MN Daily: NFL should abolish 3-year rule, ya feel me?; let fresh/soph declare for NFL

That's an interesting thought. What if Football wanted to follow the Hockey system of development?

Kids who did not want to play in the college FB system could declare themselves for the Junior Football draft, and be assigned to teams, stay with host families, and get some basic/remedial education as needed to prepare themselves for real life. Teams could be based in smaller cities that do not have D1 or pro sports, and offer games at a reasonable ticket price. Players would have X # of years where they would be eligible to be drafted by the pros, and if they were not drafted by that point, they would "age out" of the developmental league.

It would take some deep pockets to get it off the ground, but it might work. Or I might be OD'ing on too much chocolate and be off my rocker.

That's an interesting thought. What if Football wanted to follow the Hockey system of development?

Kids who did not want to play in the college FB system could declare themselves for the Junior Football draft, and be assigned to teams, stay with host families, and get some basic/remedial education as needed to prepare themselves for real life. Teams could be based in smaller cities that do not have D1 or pro sports, and offer games at a reasonable ticket price. Players would have X # of years where they would be eligible to be drafted by the pros, and if they were not drafted by that point, they would "age out" of the developmental league.

It would take some deep pockets to get it off the ground, but it might work. Or I might be OD'ing on too much chocolate and be off my rocker.

Currently, the NFL uses the NCAA as a minor league other pro leagues have a development system in place. NBA has the D League, MLB uses their own pyramid system, NHL currently has three or four different development avenues but NFL doesn't.

The NFL can not afford to sponsor their own development league. Cripes they can't even afford to build their own stadiums.

The NFL can not afford to sponsor their own development league. Cripes they can't even afford to build their own stadiums.

Ok, then they can't keep playing regular season games in London. If they wanted to sponsor a development league there might be some takers.

NFL did have a development league. It was called NFL Europe. Must not have worked out, because it no longer exists.

Also. It is obviously a lot easier to know if a player is going to pan out after they have played against good competition in college, then random competition in high school. So why take the risk? It doesnt make sense for the NFL to have any type of development league

NFL did have a development league. It was called NFL Europe. Must not have worked out, because it no longer exists.

Also. It is obviously a lot easier to know if a player is going to pan out after they have played against good competition in college, then random competition in high school. So why take the risk? It doesnt make sense for the NFL to have any type of development league

On a side note, my cousin played 2 years in NFL Europe after graduating from Colorado and finally made the Pittsburgh roster for a couple of years and then went on to play Arena ball for 5 years. System worked fine for him.

It is not illegal to not hire someone but it is illegal to prohibit someone from applying for a position at your company. You may have hiring standards but you may not prohibit a legal adult citizen from applying.

Then a simple solution would be for the NFL to allow anyone to apply for the NFL draft. But if a player doesn't fit their requirements (3 years removed from HS), they can just throw it in the garbage.

The difference is that league had the same rules as the NFL as far as eligibility. It was made up of guys who couldn't make an NFL team. The point of a minor league would be to allow those that don't want to play in college to be able to play in this league.

I'm not sure how it would all be set up though. Would NFL teams have the rights to the players like in baseball? I don't think you could have 32 teams, so would you have eight teams with each team made up of players from four NFL teams? Then how would you figure out playing time?

If the NFL teams don't have the rights to the players, then who decides who makes the teams and who doesn't?

It is not illegal to not hire someone but it is illegal to prohibit someone from applying for a position at your company. You may have hiring standards but you may not prohibit a legal adult citizen from applying.

You can't be president until you're 35. Age discrimination.

The difference is that league had the same rules as the NFL as far as eligibility. It was made up of guys who couldn't make an NFL team. The point of a minor league would be to allow those that don't want to play in college to be able to play in this league.

I'm not sure how it would all be set up though. Would NFL teams have the rights to the players like in baseball? I don't think you could have 32 teams, so would you have eight teams with each team made up of players from four NFL teams? Then how would you figure out playing time?

If the NFL teams don't have the rights to the players, then who decides who makes the teams and who doesn't?

There are independent minor leagues - the Saint Paul Saints are independent. If a MLB team wants to sign one of the Saint's players, they can buy the contract from the Saints. Or if each minor league team signed players to single-year contracts, the NFL could simply draft minor league players just like the draft college players.

The law firm of Pearson Spector only hires Harvard Law grads. There is nothing that says they cannot do this, even if Mike Ross did beat the system.

tumblr_m2hhuwmJlg1qc49r2o3_500.gif

There are still companies that have mandatory retirement at a certain age for executives. Same with airline pilots. Do you want 90 year old Abe Simpson flying your airliner?

In reality, the age limit has nothing to do with the college game. It's the players association protecting jobs.

There are still companies that have mandatory retirement at a certain age for executives. Same with airline pilots. Do you want 90 year old Abe Simpson flying your airliner?

In reality, the age limit has nothing to do with the college game. It's the players association protecting jobs.

I think it is the owners. If the NFL could draft players right out of high school, teams would do so to make sure they got the right prospects. If you see that a QB is going to be really good, you might be tempted to draft him even if he's not ready. Since it would take longer for that player to be ready to be on the field, you would have to increase the size of the rosters to accommodate the prospects you are bringing in. If this forced an increase in roster size, this would benefit the players association.

Top Bottom