Mobile Tickets Only

"97 percent of fans entered venues using Ticketmaster technology during the 2018 season."
It that 97% figure is anywhere near accurate, I wish I would have invested in Ticketcrapster years ago

Then the 3% of people that haven't entered the modern world can wait in line at will call. No need to continue to knowingly endorse ticket fraud because of a couple luddites.

"97 percent of fans entered venues using Ticketmaster technology during the 2018 season."
That system doesn't require NFC. It uses an auto-refreshing barcode as it's main way of stopping fraud. I think it's getting less common to not have NFC, but some of the cheaper smartphones don't have NFC. So any smartphone should work.

I'm fine with tickets being on my phone. Use it all the time for Twins games. But I do think we need to make sure our older fans (I'm thinking like 70+) have some sort of way into the stadium if they've decided they don't want to jump into the smartphone world.

Digital tickets makes transferring 10x easier. Just adding the ticket to your wallet and texting it can be done most times. If not, the systems typically let you email them. Pretty much eliminates the need to stop at will call and fill out an envelope. I host customers at TN Titans games frequently and it has made getting customers their tickets much more convenient. One other anecdote, the local minor league team went to digital tickets this year (still print tickets for non smart phones) and if you walk up to purchase at the box office they will just text you a link to access your ticket. Pretty nifty system that allows you just to pull up the ticket in one click of a link. All of this is provided through ticket master.
Now the battle is keeping the phone charged through tailgating / playing music / etc in the parking lots until time to go in.

Last edited:

Hopefully, when someone does a transfer, it cancels the original barcode and automatically generates a new valid barcode linked to that seat.

Otherwise, the person could text/email you the original barcode, you give them cash, and then they just use the ticket anyway.

I'm sure you could file a grievance/get your money back, or whatever, but just saying, if they make it very easy to transfer tickets in a more official way than simply forwarding the original email with the official link or pdf of the ticket, then the above kind of situation could be avoided. (not that it happens a lot)

Hopefully, when someone does a transfer, it cancels the original barcode and automatically generates a new valid barcode linked to that seat.

Otherwise, the person could text/email you the original barcode, you give them cash, and then they just use the ticket anyway.

I'm sure you could file a grievance/get your money back, or whatever, but just saying, if they make it very easy to transfer tickets in a more official way than simply forwarding the original email with the official link or pdf of the ticket, then the above kind of situation could be avoided. (not that it happens a lot)
I agree. I have also now seen (Nashville Predators) use a mobile ticket that doesn’t have a bar code. It is a signal similar to how the new credit cards function. I believe that should eliminate the code issue.

Ah, I see. Hence all the prior NFC discussion. Fair enough.

And that technology allows you to virtually "pass" the ticket from one phone to another, just by putting them close enough (no internet needed), if they both have the appropriate app. Seems reasonable to me.

Ah, I see. Hence all the prior NFC discussion. Fair enough.

And that technology allows you to virtually "pass" the ticket from one phone to another, just by putting them close enough (no internet needed), if they both have the appropriate app. Seems reasonable to me.
Just learned NFC stood for near field communication. At least this board is good for that.

Digital tickets makes transferring 10x easier. Just adding the ticket to your wallet and texting it can be done most times. If not, the systems typically let you email them. Pretty much eliminates the need to stop at will call and fill out an envelope. I host customers at TN Titans games frequently and it has made getting customers their tickets much more convenient. One other anecdote, the local minor league team went to digital tickets this year (still print tickets for non smart phones) and if you walk up to purchase at the box office they will just text you a link to access your ticket. Pretty nifty system that allows you just to pull up the ticket in one click of a link. All of this is provided through ticket master.
Now the battle is keeping the phone charged through tailgating / playing music / etc in the parking lots until time to go in.
Yep keep your phone charged. People with older phones that have less battery charge will need to be smart about how they use their phone on game days.
#GoGophs

I wish they had a physical ... non phone option.

I don't find phones to be any faster than tickets and I'm fine with my phone but not fiddling with that all the time ... I'd like a credit / account card.

Just stick that under the scanner and validates that the tickets are there and there ya go.

FWIW - I work at a radio station and we give away tickets for Twins and Gopher games.
We tend to have an older and less tech-savvy audience.

People who win Twins tickets come into the station, and the GM tries to explain the process to them, and some of them have no idea what we're talking about.

I am not well-versed on how this stuff works, either. What does this mean for the guys who used to sell tickets outside the stadium before games? Are they out of business? I would be very reluctant to buy a digital ticket from someone. How do I know I'm going to get what I paid for?

