MN Daily: NFL should abolish 3-year rule, ya feel me?; let fresh/soph declare for NFL

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

If a freshman or sophomore thinks he is ready for football on Sundays, then he should be able to declare for the draft.

Those NFL teams can draft these guys at their discretion. If a kid declares and isn’t picked, that’s his fault.

There’s something fundamentally wrong with denying players the right to pursue a career based on age when their careers can take a turn for the worse on any play.

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/football/2013/10/07/column-nfl-should-abolish-3-year-rule-ya-feel-me

Go Gophers!!

There’s something fundamentally wrong with denying players the right to pursue a career based on age

OK - so then let's let 10- and 12-year-olds declare for the NFL draft. Can't discriminate on the basis of age, right?

per the Daily:

If a freshman or sophomore thinks he is ready for football on Sundays, then he should be able to declare for the draft.

Those NFL teams can draft these guys at their discretion. If a kid declares and isn’t picked, that’s his fault.

There’s something fundamentally wrong with denying players the right to pursue a career based on age when their careers can take a turn for the worse on any play.

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/football/2013/10/07/column-nfl-should-abolish-3-year-rule-ya-feel-me

Go Gophers!!

The NFL does what is best for the NFL, not for 18 year old kids.

The NFL does what is best for the NFL, not for 18 year old kids.

Just like Target Corp does what is best for them. Hire college grads for jobs at their headquarters. How is this any different? It is up to the employer, not the employee whether they are ready for the job.

Also. If an 18 year old is ready, go play for an employer willing to hire you. That isnt the NFL, but it may be the CFL, or Arena league.

And this "journalist" lost all respect when he included "ya feel me?" in his headline.

If the NFL wants to let younger players into the draft, that's their business. I would welcome a D-League for players who don't want to go to college. If the NFL doesn't want to create a minor league, then let someone else start one. There are a number of indoor leagues, there might be a market for minor league outdoor football. Have it in the summer when there's not much competition besides baseball. The season could end well before NFL training camp. It's not the NCAA's fault that the NFL won't do something.

If the NFL wants to let younger players into the draft, that's their business. I would welcome a D-League for players who don't want to go to college. If the NFL doesn't want to create a minor league, then let someone else start one. There are a number of indoor leagues, there might be a market for minor league outdoor football. Have it in the summer when there's not much competition besides football. The season could end well before NFL training camp. It's not the NCAA's fault that the NFL won't do something.

?baseball?

Sure, in theory, 18 and 19-year olds are free to go out and get any job they want - but in reality, if you want a good-paying job, it requires some type of training. Doctors, lawyers, engineers, even journalists typically spend 4+ years in college gaining the skills they need to make themselves marketable in the workplace. And if you're going into auto mechanics, plumbing, or some other trade, then there is typically some training, maybe technical school, and an apprenticeship.

In what line of work can an untrained 18 or 19-yr old start earning big bucks up front? Sports (NBA, maybe Baseball) and entertainment (acting, singing - although those fields also require training and education, which can be done at a younger age.)

In other words, the logic behind the Daily article is seriously flawed.

If the NFL wants to let younger players into the draft, that's their business. I would welcome a D-League for players who don't want to go to college. If the NFL doesn't want to create a minor league, then let someone else start one. There are a number of indoor leagues, there might be a market for minor league outdoor football. Have it in the summer when there's not much competition besides baseball. The season could end well before NFL training camp. It's not the NCAA's fault that the NFL won't do something.

A D-League would probably hurt college football - imagine Omaha with a feeder NFL team with players as good or better than those at UN in Lincoln.

The NFL has a free developmental league in the NCAA.

And this "journalist" lost all respect when he included "ya feel me?" in his headline.
I gather "Ya Feel Me?" is a recurring column in The Daily, based on the links here. I thought is was lame too, until I realized it was probably just some journalism student who still thinks jive talking in print is cool.

As it is, people can watch the NFL with even better players than in college, and college football still goes on. Not all of the top players would opt for the D-League, the minor league lifestyle isn't that luxurious. There are plenty of baseball players who choose college instead of the minor leagues.

A D-League might bring some parity to college football: the colleges most likely to be impacted would be the colleges with the most recruits who can expect to make the NFL. I think it would be good for college football if players who don't want to be in college don't have to be in college to play football.

I gather "Ya Feel Me?" is a recurring column in The Daily, based on the links here. I thought is was lame too, until I realized it was probably just some journalism student who still thinks jive talking in print is cool.

I'd like it if our QB talked Jive while barking out signals.

