MN has to win out to win the West

With a 12-team playoff, the SEC will get four teams in, the BIG will get four, the ACC one or two, and some also-rans will get the remainder.
So playing ten conference games will not be a competitive disadvantage.
Agree

That’s extremely optimistic. I don’t think there is much hope to have less than 3 losses. I could be pessimistic but I feel like the gophers have 2 more losses for sure. Hard to win big ten games on the road and as history has shown pj can’t beat Iowa anywhere.
I think you can remove the "could be" and replace it with "am" in the "I could be pessimistic". :)

Just for fun, take a look at our Big Ten Road Record over the past few years. Might not be quite a tough to win on the road in the Big Ten as you may think.

I think you can remove the "could be" and replace it with "am" in the "I could be pessimistic". :)

Just for fun, take a look at our Big Ten Road Record over the past few years. Might not be quite a tough to win on the road in the Big Ten as you may think.
And you have a solid point. I’m just basing it on what we have seen. They have played one good team and lost so far. Beat an extremely marginal msu and pounded on 3 tomato cans. I highly doubt they don’t lose 2 more games is just my take. I think they split between W and Iowa and split between Illinois and psu.

Gophers have a tough row to hoe: Illinois (depending on QB condition), Penn State, Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin are all tough games. The loss to Purdue was reminiscent of the losses to Illinois and Bowling Green last year. A lot depends on MO and on Morgan.

Gophers have a tough row to hoe: Illinois (depending on QB condition), Penn State, Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin are all tough games. The loss to Purdue was reminiscent of the losses to Illinois and Bowling Green last year. A lot depends on MO and on Morgan.
I mean sure....but you could make the identical statement about every other team in the West as well in terms of their remaining schedule.

MN can count on 2Bs showing an eight-man front to stop the run and blitzing, for Morgan seems to be discomfited if he gets bounced around a few times.
It will be a stern test for the MN OL and for the OC and PJ to have an imaginative passing game.

Purdue already lost to PSU as well, so if things play out as above sans another Purdue loss (so just Illinois and PSU), then division record will be the same and they'd go to the next tie breaker which is winning percentage against teams 3 - 7 in the division. Since they'd all be undefeated against those other teams, it would go to winning percentage against common opponents. Impossible to predict how that will shake out this far in advance, but I do like the mental gymnastics, lol. I think we're all hoping MN finishes 8-1 in conference and this becomes moot.
Good check of my work.

Chances of MN and Pur tying are best possibility IMO. I really don't see a 3rd team making it a 3 way tie.
Wisconsin is other team could be good enough if they put it together

Obviously they hadn’t as if two weeks ago

Still holding out hope. Need to get Illinois and Purdue to 4 losses. I can't see Northwestern helping the Gophers by beating either team. Illinois could lose to Michigan State, Purdue and Michigan which means Purdue would need to lose to Iowa and Indiana. And OF COURSE, the Gophers would need to win out.

Top Bottom