Then the 3% of people that haven't entered the modern world can wait in line at will call. No need to continue to knowingly endorse ticket fraud because of a couple luddites.

F*#k Ticketmaster! What a scam. Thought I might go see the Monkees at the State Theater later this year. $59 dollar tickets for the 4 of us. Okay. I'll pull the trigger. $400 once all the fees were added...Cancel! Maybe if all 4 were still alive I could justify, but $400 bucks for 2 Monkees? forget it.monkees_lead.jpg

F*#k Ticketmaster! What a scam. Thought I might go see the Monkees at the State Theater later this year. $59 dollar tickets for the 4 of us. Okay. I'll pull the trigger. $400 once all the fees were added...Cancel! Maybe if all 4 were still alive I could justify, but $400 bucks for 2 Monkees? forget it.View attachment 13158
Yeah, the ticket fees are out of control. They should just already be included in the advertised price.

F*#k Ticketmaster! What a scam. Thought I might go see the Monkees at the State Theater later this year. $59 dollar tickets for the 4 of us. Okay. I'll pull the trigger. $400 once all the fees were added...Cancel! Maybe if all 4 were still alive I could justify, but $400 bucks for 2 Monkees? forget it.View attachment 13158
So...you're NOT a Believer...

How many of the studio hired guns that actually played the instruments (The Wrecking Crew) are still alive?

Make no mistake though, good stuff.

How many of the studio hired guns that actually played the instruments (The Wrecking Crew) are still alive?

Not many I would guess. Literally dozens of guys in The Wrecking Crew, so I'm sure there is still some alive. Monkees, like many groups, insisted on playing their own instruments into the early seventies.

I'd like a credit / account card.

Just stick that under the scanner and validates that the tickets are there and there ya go.
This is also a good and reasonable idea.

If you lose your card, I guess it's no worse than losing the physical tickets. And you can call to cancel it and get shipped a replacement with an automatically refreshed code/barcode linked to your account's tickets.

Yeah, the ticket fees are out of control. They should just already be included in the advertised price.
That's how airline tickets are.

Because they were force to do that, by law (I think). I doubt TM will do it unless forced, similarly.

I think all advertised prices for all things for sale should be forced to include all fees and taxes in the displayed price. But anyway ...

That's how airline tickets are.

Because they were force to do that, by law (I think). I doubt TM will do it unless forced, similarly.

I think all advertised prices for all things for sale should be forced to include all fees and taxes in the displayed price. But anyway ...
Except there are plenty of airlines that nickel and dime you for the basics of flying.

Except there are plenty of airlines that nickel and dime you for the basics of flying.
Correct.

I disagree that is the same thing, because (ostensibly) those things are optional add-ons. Eg, you don't "need" to check a bag or have a carry-on, to fly on a plane.

Also the Swampers in Muscle Shoals and as mentioned, the studio/session musicians in Motown. I think people would be surprised at how many artists and bands back then had these few studio/session groups play on and rework the arrangements of many songs. ToTo was basically studio/session musicians who formed that band...played on, wrote and arranged a lot of hits for others before becoming ToTo.

I don't appreciate the derision. There are still those of us who do not own smartphones, some of us by choice. Believe it or not, there are those of us who get through life just fine without one. I suspect most people on these boards are too young to even remember a time before smartphones existed, but life without them was just fine.

I don't appreciate the derision. There are still those of us who do not own smartphones, some of us by choice. Believe it or not, there are those of us who get through life just fine without one. I suspect most people on these boards are too young to even remember a time before smartphones existed, but life without them was just fine.
That's fine. I'm sure they'll let you in if you go to will call.

Not if they make the tickets NFTs...:p
That's not actually that bad an idea. Granted, there is some craziness going around with NFTs, but something like a digital ticket stub only legally available to people who bought a ticket, it's possible it could catch on.

For most it shouldn't be an issue, but I could foresee this guy's services coming in handy for others...

DrRick.jpg

That's not actually that bad an idea. Granted, there is some craziness going around with NFTs, but something like a digital ticket stub only legally available to people who bought a ticket, it's possible it could catch on.
NFTs are just some text and a URL that links to a site ... that may or may not exist in the future.

There's ZERO security there.

NFTs are just some text and a URL that links to a site ... that may or may not exist in the future.
It doesn't even really matter if the site is there or not. The NFT itself is the "valuable" thing. They just put a link to a site so they don't have to embed the actual data of the digital asset into the blockchain, which would be ridiculously expensive.

Top Bottom