Monday night football - Scary

That’s not the kind of treatment I would expect from a football injury. Scary is right.

I'd thinking it is possibly a very bad situation and possibly fatal, that they would go to the point of cancelling the game for now...Other times really bad injuries' have happened they delay but then resume it. Here however with the AED and CPR being administered and them postponing/cancelling I would sadly think it might be going that route. Prayers that it isn't.

NFL needs to make this game a “no contest” and not play it tomorrow. Both teams are in playoffs, they’ll figure out playoff order and can’t imagine anyone complains about that. If they play this game tomorrow it would be an awful decision.

Most importantly, hope Damar is OK.

Saw a replay of it on Twitter, just a fluke play from the look of it. Just a well placed shoulder right to the center of his chest while making the tackle. Here's hoping that everything is on the up and up from the reports above and we see him walking out of the hospital in the next couple days!

Praying he’s going to be alright. Pretty scary situation for sure. Poor guy is only 24.

Seems like a great guy from what I’ve read. His gofundme from 2020 had a goal of $2500. It’s currently pushing $900k.

People feel helpless as we all love football. But seeing this type of injury is so unusual and difficult. It isn’t a broken bone or torn ligament (bad as they are). It’s his life.

Scary situation. Right call to postpone the game because there is no way the players could have gone back out there after watching a player given CPR on the field and not knowing if he was going to make it.

Here's hoping Damar is able to pull through this....just a horrible situation.

Sounds a lot like sudden cardiac arrest. Cause could be coincidental to the hit. Signal from brain to heart interrupted. Not a heart attack. Not any warning. You collapse and turn bright purple No wonder the players were freaked out.. No blood pumping, no respiration. CPR and an AED can get your out of defib if they are quick enough. 6% survival rate. It happened to me playing tennis match 5 years ago. Not a heart attack. A spectator cardiac nurse for CPR and the club’s AED got my heart started again. 3days in the ICU and an SICD implant and I was good to go, My SCA was caused by an electrolyte imbalance. Who knew?

I feel awful for Hamlin, his fam, and everyone involved in the play he got hurt on, and I hope they can find some solace in their lives regardless of what happens. I hope he makes it, and then is able to live a functional life moving on.

Sounds a lot like sudden cardiac arrest. Cause could be coincidental to the hit. Signal from brain to heart interrupted. Not a heart attack. Not any warning. You collapse and turn bright purple No wonder the players were freaked out.. No blood pumping, no respiration. CPR and an AED can get your out of defib if they are quick enough. 6% survival rate. It happened to me playing tennis match 5 years ago. Not a heart attack. A spectator cardiac nurse for CPR and the club’s AED got my heart started again. 3days in the ICU and an SICD implant and I was good to go, My SCA was caused by an electrolyte imbalance. Who knew?
any symptoms for your prior to the collapse? have you played sports since?

A physician on another site speculated commotio cordis, which were heart stops from blow to heart area right when t-wave is occuring. See it most often with youngsters getting hit with a baseball or hockey puck to the heart. Survival rate depends on speed of defib and getting heart back in rhythm. They seem to have done that quickly with him. 80% survival if done within 2 minutes occording to Korey Stringer Institute.

Damn, I'm glad to hear you were part of that 6%.

Thanks for the info. Glad you’re still with us too by the way, that must have been hell to go through.

A physician on another site speculated commotio cordis, which were heart stops from blow to heart area right when t-wave is occuring. See it most often with youngsters getting hit with a baseball or hockey puck to the heart. Survival rate depends on speed of defib and getting heart back in rhythm. They seem to have done that quickly with him. 80% survival if done within 2 minutes occording to Korey Stringer Institute.
This was my thought. Seemed like an urban legend as a kid but its very much real. Rate still but real. I’m by no means a doctor. Just a thought I had.

This is a doctor explaining it.

That was scary. Thoughts and prayers for him. My god what a horrible thing to watch.

any symptoms for your prior to the collapse? have you played sports since?
No symptoms before. I leaned over to pick up a ball after a point. Out went the lights . 6 weeks and back to tennis. No contact sports though. The implanted SICD (defibrillator) precludes me from that. Might not happen again but odds are increased that it will.

Prayers for Hamlin.

Such a freaky injury. As far as football hits go, it seemed pretty harmless. I was hoping it wasn’t a Reggie Lewis/Hank gathers thing.

Since the injury I’ve been reading a lot about Commotio Cordis and I’d be pretty surprised if that wasn’t it. I’m just glad that moved quickly and hopefully he will be stable and on the path to recovery,

That was very frightening. God bless that young player and here's to praying that he gets through this and everything turns out okay for him.

And kudos to the League for doing the right thing in postponing that game indefinitely. They've taken a lot of grief over the years for being tone-deaf or just simply not doing the right thing, but this one they got right. It was really difficult to process and very traumatic and sad for me just sitting home and watching all that on TV, so I can only imagine how it must have been for those players down there on that field. That's some very sobering shit right there, cause they know better than any that there but for the Grace could be any one of them at all.

Thanks for the info. Glad you’re still with us too by the way, that must have been hell to go through.
No pain if you don’t count the sore ribs from the cpr. 3 days in the icu is no fun being strapped down and no food. I felt fine which did not stop them from taking vitals every 2 hours. Implant wasn’t too bad. Released 15 hours after implant surgery. I bet Hamlin has a quick recovery but his football days are probably over.

Top Bottom