Money Money Money Big Ten Money - "Staggering" News

So we currently get around $50M per year from the Big Ten.

Does this mean we'll start getting $100M per year from the conference??

So no more bitching about Rutgers and Maryland in the BIG.
The next scenario will be FOX and ESPN expecting all the TV networks and streaming companies to pay them more to have the BTN as part of their lineup.
Then we will end up paying more.

Yipee

man’s just saw that the Vals are aggressively looking to raise 25 m for NIL desks by2025, per The Athletic
Bon voyage college Sports when that happens. 20M, semi- reasonable, but I draw the line at 25M

This will be the final stake in the heart of P12 as well. The few teams we want from ACC will also come calling.

per Front Office Sports:

NBC To Make Big Push For Big Ten Media Rights​

Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY/Design: Alex Brooks
With the Big Ten’s media rights set to expire in 2023, major networks are gearing up to bid for some of the most sought-after packages in college sports.

NBC Sports is expected to make a major push for the Power 5 conference’s rights, sources tell Front Office Sports. The Big Ten could command fees of up to $1.1 billion annually on the open market, said sources.

NBC views the combination of the Big Ten along with its existing deal with Notre Dame football as the “perfect one-two punch,” said one source. With its $100 million-per-year deal with the NHL off the books, NBC has the cash and ambition to boost its college portfolio.

“If I’m ESPN or Fox, I’m looking over my shoulder because NBC is going to go hard after the Big Ten,” said another source.

“We don’t comment on specific strategies of our company, but we’re always interested in high-quality sports with wide appeal,” an NBC Sports spokesperson told FOS.

The Big Ten is currently in an exclusive negotiating period with ESPN, Sports Business Journal reported. CBS, which will lose SEC football rights after the 2023-24 season, will reportedly also be particularly interested.

Media Rights Benchmarks​

In 2017, the Big Ten inked a six-year, $2.64 billion package that pays out about $440 million each year.

But in 2020, a new bar was set with the SEC’s gargantuan 10-year, $3 billion deal with Disney that will commence in 2024.

Go Gophers!!

This will be the final stake in the heart of P12 as well. The few teams we want from ACC will also come calling.
I realize that we have talked of this ad nauseam, but my vote on teams moving to B1G:
- The only Pac 12 team would be Colorado. Great place for a road trip - big Denver market. However, it may be too far west.
- Only Big 12 team would be ISU - close to MN, but not much of a market enhancement. Outside of basketball, Kansas does not bring much. WVU may work for some, very close to a lot of B1G schools.
- ACC - a great one that no one talks about much would be Boston College. They already have a good hockey team, and outside of CT (I think) the only D1 football program in New England. Huge Boston and overall New England markets. There's always Notre Dame, they are already in the Hockey mix, but they will never give up their NBC football deal

I realize that we have talked of this ad nauseam, but my vote on teams moving to B1G:
- The only Pac 12 team would be Colorado. Great place for a road trip - big Denver market. However, it may be too far west.
- Only Big 12 team would be ISU - close to MN, but not much of a market enhancement. Outside of basketball, Kansas does not bring much. WVU may work for some, very close to a lot of B1G schools.
- ACC - a great one that no one talks about much would be Boston College. They already have a good hockey team, and outside of CT (I think) the only D1 football program in New England. Huge Boston and overall New England markets. There's always Notre Dame, they are already in the Hockey mix, but they will never give up their NBC football deal
Well the post before yours says NBC is going hard after the Big Ten media rights. If they were to get them it might be enough to finally get Notre Dame into the conference assuming the conference looks to expand.

I say drop NE and take in BC.
Would taking Pitt add any more BTN subscribers with PSU already in the BIG?
The same situation would be adding Cincinnati with tOSU just up the road in Columbus.
I can see adding some Pac 12 teams to the FB schedules but not adding any of the teams to the BIG.

Media Rights Benchmarks​

In 2017, the Big Ten inked a six-year, $2.64 billion package that pays out about $440 million each year.

