Moral victory?

cncmin

Reaction score
Few thought this would be a close game, and fewer thought the Gophers would win. That they had a good chance to win at the end suggests a moral victory. Largely shutting down their passing game in the 2nd half suggests a moral victory. Scoring 31 points suggests a moral victory. But why does it always have to end this painfully?

I don't mind most of the coaching decisions this game, except two stand out:
1. Playing Gray late in the 4th quarter with a 7-point lead...it's obvious that the play-calling worked, as the receivers were wide open on both pass plays, but the coaches had to know just like the rest of us that he has no confidence in his arm. Combine that with the fact that he looked nervous out there, and running was really the only option if he was taking the snap; at least on the 3rd down play. Maybe the best question about this head-scratcher is why play Gray at QB at all there? Note that the last time the Gophers played in a bowl game Gray coughed a fumble away to Iowa State on the game-winning drive. He nearly fumbled on his last possession in this game as well.

2. 4th-and-4 at your opponents' 40 yard line with the clock nearing empty, a first down plus any score probably results in an upset win. Do you:
(a) Punt (with a poor punter) to one of the best offenses in the country and just hope that they throw at Michael Carter for a third time in a row?
(b) Go for the win by keeping the offense on the field?

In my opinion, (b) is by far the most sensible choice. Bad-case scenario, TT takes over the ball at the 40, and maybe drives down the field for a score; however, at least a lot of time would still be on the clock for your own reply game-winning drive. As soon as Kill trotted out the punt team, you could just feel the loss coming on. Coaches in all sports tighten up in these kind of situations. I really don't understand why. Certainly an underdog should always have the mentality to drive a stake into the heart of the favorite when they have the chance. Instead, all too often they play not to lose...

Playing not to lose loses.

Ironically, playing to win ultimately lost the game due to the late INT; however by that point the momentum was greatly back on the favorite's side. Going to OT would have likely been the same negative result.

In the end, it's a moral victory. The team hung in there as a big underdog and had a good chance to win. But these two poor decisions, along with the (predictable) end result leaves me wanting better from the coaching staff in winnable situations.

Few thought this would be a close game, and fewer thought the Gophers would win. That they had a good chance to win at the end suggests a moral victory. Largely shutting down their passing game in the 2nd half suggests a moral victory. Scoring 31 points suggests a moral victory. But why does it always have to end this painfully?

1. Playing Gray in late in the 4th quarter with a 7-point lead...it's obvious that the play-calling worked, as the receivers were wide open on both pass plays, but the coaches had to know just like the rest of us that he has no confidence in his arm. Combine that with the fact that he looked nervous out there, and running was really the only option if he was taking the snap; at least on the 3rd down play. Maybe the best question about this head-scratcher is why play Gray at QB at all there? Note that the last time the Gophers played in a bowl game Gray coughed a fumble away to Iowa State on the game-winning drive. He nearly fumbled on his last possession in this game as well.

2. 4th-and-4 at your opponents' 40 yard line, a first down plus a score probably results in an upset win. Do you:
(a) Punt (with a poor punter) to one of the best offenses in the country and just hope that they throw at Michael Carter for a third time in a row?

In my opinion, (b) is by far the most sensible choice. Bad-case scenario, TT takes over the ball at the 40, and maybe drives down the field for a score; however, at least a lot of time would still be on the clock for your own reply game-winning drive. As soon as Kill trotted out the punt team, you could just feel the loss coming on. Coaches in all sports tighten up in these kind of situations. I really don't understand why. Certainly an underdog should always have the mentality to drive a stake into the heart of the favorite when they have the chance. Instead, all too often they play not to lose...

Ironically, playing to win ultimately lost the game due to the late INT; however by that point the momentum was greatly back on the favorite's side. Going to OT would have likely been the same negative result.

In the end, it's a moral victory. The team hung in there as a big underdog and had a good chance to win. But these two poor decisions, along with the (predictable) end result leaves me wanting better from the coaching staff in winnable situations.

I agree with 1. but don't agree with 2. I think you have to punt there. If anything, it showed confidence in our defense.

Gopher Football: The Standard of Excellence in Moral Victories since 1968.

It was a rough loss to be sure.

I thought Minn played very well and was pretty sure Tech would lose. To my eyes Minnesota was implementing a game plan that was negating whatever advantages Tech had.

Definitely a moral victory. I didn't think Kill could win a game like this, but the fact we were pretty close is encouraging and I think he'll get there someday.

Moral victory NOT

The Minnesota Golden Gopher football program, if you have not seen a team lose in new and fine fashion wait for it
and it will happen to the Gophers. Gopher fans and players have endure a lot of crap and it always continues.
Just when you thought you have seen every possible scenario for the Gophers to lose a football game, they go and invent a new one.
How many way's and times do you have to see this team continue to snatch defeat from the jaws
of Victory, and it just happens again and again. No wonder we cannot see the Gophers dig out of this mess, they always
shoot themselves in the foot and why most Minnesota football fans have given up on them.
What in his right mind made Phillip Nelson heaves up a pass in to double coverage that he has no business throwing. He knows better than that
but it is the GOPHER way to F things up and do something try and make a play that ends up blowing up in there faces.
Why couldn't he have been as inaccurate on that pass as all of the other passes in the fourth quarter. There is no way to sugar coat it
we still do not have a competent quarterback. I admire Nelson's courage for thinking he could be different and make a play but he still should have
not made that throw.