Funchess could play in the NFL right now and I imagine a bunch of other sophomores could as well. I don't know what the NFL should do, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see draft eligibility creep down a grade.

This would be a disaster for a bunch of players. They've been told their whole life they're very good and can do anything they want. Competitors generally have a huge ego and think they are better than they really are.

I personally think it would hurt the quality of the NFL as they would have not as good of players on their team because they would draft more and more based on the potential of the player.

This would be a disaster for a bunch of players. They've been told their whole life they're very good and can do anything they want. Competitors generally have a huge ego and think they are better than they really are.

I personally think it would hurt the quality of the NFL as they would have not as good of players on their team because they would draft more and more based on the potential of the player.

Agree. The sports world is filled with a bunch of highly-hyped high school baseball players that never cracked AA. And look at the NBA "draft 'em out of high school" approach and how many guys were dashed on the proverbial rocks by that. Granted, a lot of those guys cashed in with big signing bonuses, but the point remains.

I think there are some skilled position guys and defensive backs who are physically ready after their freshman or sophomore year to make the jump to the NFL (although it would be rare), but most other positions require much more physical development and seasoning.

Constitutionally, they should be allowed to apply for a job.

At the same time, college is not the place for some of these players either as we have seen with academic problems around the nation. There needs to be a minor league, but there is absolutely no incentive for either the NCAA or NFL to have one.

Constitutionally, they should be allowed to apply for a job.

Please cite the article of the Constitution that states that a company may not have prerequisites for hiring. Or even implies it.

Accenture hires only college graduates. No one seems too worked up over that.

Please cite the article of the Constitution that states that a company may not have prerequisites for hiring. Or even implies it.

Accenture hires only college graduates. No one seems too worked up over that.

Could it be a form of age discrimination? Not constitutional. How about some form of non-compete law? Most non competes can't go longer than a year.

Minor Leagues have been created in NFL Europe, XFL, WAFL, and the UFL. Also, two other professionals leagues have been created and folded in the WFL and USFL. I understand your thoughts on playing in the summer which is possible and what the USFL did during its existence, but there are issues with that as well. There have been multiple books that described the problems with the USFL from financial and attendance.

It is not illegal to not hire someone but it is illegal to prohibit someone from applying for a position at your company. You may have hiring standards but you may not prohibit a legal adult citizen from applying.

Minor Leagues have been created in NFL Europe, XFL, WAFL, and the UFL. Also, two other professionals leagues have been created and folded in the WFL and USFL. I understand your thoughts on playing in the summer which is possible and what the USFL did during its existence, but there are issues with that as well. There have been multiple books that described the problems with the USFL from financial and attendance.

Minor leagues existed, yes. But they all had the same model as the NFL, only taking players who have used up their college eligibility or who have finished their junior year. The USFL and the WFL weren't minor leagues, or at least they tried not to be, they tried to be competitors to the NFL. The WAFL wasn't a sell in Europe, but it's a pretty hard sell to get people who don't watch American football to follow a minor league. The XFL couldn't deliver what it promised, people expected something like pro wrestling or a video game.

There is plenty of minor league football out there - most of it is just indoor. There are a number of indoor football leagues, not just the Arena League. Bemidji is getting a franchise in the Indoor Football League in 2014, I think I will take in a game.

Arena Football League/Af2 - (1987–present)
American Indoor Football (2007–2010, 2012–future)
American Professional Football League 2003–present
Champions Professional Indoor Football League 2013-future
Continental Indoor Football League 2006–present
Indoor Football League 2008–present
Lone Star Football League 2012–present
Professional Indoor Football League 2012–present
Ultimate Indoor Football League 2011–present

A league that isn't leftovers from the NFL, but some of the best players out of high school, who you may well see on NFL fields in the future might do well.

It is not illegal to not hire someone but it is illegal to prohibit someone from applying for a position at your company. You may have hiring standards but you may not prohibit a legal adult citizen from applying.

Didn't the courts already rule in favor of the nfl regarding this via Maurice Clarett?

Yep - It is a recurring column. For some reason the Daily just can't get it right on most sports columnists. Columnists in other subjects are actually quite good/creative and make an interesting read.

The law firm of Pearson Spector only hires Harvard Law grads. There is nothing that says they cannot do this, even if Mike Ross did beat the system.

per the Daily:

Go Gophers!!

It's time for Major Junior Football!!! The league should be made up of 16 to 20 year old non-student athletes who want to to play 16 games a year.

Top Bottom