But in 2020, a new bar was set with the SEC’s gargantuan 10-year, $3 billiondeal with Disney that will commence in 2024.

🤔 🧮

Given the changing landscape it’s possible media giants will bid up prices and possibly hold fans hostage by streaming exclusively on say Peacock, or Peacock Sports + or Peacock Money Machine Plus Premium in 2024 onward, for a low monthly fee. Or are these astronomical numbers part of “setting the table“ in negotiations.

That’s really bad news. Instead of having a commercial at every time out and change in ball possession, now expect a commercial after every first down. They have to find someway of paying the big bucks, that’s their only choice.
In game commercials here we come.

There's always Notre Dame, they are already in the Hockey mix, but they will never give up their NBC football deal
Why do people still cling to this?

The ND/NBC contract pays ND about $15MM/year.

The current B10 TV contract pays each team about $25MM/year.

Why do people still cling to this?

The ND/NBC contract pays ND about $15MM/year.

The current B10 TV contract pays each team about $25MM/year.
It's more fun to just make things up.

The reason ND is not joining the B1G is their desire to remain a "national" brand, more so than TV dollars. They like being the one major independent out there. They have no desire to basically repeat what Penn State did.

First down marker presented by Culvers.
Have you listed to Mike Grimm on a Gopher radio broadcast before?...There are times he can barely get the next play called before he's finished plugging some sponsor's tie-in with a red zone, first down, interception play, etc. Years ago we joked about this but it has come to fruition.

Coming soon to a field near you -- embed fiber optic cable strands into artificial turf so the entire field can light up as a giant billboard every time we get a first down.

Geographically, athletically, and TV-marketwise, only 4 markets make sense. Colorado, Missouri, Kentucky or Louisville, and BC. Pick two.

ISU will never be in the B1G.

As talked about many times I don't think the B1G will take on any schools that are not AAU.

Pitt...Yes
Notre Dame...No
Cincy...No
Colorado...Yes
Missu...Yes
ISU...Yes
BC...No
Kentucy...No
Louisville...No

Nebby should have been expelled.

As talked about many times I don't think the B1G will take on any schools that are not AAU.

Pitt...No
Notre Dame...Maybe if it came with another big boy
Cincy...No
Colorado...No
Missu...No
ISU...No
BC...No
Kentucy...No
Louisville...No

Nebby should have been expelled.
FIFY
They also won’t take schools that will make the piece of the pie for each current member smaller

Geographically, athletically, and TV-marketwise, only 4 markets make sense. Colorado, Missouri, Kentucky or Louisville, and BC. Pick two.

ISU will never be in the B1G.
You think adding Colorado and Missouri is going to make the big ten tv deal worth 140 million extra?

per Front Office Sports:

In 2017, the Big Ten inked a six-year, $2.64 billionpackage that pays out about $440 million each year.

But in 2020, a new bar was set with the SEC’s gargantuan 10-year, $3 billion deal with Disney that will commence in 2024.

Go Gophers!!
The 2020 SEC deal is far less per year than the 2017 B1G deal:

2017 B1G: $2.64 Billion / 6 years = $440 Million
2020 SEC: $3.00 Billion / 10 years = $300 Million

Unless I’m missing something, the B1G has a much better contract and is ready to more than triple the SEC media rights income.

What about USC?
Of Non-SEC

I mean USC + Notre Dame probably pulls the most dollars.
North Carolina, Florida State, Virginia, Clemson

those are probably the 6 most valuable.

If you add those 6, for the big ten pie to get bigger per school the 6 would need to be worth probably 420 million dollars.
the entire ACC is worth 450
The entire pac 12 is worth 250
Notre dame worth 15 per year (although that’s a really old deal and probably would be worth more now)

USC, UCLA for sure. GA TECH, UNC, DUKE, likely.

OK, now reinstate men's tennis, men's indoor track, and men's gymnastics.
My opinion only:

the NCAA sponsors too many varsity sports.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with many sports being club sports. Those can still be very organized and very competitive.

Top Bottom