Two turnovers that get you on short fields and all the offense can do is go three and out. As always
you need the Gopher defense to hold a lead with less than two minutes in a game and pfft, Lucy pulls the football away again.
The sun will come up tomorrow, but it is more than tiresome to see the Gophers continue to invent new way's to lose.
Makes you wonder why you keep banging your head against the wall when the right thing seems to be to give up and quit watching
like most of Minnesota has already done. There is no way to sugar coat this loss, it plain sucks. Gophers out play the other team
and have nothing to show for it.
Jerry Kill, Tim Brewster, Glen Mason, Jim Wacker, John Gutekunst just another in a long line of college coaches, when will it end
where a Minnesota coach does not end up with Minnesota on there tombstone and end there career?
When will this fricke'n CURSE finally end, we have suffered enough as a fan base, it
is about time the sun shined on this dogs a$$. Who will be the one to help us turn it?

Another an inexusable loss. It's that simple. What our defense was doing with eight,nine peple in the box on the last drive and the middle of the field wide open was mind boggling. And Nelson throwing into triple coverage was just insane,

1. Playing Gray late in the 4th quarter with a 7-point lead...it's obvious that the play-calling worked, as the receivers were wide open on both pass plays, but the coaches had to know just like the rest of us that he has no confidence in his arm. Combine that with the fact that he looked nervous out there, and running was really the only option if he was taking the snap; at least on the 3rd down play. Maybe the best question about this head-scratcher is why play Gray at QB at all there? Note that the last time the Gophers played in a bowl game Gray coughed a fumble away to Iowa State on the game-winning drive. He nearly fumbled on his last possession in this game as well.

2. 4th-and-4 at your opponents' 40 yard line with the clock nearing empty, a first down plus any score probably results in an upset win. Do you:

pKNoR.gif

WTF? Moral victory? If losing to a mid level Big 12 team means a moral victory, throw the program in the toilet.

WTF? Moral victory? If losing to a mid level Big 12 team means a moral victory, throw the program in the toilet.

TT is a significantly better program. We took them to the wire in a game in Texas. This was a great performance that came as very unexpected. Now the ending, of course, was quite expected but overall I'm not sure what more you expect.

TT is a significantly better program. We took them to the wire in a game in Texas. This was a great performance that came as very unexpected. Now the ending, of course, was quite expected but overall I'm not sure what more you expect.

They played better than I expected, just dont believe that losing this game is a moral victory. No shame in the loss. In another thread I stated that there was no shame in losing to a better team and was questioned on it. Cant have it both ways I guess. I thought it was a good game and I feel better about the team after the game, just dont believe it was a moral victory.

I wasn't upset with the game at all. Texas Tech played like d-bags who thought they should roll us. Their lack of class really showed through. Minnesota did everything right and outplayed them for nearly the entire game. The offense, which it has all year, failed us again. We could look at Gray's inability to pass the ball for his entire tenure here or wide gap in talent at the wide receiver position, but none of that matters now. Even though we lost, in my book we won. So I don't much care and the actual score is of little consequence. Nelson is the QB we want coming back next year and he'll get better (or he won't be starting long). We have some talent at the receiver position (Harbison and McDonald) and I'm sure the staff is recruiting that position hard. Our defense will likely take a step back, but the offense should take two steps forward. Normally I don't like moral victories, but I'm fine with this one.

Moral Victory? The end choke job was just another way for people to say "same old Gophers". A win here, and there could've been some real hype for our program, and belief in the direction Kill is taking the team. Now I still believe in Kill, but the more casual fan (a mainly Viking fan in MN) won't. It sucks not being listed as a team that gave the B1G a victory during the bowl season.

This could've been a program changer, but now it's just another loss. It hurts. We were given every opportunity to win late in the 4th, but we performed as a bad team would. I truly thought we would pull it out. Per usual, I was wrong.

I truly thought we would pull it out. Per usual, I was wrong.
I too, thought we'd win the entire game. And was dumbfounded when the same Gopher shocking melt down happened. Think of the good news though, we never had shocking losses under Brewster. Instead we got pasted by 30. So shocking end of the game losses were the norm under Mase...

Moral Victory? The end choke job was just another way for people to say "same old Gophers". A win here, and there could've been some real hype for our program, and belief in the direction Kill is taking the team. Now I still believe in Kill, but the more casual fan (a mainly Viking fan in MN) won't. It sucks not being listed as a team that gave the B1G a victory during the bowl season.

This could've been a program changer, but now it's just another loss. It hurts. We were given every opportunity to win late in the 4th, but we performed as a bad team would. I truly thought we would pull it out. Per usual, I was wrong.
Sorry, but a win in the Car Care bowl over a 7-5 team with an interim head coach wouldn't be a program changer.

