MN has to win out to win the West

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
Purdue will not lose 3 BT games, they may not lose 2 BT games. Gophers blew it big time last week.

Fleck sliding a bit ever since he lost Ciarocca. Hopefully he’ll have stability in his coaching staff going forward with Ciarocca and Rossi, or will make a good hire if he doesn’t. Hopefully it’s nothing but up from here for the Gophers.

Last edited:

I think its very possible they lose 2 of their last 6 giving them 3 big ten losses

My bad, I forgot Purdue lost to Penn St first game of the year. Gophers lose the tie breaker though right? I don’t think Purdue loses 2 more games this season.

If Mo stays healthy rest of the year, I do think there’s a chance we win out. Still going to be very difficult.

Just a bummer that we’re so reliant on him.

Thought last week was a great opportunity for the offense to show we’re more than just him. Did not pass that test.

Last week we panicked about Illinois winning west this week Purdue.

I think Purdue drops at least 2 .

10-2 Minnesota wins west.
9-3 gets dicey

Way too early for declarations like "we have to win out". The West is such a jumbled mess right now, it could go any number of ways over the remainder of the season. Unfortunate that Maryland wasn't able to get it done against Purdue but Purdue also doesn't strike me as a team that is just going to cruise to victories week in and week out.

Last week was a bummer....but we are still 4-1.....enjoy the ride.

Wait, wait, wait...

Nebraska, from the 'weak' B1G West, beat Rutgers, from the mighty B1G East?

Purdue, from the 'weak' B1G West, beat Maryland, from the mighty B1G East?

Not possible. I refuse to believe it.

If we're talking about the B1G West, we're 1-1, not 4-1.

Yep, we're only 1-1. But Purdue is an unstoppable juggernaut at 2-1.

And yet, we play in the 'weak' B1G West.

It's so confusing!

“Flecks struggled since he lost KC, hopefully he now turns it around with KC, or makes a great hire?” Huh? You want to fire KC if we don’t win the west?

Way too early for declarations like "we have to win out". The West is such a jumbled mess right now, it could go any number of ways over the remainder of the season. Unfortunate that Maryland wasn't able to get it done against Purdue but Purdue also doesn't strike me as a team that is just going to cruise to victories week in and week out.

Last week was a bummer....but we are still 4-1.....enjoy the ride.
Purdue is what they always are, they can’t run and they are average defensively at best. They may not lose another conf game because the competition is weak, but they are not a great team. I don’t care what they did in one game against the gophers.

You’re telling me you think 10-2 wouldn’t win this shitshow of a B1G West?

Purdue will not lose 3 BT games, they may not lose 2 BT games. Gophers blew it big time last week.

Fleck sliding a bit ever since he lost Ciarocca. Hopefully he’ll have stability in his coaching staff going forward with Ciarocca and Rossi, or will make a good hire if he doesn’t. Hopefully it’s nothing but up from here for the Gophers.
Purdue will lose 3 more games. Are you and I watching the same team? They have 8 turnovers in the last 3 weeks. Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois will drop them

Last edited:

Every B1G West team has one B1G conference loss, except for Wisconsin — the Badgers have two B1G conference losses.

Purdue holds a tiebreaker (repeat: TIEBREAKER) over Minnesota because the Boilers beat the Gophers head-to-head.

Since Purdue has 1 loss in the B1G and Minnesota has 1 loss in the B1G, Minnesota needs Purdue to finish with 1 more conference loss than the Gophers finish with.

Every B1G West team has one B1G conference loss, except for Wisconsin — the Badgers have two B1G conference losses.

Purdue holds a tiebreaker (repeat: TIEBREAKER) over Minnesota because the Boilers beat the Gophers head-to-head.

Since Purdue has 1 loss in the B1G and Minnesota has 1 loss in the B1G, Minnesota needs Purdue to finish with 1 more conference loss than the Gophers finish with.
True if it’s a two-way tie for first. False if it’s three or more teams, a real possibility this year.

Purdue will have a slip up or two.
Absolutely. I think big ten west champ has a absolute minimum of 2 losses in conference

Almost zero chance they win out with Illinois. Penn W and Iowa. Probably do well to split those games

True if it’s a two-way tie for first. False if it’s three or more teams, a real possibility this year.

My statement was that the Gophers need Purdue to finish with one more conference loss than Minnesota finishes with. How is that false?

The Gophers have played only two conference games so far. We've got a long way to go before I start to worry about tiebreakers involving three or more teams.

Last edited:

My statement was that the Gophers need Purdue to finish with one more conference loss than Minnesota finishes with. How is that false?

The Gophers have played only two conference games so far. We've got a long way to go before I start to worry about tiebreakers involving three or more teams.
If we end up in a 3-way tie with, say Purdue and Illinois, and say we beat Illinois and Illinois beat Purdue, the our head-to-head loss to Purdue would not eliminate us.

It’ll get weird once teams are out of it and kids going pro/transferring out start voluntarily sitting out. The game has changed

If we end up in a 3-way tie with, say Purdue and Illinois, and say we beat Illinois and Illinois beat Purdue, the our head-to-head loss to Purdue would not eliminate us.

Hmmm... what I stated was: Minnesota needs Purdue to finish with one more conference loss than Minnesota finishes with. That's what I said.

If Purdue has one more conference loss than Minnesota, Purdue will not be involved in any three-way tie with Minnesota.

What you're saying is there still may be a scenario in which we could beat out Purdue for the West even if we finish with the same record as them in-conference?

I didn't know that. Thanks!

Last edited:

Hmmm... what I stated was: Minnesota needs Purdue to finish with one more conference loss than Minnesota finishes with. That's what I said.

If Purdue has one more conference loss than Minnesota, Purdue will not be involved in any three-way tie with Minnesota.
And the truth is MN does NOT necessarily need Purdue to finish with one more conference loss than MN has, as I explained.

Top Bottom