Mobile Tickets Only

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
In the recent full capacity announcement there was this note:

Minnesota will also be transitioning to mobile tickets for all ticketed events on campus. Additional information and tutorials will be shared directly with ticket holders. This transition to mobile tickets allows for improved ticket delivery and management features.

This makes me kind of sad. I get it, I expected it, but I really liked collecting paper tickets and so on. It was an event when they came in the mail.

Feels like the end of an era :(

I have some tickets like a 1991 game 6 world series ticket and so on, they're speical to me. Now it is just digital ephemera that will get lost.

Went through the same feelings with my twins season tickets.

Sorry if this was in there and I missed it, but does this cover how it will work with multiple people? i.e. if I go with a friend and we arrive at a different time and he is using one of my tickets and I am using the other?

Agreed. The day I got the season ticket package in the mail was a very good day. Logistically, I prefer the hard tickets as my wife and I have to bring in 3 kids, and don’t always leave the tailgating lot and arrive at the stadium at the same time, so having everything digital on one persons phone is less than ideal. Not that we can’t make it work, and not that it’s a dealbreaker, but I prefer hard tix.

Speaking of, I bought tickets to the Twins and what a pain in the ass. You need an MLB.com account, you need the MLB app on your phone, and the passwords between the two entities have different requirements. If I don’t want to have an app on my phone, and know I’m not going to transfer tix, I don’t know why I can’t buy as a guest on the website and download it to my Apple wallet. I’m going to sound like an old timer, but often when things are supposed to get more convenient, they actually get to be more of a pain. /end rant

Sorry if this was in there and I missed it, but does this cover how it will work with multiple people? i.e. if I go with a friend and we arrive at a different time and he is using one of my tickets and I am using the other?
Probably like the Twins where you have to transfer tickets. Hopefully, they are just PDFs of QR codes, and they don’t force you to have a proprietary app, so you can just email them.

I haven’t seen anything where they indicate exactly how the system is going to work yet. They did have digital only tickets to the spring game, and they were emailed. So you could just forward the email to somebody else and they could use that ticket.

In the recent full capacity announcement there was this note:

This makes me kind of sad. I get it, I expected it, but I really liked collecting paper tickets and so on. It was an event when they came in the mail.

Feels like the end of an era :(

I have some tickets like a 1991 game 6 world series ticket and so on, they're speical to me. Now it is just digital ephemera that will get lost.
Not if they make the tickets NFTs...:p

You can just transfer them to them.

They install the app and you enter their email or whatever and they get the tickets.

Not if they make the tickets NFTs...:p

Nothing like spending a ton of money for some text and a link to some no name website ... that might not / likely won't be there in the future ;)

I was there too! Yeah this year's team is awful. Very disappointing.
At least we got the comeback HRs... some fun.

Baseball is weird in that you can go and the team stink an you leave with NOTHING good happening sometimes.

Mobile only tickets will be declared illegal within a couple of years. There are serious problems with them.

Mobile only tickets will be declared illegal within a couple of years. There are serious problems with them.
Several pro teams have already used them exclusively for multiple years. I haven't heard of anyone moving to "declare them illegal."

Most venues will still allow you to pick up a paper/substitute ticket at will call if you don't have a smart phone etc. but it's not convenient.

Probably like the Twins where you have to transfer tickets. Hopefully, they are just PDFs of QR codes, and they don’t force you to have a proprietary app, so you can just email them.

I haven’t seen anything where they indicate exactly how the system is going to work yet. They did have digital only tickets to the spring game, and they were emailed. So you could just forward the email to somebody else and they could use that ticket.
Hopefully not because otherwise it's way too easy to sell multiples of the same ticket.

Hopefully they are all NFC tickets like the Vikings are doing. Just hold it up to a reader like Google Pay or Apple Pay.

Vikings, Lynx and Twins have been doing this for a few years. I'm not tech savvy and find the systems easy to use.

Works like a breeze with my Wild tickets...Of course my wife handles it.

I think overall mobile tickets are much easier to use but it's disappointing they aren't giving the option of paper tickets for people who prefer them or don't have a smartphone. I can't imagine they're saving that much money by getting rid of the paper tickets.

At the very least give people the option to buy a souvenir paper copy of their ticket after the game. Most of the time people won't use it but a few people will buy them every time and a lot of people might do it after memorable wins like against Penn State a couple years ago.

Timberwolves/Target Center system for mobile refreshes the QR code every 30 or 60 seconds. Not sure that'd work with TCF since it's a cellular freezing cold spot

Hopefully not because otherwise it's way too easy to sell multiples of the same ticket.

Hopefully they are all NFC tickets like the Vikings are doing. Just hold it up to a reader like Google Pay or Apple Pay.
Not every phone has NFC.

Just because the school isn't going to have official paper tickets printed and mailed out ... doesn't mean that people can't print their tickets/barcodes on their own physical paper and bring that to the stadium to get scanned.

I'm sure that is just fine. One barcode, one entry.

That can allow scalpers to continue, as well. Instead of a handful of physical tickets, they have a handful of physical printouts.

Not every phone has NFC.
Then the 3% of people that haven't entered the modern world can wait in line at will call. No need to continue to knowingly endorse ticket fraud because of a couple luddites.

"97 percent of fans entered venues using Ticketmaster technology during the 2018 season."

Top Bottom