Mo Ouch! - Injury Watch Thread

The only positive thing about this achilles injury is that ibrihim will be back next year, hopefully running harder for his professional aspirations. Would have won this game with him. We will be good this year with our O line but now not as great.

At the game he got up and I was hopeful but the he wasn't coming back.... :(

I hope PJ wont be doing Day by Day, Hour by Hour thing. I mean I get it he need to play close with CAB situation. Still very annoying.

You can put it in a boot. Some people walk on it without surgery. Wouldn’t read anything in to what he’s wearing post game but looked like at least a partial Achilles live
Thanks for clarifying - I didn't know that was possible with an achilles injury, hence the IIRC inclusion.

I'll still stand by second paragraph, as I feel it's valid regardless of Mo's injury -

I think it's silly to speculate on injuries based on a video that an "internet doctor" is commenting on - i'll wait to hear from the University on it.

Unless it's this doctor -

1630665178287.png

Mo's injury is really bumming me out. He just is such a game changer and singlehandedly occupies the D enough for Morgan to make some big throws.

With him in, I feel like they looked like an 8 win team at minimum and maybe more. With him out, unless one of the backups has a breakout year, I feel like 8 is the maximum and they could end up with as few as 5. Morgan can make some plays but they will really struggle to score against good defenses without a running threat. And they're not going to out slug many teams in a defensive battle.

People need to cut the doom and gloom. We have plenty of capable backs to carry the load if Mo is out for the year. Sure....nobody like Mo.....but we'll have guys step up. The offensive line is going to make whoever is running the ball look good.

I still think it is a calf muscle tear and not an Achilles problem. Not as serious, but still a couple month rehab.

I still think it is a calf muscle tear and not an Achilles problem. Not as serious, but still a couple month rehab.
I'm a real doctor not an internet one. It was definitely confusing. Video shows a pop/tear that happens suddenly with ankle hyperflexion so I immediately thought Achilles. Then, he got up and walked and I did not see his calf muscle bulging, so I think it is a calf muscle partial tear maybe? Time will tell, MRI is probably already done and they know what it is already.

People need to cut the doom and gloom. We have plenty of capable backs to carry the load if Mo is out for the year. Sure....nobody like Mo.....but we'll have guys step up. The offensive line is going to make whoever is running the ball look good.
I don’t think this is accurate. The drop from Ibrahim to Potts/Wiley is substantial. what would have been 4 yard runs will be 2 yard runs and that is a major impact for an offense that seems like it will need to rely on consistent drives as opposed to explosive plays.

I don’t think this is accurate. The drop from Ibrahim to Potts/Wiley is substantial. what would have been 4 yard runs will be 2 yard runs and that is a major impact for an offense that seems like it will need to rely on consistent drives as opposed to explosive plays.
marqueirse Irving or ky Thomas will be in the mix sooner rather than later.

Obviously I hope Mo is ok.

Not sure I see all the doom and gloom if we have to play other RBs. None of them are going to be as good as Mo, but I feel like we spent all offseason talking about how experienced or OL is and how deep our stable of RBs is.

Frankly, with how bad the defense looked, I'd be more concerned if we had injuries on that side of the ball that resulted in having the play the guys who got beat out for starting positions by the guys who played last night.

I'm a real doctor not an internet one. It was definitely confusing. Video shows a pop/tear that happens suddenly with ankle hyperflexion so I immediately thought Achilles. Then, he got up and walked and I did not see his calf muscle bulging, so I think it is a calf muscle partial tear maybe? Time will tell, MRI is probably already done and they know what it is already.
Yes, and when he walked the muscle didn’t move which is what happened to me when I tore mine. I had to walk with my toe pointed outwards for weeks until it healed itself. Of course he will have specialized care and could be better soon.

Maybe we have a freshman stud who can step up like Mo did.

marqueirse Irving or ky Thomas will be in the mix sooner rather than later.
I think Bryce Williams is the kid who gains most carries from the Mo injury.
He can run inside. Outside. Block. Catch the ball.

I've always been big on Bryce Williams. Not a Mo, but very solid backup for a similar running style.

I've always been big on Bryce Williams. Not a Mo, but very solid backup for a similar running style.
BW is ok but why is he 4th on the depth chart then?

If Mo is out for the season —-it’s lights out—the Gophers will have no run game —at least not a very good one
Potts is very good but is a different style back. Mo is great but is not the whole team guys' will step up.

I'm admittedly the last guy to panic when my main guy goes down to injury, but this will give the staff and team to show that they're more than just a one-man team.

Guessing the PJ is hitting practice this week-end with plans to make a few minor adjustments to cater to the strength of Mo's back-ups. He's also undoubtedly going to tell those guys that this is their chance to step up a level "which I completely believe you can do, otherwise I wouldn't have brought you on board". I'm sure he's going to ask, and expect his offensive line, quarterback and receivers to step up to fill the void. I think we've all seen plenty of sports examples of unexpected guys making a splash when the team needed them to step up.

Defensively, it seemed like every OSU touchdown was a big breakaway play. Obviously, as advertised, they have a LOT of speed. A little demoralizing, but let's be honest, the Buckeyes are going to be doing that to teams all season long.

I honestly did not see the entire game, but other than those 6-7 huge plays, did the Minnesota defense look fairly solid? I mean, every team has 6-7 major breakdowns per game (even when they win), but often, you can limit the damage to 20 yards instead of 50-60 yard touchdowns. When OSU does it to us, it's disappointing, but not that surprising. If a bunch of other teams do that to us, then I'll be more panicked about our defense.

Mo is THE only guy we can’t replace. Nobody else on the team is an elite college game changing talent. Mo is/was.
No doubt he is great.

But to me, it just means for example: instead of popping a 20-30 yarder for a touchdown ... we just have to grind a bit more and get that touchdown in 2-4 more plays.

I'm fine grinding for a few more plays each time to get the same result.

Potts isn't Mo, but he's more than serviceable to be the primary ball carrier.

100% that the next guy should be Williams, unless a younger guy can beat him out.

I don't know why they like Wiley in the backfield. He could be a good jet-sweep type guy or something like that for a change-up. He is not a hand-off out of the backfield running back. He's just not.

Might be time to get Irving and/or Ky Thomas in there for their shot to step up.

Someone will step up. Mo is great but we'll find someone (or a combination of backs) that can come close to his production.

Will miss Mo badly, but I'm excited to see what these guys can do. Heard a lot of good things about Bucky Irving
Agree. If we lose Mo all is not lost in the rushing game. If Mo is out, do folks think he’d actually return? I don’t, I think he’ll go pro. Next year, we could lose all of our starting O-Line, Mo knows that.
I guess one reason he’d return is if NFL scouts say his stock has dropped and recommend he returns to prove he’s recovered.

I don’t, I think he’ll go pro.
Would there be questions/doubts about how well he'll return from the surgery and recovery?

Not rooting against him, at all.

Just saying, if next spring he's a late round, but coming back for a solid 2022 year here gets him up to 2nd/3rd round?

Agree. If we lose Mo all is not lost in the rushing game. If Mo is out, do folks think he’d actually return? I don’t, I think he’ll go pro. Next year, we could lose all of our starting O-Line, Mo knows that.
I guess one reason he’d return is if NFL scouts say his stock has dropped and recommend he returns to prove he’s recovered.

I don't think he'll return regardless next season, but he's not going to be a highly drafted RB either. As good as he is between the tackles, he doesn't have the breakaway speed necessary for the NFL.

With the way he was walking on the sideline and in the boot, I'm not sure that this is a season ending injury. If it was, I think he would have been carted off and we wouldn't have seen him walking on his own again.

Top Bottom