East, i would think U Conn and Rutgers would be the other two schools that would be targeted.

The PAC-12 voted down expansion, I hope the lessor schools in the Big 12 use this to get a more favorable agreement from Texas. It seems that an Iowa State or Baylor has the alternative of opting for the Big East if they are dictated terms.

Northwestern Rivals strikes again:

http://northwestern.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=57&tid=163241898&mid=163241898&sid=901&style=2

Tonight, the University of Texas president Bill Powers co-authored a letter of intent with the Big Ten conference.

The key terms include:

- the University of Texas will in good faith conduct discussions with the Big Ten conference and no other conference related to its post-2012 conference affiliation
- the Big Ten will not invite any other institution to join the conference without the prior approval of Texas
- before joining the Big Ten, Texas will have assurances that it can schedule four non-Big Ten conference football games per season
- the requirement that any final arrangement be designed to increased revenues among all Big Ten conference schools, with no discrepancies in distributions unrelated to television network distributions among conference institutions
- Texas will become a full CIC member
- Texas and the Big Ten will jointly approve any third party media arrangements related to Texas athletics moving forward
- the goal that Texas participates as a full member of the conference beginning in the fall of 2014

Texas' intentions with regard to the Big Ten will remain without official announcements until a specific group of universities, including the current Texas' Big XII schools, solidify their own conference affiliation status. Neither the Big Ten nor Texas wishes to be seen as the primary driving force in conference realignment.

The decision of Syracuse and Pittsburg to join the ACC came unexpectedly to the Big Ten. Certain leaders of the conference remained uncertain that a similar unexpected action could take place on the heels of the meeting of the Texas Board of Regents, particularly given the lack of uniform communications between Texas stakeholders and the conference. These individuals no longer have such uncertainties.

Well, we've certainly crossed an "internet age" threshold when "some dude on Northwestern's message board" is a credible source.

If the Big 12 stays together, great. If it blows up and Texas joins the B1G, great. I fully believe everything that has been said about Texas to the Big Ten so far. The things being exchanged between the two just seem far to real to be made up.

Ok, this bullet lost me:

"- the requirement that any final arrangement be designed to increased revenues among all Big Ten conference schools, with no discrepancies in distributions unrelated to television network distributions among conference institutions"

No discrepancies in distributions UNrelated to television network distributions? Does that mean there can be discrepancies in distributions of TV revenue?

If Texas is unwilling to follow in the traditional Big Ten TV revenue sharing, F them.

If the Big 12 is to stay together Texas will need to share more of their tv money. If they do maybe Notre Dame does the same and joins the Big 12.

Just dreaming.

Why would Texas need to do that? In the world of college football money rules and Texas is quite possibly the biggest single get in that regard.

Top Bottom