Moral victory? No, but believe the season was more than a success. Nobody or at least myself believed that this team was going bowling. Did they win? No, but they represented themselves well.

Here's is my only gripe. Gray had no business playing QB, it reminded me of park board football when you let the non athletic geek run the ball the last game of the season. No, I'm not saying Gray is a non athletic geek...but you get my point.....he's not a QB either (I felt so bad for Crawford-Tufts...he was like...what the hell?)

With that being said about Gray; I will also say that Gray will be the steal of the 2013 draft...especially if he's not even drafted. Gray can play either H-back/TE or WR in the NFL and I predict he will do so quite well for 5 to 10 years.

Program changer? Really? I am sorry but in my opinion its a third tier bowl game that in 2 days no one will remember who won, except for MN and Tech fans...

I used to care about this, but I just don't care anymore. There are so many fans in MN that when things aren't going very well, they act like they don't care and just make fun of the teams. Then when things are going very well, they act like they've been a huge, loyal fan all along. I can't stand these type of people. And trust me, I have many friends and family who are like that.

I feel bad for the die-hards who haven't had much to cheer for for a very long time.

I used to care about this, but I just don't care anymore. There are so many fans in MN that when things aren't going very well, they act like they don't care and just make fun of the teams. Then when things are going very well, they act like they've been a huge, loyal fan all along. I can't stand these type of people. And trust me, I have many friends and family who are like that.

I feel bad for the die-hards who haven't had much to cheer for for a very long time.

Feel bad for the die-hards? I feel bad for myself! :)

A lot of people are talking "another choke job" here. That's going a bit overboard. The Gophers were up by one score to a heavily favored team. It wasn't even the worst "choke job" in bowl games played last night - Rutgers could have walked away with an easy win over VT if their QB had even the mildest of D1 QBing skills, instead their QB single-handedly cost his team the game.

Very good teams win these close games. None of us really consider the 2012 Gophers a very good team, so why does everyone get so bat-smit crazy when they lose a close game in which they were supposed to lose? I was happy to have an exciting game to watch, pissed at how it ended, but...would all of you going crazy have preferred them to be blown out?

After watching the game I actually have optimism for next season, something I didn't really have going in to last evening.

I don't believe in moral victories and this wasn't one. But I can still say that the game was entertaining, the Gophers played well against a good team, and just didn't pull it out at the end. There's no shame in that.....

Just say NO to "Moral Victories", only losers use that term.

We put ourselves in a position to win this game. We lost.

Hang you hat on a really well executed gameplan, an offensive line that mauled a BCS opponent that all return, and a D that took the #2 passing attack and made enough plays to win. But we still lost. It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme. A win validates little more, a blowout loss maybe sets critics on alert.
If we lose like this in year 4 it's a problem, now not so much.

There are alot more Gopher Football fans today than there were a few days ago. Next win is on 2-6-13.

They played better than I expected, just dont believe that losing this game is a moral victory. No shame in the loss. In another thread I stated that there was no shame in losing to a better team and was questioned on it. Cant have it both ways I guess. I thought it was a good game and I feel better about the team after the game, just dont believe it was a moral victory.

Isn't that pretty much the definition of a moral victory?

The game kept me entertained and excited for the first 59 minutes of game time. It really sucks to lose like that, especially to a team that was literally beating on our players. Still, it was basically a home game for Texas Tech, and we had them playing from behind for about half the game, we had a 7 point lead with something like a minute and a half left in the game, it was good to even be in that position. We were supposed to lose this game by about two touchdowns. Texas Tech barely pulled it out, we did a better job than most expected us to do. Like I said, it sucks to lose a game in that fashion, and it sucks to lose period, but considering it was a game that we weren't supposed to be in at all, that some thought we would lose by at least 3 touchdowns, we did better than what a lot of people thought we would.

Another an inexusable loss. It's that simple. What our defense was doing with eight,nine peple in the box on the last drive and the middle of the field wide open was mind boggling. And Nelson throwing into triple coverage was just insane,

It's what we were doing for a large portion of the 2nd half. I didn't like it, but prior to that play, we were sitting in a prevent (like the whole first half) and they were picking us apart, like they did in the entire first half. PLaying aggresively and blitzing and playing man-to-man coverage is how we slowed them down in the 2nd half. Both of Carter's INTs came on man-to-man / 1 on 1 coverage. The guy simply beat Carter. Anyone who blamed the staff for playing aggresive and getting burned would have blamed them for staying in the prevent and getting picked apart. They had a playmaker who made a good play and beat our best cover corner. It happens.

I don't believe in moral victories and this wasn't one. But I can still say that the game was entertaining, the Gophers played well against a good team, and just didn't pull it out at the end. There's no shame in that.....

This is exactly how I feel. I don't know how to define a "moral victory".

The game was entertaining, they played hard and better than I thought they would. I'm still disappointed and it was still a loss. So I don't consider it a moral victory, but whatever. On to next year....

Top Bottom