Monday night football - Scary

Seems like a great guy from what I’ve read. His gofundme from 2020 had a goal of $2500. It’s currently pushing $900k.

People feel helpless as we all love football. But seeing this type of injury is so unusual and difficult. It isn’t a broken bone or torn ligament (bad as they are). It’s his life.
Up over $3.3 million right now.

Prayers for Hamlin.

Such a freaky injury. As far as football hits go, it seemed pretty harmless. I was hoping it wasn’t a Reggie Lewis/Hank gathers thing.

Since the injury I’ve been reading a lot about Commotio Cordis and I’d be pretty surprised if that wasn’t it. I’m just glad that moved quickly and hopefully he will be stable and on the path to recovery,
Watching the coverage, immediately it reminded me of Hank Gathers.

Also there was a former Wild player, Sergei Zholtok, who passed away tragically during a game in Latvia.

I haven't stopped thinking about it and I am so glad I am not in charge of the NFL and making these decisions on what to do next.

I am curious if they will be able to determine if this was a football injury or an injury that happened coincidentally while playing football.

I haven't stopped thinking about it and I am so glad I am not in charge of the NFL and making these decisions on what to do next.

I am curious if they will be able to determine if this was a football injury or an injury that happened coincidentally while playing football.
The play itself didn't look like anything out of the ordinary or like anything we all haven't seen countless times on a football field. Just a fairly normal looking tackle.

I won't be surprised if an undiagnosed heart condition of some kind ends up being discovered. Just hope he pulls through.

The play itself didn't look like anything out of the ordinary or like anything we all haven't seen countless times on a football field. Just a fairly normal looking tackle.

I won't be surprised if an undiagnosed heart condition of some kind ends up being discovered. Just hope he pulls through.
Agree with you on the undiagnosed heart condition. It was hard to watch but impossible to look away at the same time. Like I told my wife last night, if you were to have some sort of medical emergency being a player in the NFL and on the field is probably the best place to have it outside of being in an actual hospital. Thank God for the actions of the on-field medical staff.

I was impressed with the ESPN announcers for how they handled the entire situation when there is literally no news and nothing to say.

I think the NFL is getting a bad rap because of the speculation they were going to give the teams 5 minutes to warm up and continue to play. I think the NFL knew they had to postpone the game but had to figure out how to get to that point. It isn't like a Little League game where you just call it and come back next week. There is a lot of moving details, and while it is trivial right now, the actual game is a big game in the realm of the season, and I am sure they want to check with all parties before making official decisions. They did the right thing by temporary suspending it to give themselves time to talk to all their stakeholders in the situation - coaches/teams, NFLPA, etc.

Agree with you on the undiagnosed heart condition. It was hard to watch but impossible to look away at the same time. Like I told my wife last night, if you were to have some sort of medical emergency being a player in the NFL and on the field is probably the best place to have it outside of being in an actual hospital. Thank God for the actions of the on-field medical staff.

I was impressed with the ESPN announcers for how they handled the entire situation when there is literally no news and nothing to say.

I think the NFL is getting a bad rap because of the speculation they were going to give the teams 5 minutes to warm up and continue to play. I think the NFL knew they had to postpone the game but had to figure out how to get to that point. It isn't like a Little League game where you just call it and come back next week. There is a lot of moving details, and while it is trivial right now, the actual game is a big game in the realm of the season, and I am sure they want to check with all parties before making official decisions. They did the right thing by temporary suspending it to give themselves time to talk to all their stakeholders in the situation - coaches/teams, NFLPA, etc.
I have no doubt the implications of the game itself had an impact on how long it took them to make the official decision to postpone it. Had it been some throw away game between two teams out of the playoff race it would have been an easy call to just cancel. Much tougher when you have the potential #1 seed in the conference on the line.

I am sure the hope was they would get a report that Hamlin was stable and responsive at which point maybe they could have gotten the game going again. Tough situation for everyone involved. Was a good move having the teams go back to the locker rooms, get them away from the cameras and let them sort things out.

A genetic condition involving the right ventricle is associated with cardiac arrhythmias or a hard blow to the chest at a critical phase of the cardiac rhythm can cause a-systole.
The latter is more likely in this case.
Sometimes a hard blow to the chest can start a heart that is in a-systole.

A genetic condition involving the right ventricle is associated with cardiac arrhythmias or a hard blow to the chest at a critical phase of the cardiac rhythm can cause a-systole.
The latter is more likely in this case.
Sometimes a hard blow to the chest can start a heart that is in a-systole.
Just a minor correction, but usually the blow the heart causes ventricular fibrillation, not asystole. This is why the AED/early shock can save someone in this setting. The AED won’t shock asystole

Somebody needs to educate me why this is needed. He has an excellent insurance package with a good salary. What would the money be used for?
Should have clarified. This isn't for him. He started a GoFundMe for a holiday toy drive awhile back that just sort of sat open. This is just folks donating to that as a show of support.

