MN has to win out to win the West

If we end up in a 3-way tie with, say Purdue and Illinois, and say we beat Illinois and Illinois beat Purdue, the our head-to-head loss to Purdue would not eliminate us.
Head to head tiebreakers still matter beyond the 1st tiebreaker In 3+ team tie.

Head to head tiebreakers still matter beyond the 1st tiebreaker In 3+ team tie.
Yes, as it should be.

It is too early to anoint anyone the Big West heir-apparent. We need to revisit this later on in the season.

We possibly have an exciting race to the finish. Stay tuned!

1665274745198.png

So you get to pick which teams to ignore in order to designate 'shitshow' status?

Do you even enjoy watching the 'shitshow' that is B1G football?
by shitshow i mean all the teams are close together and not much separating them, just kinda a mess, idk who i’m ignoring.

but to answer your question yea i enjoy watching it, & i’m kinda confused what you’re saying, are you trying to say the west is better than the east? maybe you aren’t i’m just genuinely asking

Purdue will not lose 3 BT games, they may not lose 2 BT games. Gophers blew it big time last week.

Fleck sliding a bit ever since he lost Ciarocca. Hopefully he’ll have stability in his coaching staff going forward with Ciarocca and Rossi, or will make a good hire if he doesn’t. Hopefully it’s nothing but up from here for the Gophers.
You should talk to some Purdue fans to lift your spirits
I think you may be right but my Purdue fan friends (I have 3) strongly disagree with you
But they are more cynical than gopher fans

Losing to Purdue took away any margin of error for the Gophers.

If they had beaten Purdue, they could have absorbed a loss (at Penn State, maybe) and still controlled their destiny.

Now, the only sure way to Win the West is for the Gophers to run the table, and that is going to be very difficult.

bottom line - the Gophers' offense has to play its best game of the season against Illinois. they cannot play from behind against good defensive teams.

Purdue is what they always are, they can’t run and they are average defensively at best. They may not lose another conf game because the competition is weak, but they are not a great team. I don’t care what they did in one game against the gophers.
Purdue wasn’t average defensively against us.

Inexcusable to give him his 23rd carry in the opening drive of the second half against MSU.
Inexcusable to put Mo back in the MSU game, which was already a total rout, for more runs after he had his ankle rolled up on. For a “conservative” coach, PJ makes some very weird high-risk, low-upside decisions.

“Flecks struggled since he lost KC, hopefully he now turns it around with KC, or makes a great hire?” Huh? You want to fire KC if we don’t win the west?
Who are you quoting, because it’s not me? Shakes head.

Are you aware of what an average is
An average, used as a noun, is a statistical calculation equal to the sum of all data points divided by the number of data points. Average, when used as an adjective, means typical or normal with no numerical inference (He was an average guy). Thus, Purdue could on the season be a statistically average defense, yet still have played a very above average game against us.

They were below average in some of their other games.
True. Kind of makes you wonder about our offensive game plan against Purdue. Purdue moves its DL around a lot, which can confuse the OL and create some numbers mismatches, … but also can leave some gaps not adequately covered by the D. We need to be able to exploit defenses that take such chances. And that is coaching and game plan as much as player execution.

People always make the mistake of looking at the schedule and assuming the favorites will win all the games. Before and during the season. I know I do sometimes.

Look how many assumptions have changed in just 6 weeks and a couple Big Ten games. More will change over the last 6-7 Big Ten games for each team. There are some forced losses as teams play each other and there will also be some mild upsets. Any West team could beat any other West team and it wouldn't be that surprising.

It's early, anything can happen, but I think you can make a scenario for every other BIG10 West team getting to 3 conference loses.
Not predicting every game, just getting each team other than Minnesota to 3 conference losses.

