More Conference Talk

If this happens, the Big East is gone and Notre Dame has to move to the Big Ten to protect its football interests long term, BB short term and hockey right now.

If this happens, the Big East is gone and Notre Dame has to move to the Big Ten to protect its football interests long term, BB short term and hockey right now.

Baylor and Iowa State supposedly are looking at the Big East; with TCU heading there would those three save them?

Frodo posted it at 1:30 under "More Conference Talk"

ND and Texas to the B1G is starting to look more likely the more these other conferences grow.

Baylor and Iowa State supposedly are looking at the Big East; with TCU heading there would those three save them?

I would say trading Pitt and Cuse for Baylor and ISU would not be a winner...the Big East is a basketball conference and Pitt and Cuse are a big part of that...if ND moves to Big Ten, that is 3 top BB teams leaving conference...have to change name from Big East to ECAC cuz they would be as relevant as the WAC at that point.

I would say trading Pitt and Cuse for Baylor and ISU would not be a winner...the Big East is a basketball conference and Pitt and Cuse are a big part of that...if ND moves to Big Ten, that is 3 top BB teams leaving conference...have to change name from Big East to ECAC cuz they would be as relevant as the WAC at that point.

I understand and agree with your point. I was referring to saving the Big East's BCS spot.

I understand and agree with your point. I was referring to saving the Big East's BCS spot.

I don't think the BCS survives the realignment...with 4 major football conferences in the ACC, SEC, Pac 16 and Big Ten, all with conference championship games...an 8 team playoff is almost assured. 2 at large from other conferences, 2 of the 4 top losers in the championsip games and the 4 conference champions. The bowls can survive and the 4-2-1 leaves us with the BCS bowls being the quartefinals, then the 2 and 1 semi/finals are the actual playoff for a National Champion. This would guarantee that 75% of the BCS/Playoff money stays with the top 4 conferences but still gives WAC/Big East teams chance to win it all.

Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech are reportedly close to joining the Pac 12. B1G better get a move on.

Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech are reportedly close to joining the Pac 12. B1G better get a move on.

At this point, I think the NE schools are out of play: Uconn and Rutgers are very likely to follow Pitt and Cuse to the ACC. The increased ACC buyout makes nabbing Maryland much less likely.

The only way the B1G can be productive by adding anything is by adding Notre Dame and one other. If Missouri is their goal, they might find the need to act quickly: the SEC will be on the hunt and Missouri, IMO, is a better get than WVU would be for them.

Yeah, gotta be Missouri and ND to the B1G if this is all true. ND being the unknown.

I don't think the BCS survives the realignment...with 4 major football conferences in the ACC, SEC, Pac 16 and Big Ten, all with conference championship games...an 8 team playoff is almost assured. 2 at large from other conferences, 2 of the 4 top losers in the championsip games and the 4 conference champions. The bowls can survive and the 4-2-1 leaves us with the BCS bowls being the quartefinals, then the 2 and 1 semi/finals are the actual playoff for a National Champion. This would guarantee that 75% of the BCS/Playoff money stays with the top 4 conferences but still gives WAC/Big East teams chance to win it all.

If push comes to shove on a playoff (which I oppose FWIW), I hope that the B1G has the sense to blow up the bowl system. While I would prefer to see the bowl system preserved, from a competitive standpoint it would be foolhardy to play all playoff games that close to the homes of some participants. In essense, every B1G-SEC match up is a road game within the bowl system (as is the Rose Bowl in most cases). While I can handle that because of the traditions of the bowls, I would be opposed to that if we choose to say FU to tradition. The B1G should demand that teams are seeded and games played in the home stadiums or at least at northern neutral sites to ensure competitive fairness. I'd like to see LSU play at the 'Shoe or at Soldier Field in January. If everyone is clamoring for CFB to be NFL lite, at least adopt a similar framework.

B1G really better get moving. If this continues we're going to be no better than the current Big East is. We'll be a complete joke. At this point you have to say screw tradition and find some good fits immediately.

If push comes to shove on a playoff (which I oppose FWIW), I hope that the B1G has the sense to blow up the bowl system. While I would prefer to see the bowl system preserved, from a competitive standpoint it would be foolhardy to play all playoff games that close to the homes of some participants. In essense, every B1G-SEC match up is a road game within the bowl system (as is the Rose Bowl in most cases). While I can handle that because of the traditions of the bowls, I would be opposed to that if we choose to say FU to tradition. The B1G should demand that teams are seeded and games played in the home stadiums or at least at northern neutral sites to ensure competitive fairness. I'd like to see LSU play at the 'Shoe or at Soldier Field in January. If everyone is clamoring for CFB to be NFL lite, at least adopt a similar framework.