Somebody needs to educate me why this is needed. He has an excellent insurance package with a good salary. What would the money be used for?
He was raising it for his charity, believe -- a toy drive or something? My guess is somebody found it online, shared it as a way to show support for the kid, and it blew up. Your right he probably won't need it personally, but I'm sure he'll find a way to do good with it after pulling through this!

Should have clarified. This isn't for him. He started a GoFundMe for a holiday toy drive awhile back that just sort of sat open. This is just folks donating to that as a show of support.
Thanks! Makes sense now.

He was raising it for his charity, believe -- a toy drive or something? My guess is somebody found it online, shared it as a way to show support for the kid, and it blew up. Your right he probably won't need it personally, but I'm sure he'll find a way to do good with it after pulling through this!
He has been known for his community work at Pitt as a student athlete, and his hometown as well as Buffalo. Reminds me of some of the Gophers players and their fundraising efforts.

Every human has their 'warts', but this guy seems to have done much for many without prompting.

Very scary situation. Prayers out to him and his family. Reminds me when I was a kid and was at the North Star game when Bill Masterton was struck and later passed away.

Get the f out of here with this BS. You're pathetic.
I don’t know what’s going on with the young man but there’s been a lot of similar coincidences, my 62 year old uncle says hi.. But on the other hand I’d be scared shitless too if I was vaxxed because the professionals in the video make a damn good argument.
At the end of the day the young man needs our prayers it’s the most powerful thing in a situation like this.
Get the f out of here with this BS. You're pathetic.

Last edited:

I don’t know what’s going on with the young man but there’s been a lot of similar coincidences, my 62 year old uncle says hi.. But on the other hand I’d be scared shitless too if I was vaxxed because the professionals in the video make a damn good argument.
At the end of the day the young man needs our prayers it’s the most powerful thing in a situation like this.
The video is full of lies. Lots of the events and footage is from prior to the vaccines. Their Twitter account constantly provides false information as well.

It’s not happening more than normal and is completely irrelevant to this specific situation. Stop being so gullible.

Awesome to hear about some signs of improvement in his condition.

Maybe some cautious optimism for his recovery. He did receive rapid life saving attention. I read the same Cardiologists opinions but without all the medical details and test results there is no way to know the cause @ this point. Sending healing thoughts for him n his family.

The video does not make a good argument. And prayer is not the most powerful thing right now, treatment from experienced medical professionals is.

The video does not make a good argument. And prayer is not the most powerful thing right now, treatment from experienced medical professionals is.
I’m not looking for a fight here. I, and likely many others, find it insulting that you downplay what prayer can do. Maybe you haven’t considered that many of us are praying for something along the lines of “God, please help the medical staff find a way to save him”. I don’t see the need to insult those of us that have a faith in God, maybe you can explain what the point of that was. Having lost my Dad to cancer, and watching medical professionals fail to do just about anything correctly, I’m sure you can see where someone might put a little more faith in God than man.

I’m not looking for a fight here. I, and likely many others, find it insulting that you downplay what prayer can do. Maybe you haven’t considered that many of us are praying for something along the lines of “God, please help the medical staff find a way to save him”. I don’t see the need to insult those of us that have a faith in God, maybe you can explain what the point of that was. Having lost my Dad to cancer, and watching medical professionals fail to do just about anything correctly, I’m sure you can see where someone might put a little more faith in God than man.
I’m not looking for a fight either. I have no issue with people praying if it brings them some level of comfort, but supporting a clearly misleading anti-vax video and coupling that with a claim that prayer is the most important thing right now is ridiculous.

And I am sorry for your loss. I can’t imagine that pain.

Prayers for Hamlin.

Such a freaky injury. As far as football hits go, it seemed pretty harmless. I was hoping it wasn’t a Reggie Lewis/Hank gathers thing.

Since the injury I’ve been reading a lot about Commotio Cordis and I’d be pretty surprised if that wasn’t it. I’m just glad that moved quickly and hopefully he will be stable and on the path to recovery,
This

And kudos to the League for doing the right thing in postponing that game indefinitely. They've taken a lot of grief over the years for being tone-deaf or just simply not doing the right thing, but this one they got right.
Correct.

But that isn't stopping cancel-holes from trying to cancel people over this stupid little bit of it.

Good grief. Never let a good controversy go to waste for these jagoffs.

Top Bottom