Minnesota loses at Penn State, win all remaining
Illinois loses to Minnesota and at Michigan
Purdue loses at Illinois and at Wisconsin
Nebraska loses to Minnesota and at Michigan
Northwestern loses at Minnesota
Iowa loses at Minnesota
Wisconsin loses to Minnesota

Will the Gophers win all but 1 remaining game? Only if the team that beat MSU shows up and the team that lost to Purdue stays away. It will be fun to see what happens

It's early, anything can happen, but I think you can make a scenario for every other BIG10 West team getting to 3 conference loses.
Not predicting every game, just getting each team other than Minnesota to 3 conference losses.

Minnesota loses at Penn State, win all remaining
Illinois loses to Minnesota and at Michigan
Purdue loses at Illinois and at Wisconsin
Nebraska loses to Minnesota and at Michigan
Northwestern loses at Minnesota
Iowa loses at Minnesota
Wisconsin loses to Minnesota

Will the Gophers win all but 1 remaining game? Only if the team that beat MSU shows up and the team that lost to Purdue stays away. It will be fun to see what happens
I think this is a pretty likely scenario
In fact, I think Nebraska beats Illinois Purdue this week.
I think Iowa loses a lot more than that

True. Kind of makes you wonder about our offensive game plan against Purdue. Purdue moves its DL around a lot, which can confuse the OL and create some numbers mismatches, … but also can leave some gaps not adequately covered by the D. We need to be able to exploit defenses that take such chances. And that is coaching and game plan as much as player execution.
Yes, I think it had a lot more to do with the Gophs offense sputtering than Pudue's defense.

Wait, wait, wait...

Nebraska, from the 'weak' B1G West, beat Rutgers, from the mighty B1G East?

Purdue, from the 'weak' B1G West, beat Maryland, from the mighty B1G East?

Not possible. I refuse to believe it.
Yep, we're only 1-1. But Purdue is an unstoppable juggernaut at 2-1.

And yet, we play in the 'weak' B1G West.

It's so confusing!
Nebraska and Purdue from the West beat Rutgers and Maryland from the East.

Is the East a 'shitshow' too?
Got it - you are on record as thinking the B1G West isn’t weak. You’re wrong, but you are entitled to your opinion. It is a group of average teams and a group of below average teams. The East having a some average and below average teams also doesn’t change that. The West is weak - compared to the East, compared to past West conferences, compared to just about any P5 conference. Don’t take it so personal - it is what it is.

Got it - you are on record as thinking the B1G West isn’t weak. You’re wrong, but you are entitled to your opinion. It is a group of average teams and a group of below average teams. The East having a some average and below average teams also doesn’t change that. The West is weak - compared to the East, compared to past West conferences, compared to just about any P5 conference. Don’t take it so personal - it is what it is.

How could I take it personally? We're exchanging opinions on an opinion board.

You think I'm wrong; no offense taken.
I think you're wrong in that I think the constant drumbeat in the media about the "weak" West is overstated. No offense intended.

How could I take it personally? We're exchanging opinions on an opinion board.

You think I'm wrong; no offense taken.
I think you're wrong in that I think the constant drumbeat in the media about the "weak" West is overstated. No offense intended.
Fair enough. But I suspect that we won’t have a single team from the West ranked in either poll today. That doesn’t exactly speak to the strength of the division.

Fair enough. But I suspect that we won’t have a single team from the West ranked in either poll today. That doesn’t exactly speak to the strength of the division.

You could make an argument that they knock each other off, though. Plus, it's a little early to put much stock in polls, in my opinion.

I read a lot of posts on here during and after the Iowa-Illinois game last night. The main thrust of the posts was the usual: it's two "mediocre" to "bad" teams. Blah, blah, blah.

It's funny; what I saw was tough, physical, old-school football. 'Buckle your chinstrap tight' stuff.

Yes, both offenses struggled. But could part of that be due to really good defense?

I guess you can tell I'm not a fan of basketball-on-grass style football, and I don't play video games.

Gotta love that we have some on here counting our losses before they even happen. That’s a horrible mentality to have. SMH!

Many of you will change your tune after we beat tOSU in the championship game.

Top Bottom