While I agree with you, what makes you say that isn't what they'd do? That is how a playoff works...

Why not add Mizzou, KU, ND and UConn? Big 10 basketball would be much better off, it would bring in more of the Northeastern market and all of the Midwest and Notre Dame would be the big splash for football.

Doubt that KU would come without KSU, and the B1G wants nothing to do with them. I'm not sold on UConn. Their football situation is NOT good.

Doubt that KU would come without KSU, and the B1G wants nothing to do with them. I'm not sold on UConn. Their football situation is NOT good.

I thought it was said recently that they aren't married together, they'd just prefer to be a pair. I do think if push came to shove KU would break away for a Big 10 spot. KU basketball is just too good to sit in a lower tier conference.

What's so bad about KSU?

Market, academics...kind of a similar situation to Iowa State. KU is the big fish in Kansas, their basketball program also brings something while K-State brings nothing to the table except mediocrity.

What's so bad about KSU?

My uneducated guess is a lower academic standard, as well as a redundant cable subscriber footprint. Missouri gets us into the St. Louis/KC markets, and Kansas and Kansas State are kind of marginal additions in terms of subscribers.

Market, academics...kind of a similar situation to Iowa State. KU is the big fish in Kansas, their basketball program also brings something while K-State brings nothing to the table except mediocrity.

There is nothing wrong with Iowa State academically. They are one of the academically strongest remaining "free agent" schools out there if all of the talk goes as planned with the ACC and the Pac 12. They still have their A.A.U. status, which Nebraska lost. Decent football program that is improving with wins over Iowa this year, and Nebraska and Texas in the past two years. Basketball season could be fun to watch. They actually would fit in well with the Big 10 schools, but if you are looking to add TV sets, they are weak in that criteria.

As Gopher fans, do we want expansion? And if so, do you want to add teams that likely will make our football schedule harder each year and reduce our chance of going to a bowl game? I hear talk of ND, Texas, etc. and while the prestige would be great, just look at USC this year. It was novel to play them for the past two years, but that novelty wears off after a while and all you are likely left with is an annual loss and a potential upset every 5 years or so.

I shouldn't have said academically, I meant to say K-State is academically not quite good enough and like Iowa State they don't bring in enough TV sets. Iowa State is a great academic school.

My uneducated guess is a lower academic standard, as well as a redundant cable subscriber footprint. Missouri gets us into the St. Louis/KC markets, and Kansas and Kansas State are kind of marginal additions in terms of subscribers.

This is the big one. It trumps everything... unless the top dog in the state is a supergiant mega football powerhouse, see: Oklahoma and Texas.

I might be OK with Mizzou but we already cold shouldered them when we added Neb (a great addition I might add!).

No F'ing way to ND. They don't belong in our sacred conference. Let those fighning bastards die a slow, miserable death!!!

Money is what drives all this conference realignment. Does the B1G really gain anything adding more teams? Notre Dame, yes. But not anyone else. The B1G currently has an envious revenue sharing plan. Adding a team like Missouri or UCONN adds very little value, even with the KC & NY markets. Nebraska adds huge value. Anyone outside of ND dilutes and weakens the conference. If other conferences expand to 16 teams, the B1G may be better off financially with a solid 12.

Honestly, I wish the Big Ten would just allow the Oklahoma schools to join. Who cares if their academics aren't very good, they should easily be able to improve by being in the big ten and bringing in the money that the big ten would give them. Having them join would then bring Notre Dame and Texas, and the Big Ten would maybe be able to compete with the SEC for talent, but would far and away be the most popular and publicized conference.

If the Big Ten can't get ND then they need to hold. No sense in whoring yourself out to expand beyond the non-Midwest footprint. If they are able to get ND then they should add Mizzou since that would make geographic sense and get a solid foothold into 2 major markets (Stl & KC).

I don't like the super-conference race but part of me is glad that Pitt and Syracuse (and maybe Rutgers and UCONN) appear to be ACC bound as that would seem to stop the ridiculous talk about expanding the conference to states that border the Atlantic.

Texas is a pariah. Nebraska left the Big 12 in part to get away from Texas. While Delaney and others may want Texas, I don't see Nebraska and probably some other schools voting in favor. I believe an expansion vote has to be unanimous (?).

Top Bottom