Mizzou to the Big Ten?

I think Notre Dame would probably be the best fit of any school if the Big 10 and ND would go for it.

So close to OSU, IU, IL, NU, WI, much closer to everyone than Penn State, not to mention the storied tradition of it's program that would fit in well with the Big 10.

I don't want Notre Dame and their cocky d0uchebaggery here.

Mizzou is an okay fit. They bring in a new market (KC, St. Louis), are okay academically (AAU member, #102 US News & World Report ranking), have a solid basketball program (so-called best school without a final four appearance), and their football program has been great recently.

edit: lol, that's a dramatic swear filter.

In my opinion the academics don't fit and in my opinion the Big 10 is an academic first conference, which makes us special.

I think Notre Dame would probably be the best fit of any school if the Big 10 and ND would go for it.

So close to OSU, IU, IL, NU, WI, much closer to everyone than Penn State, not to mention the storied tradition of it's program that would fit in well with the Big 10.

I agree that Notre Dame would be a great fit for the Big 10 and that notion has been discussed for years. But I disagree that ND would go for it - they have a sweetheart deal with NBC for television rights to ND football - they make a ton of money off of it and don't have to share it with anyone - for that reason alone, it's very unlikely ND could be persuaded to join the Big 10.

I agree that Notre Dame would be a great fit for the Big 10 and that notion has been discussed for years. But I disagree that ND would go for it - they have a sweetheart deal with NBC for television rights to ND football - they make a ton of money off of it and don't have to share it with anyone - for that reason alone, it's very unlikely ND could be persuaded to join the Big 10.

when does that deal run out? theyre playing like crap. after that deal is done methinks NBC might me less likely to renew

As Studwell said on the football board, no slave states in the Big Ten, please.

As Studwell said on the football board, no slave states in the Big Ten, please.

I honestly cannot believe comments like this in the year 2009. Honestly, what the heck does that have to do with anything? Nothing. Maybe the guy who posted about Royce White that I thought was a troll has a point.

Big news is coming on this front. According to this Chicago Tribune article, a league official has said that the Big Ten will release a statement Tuesday saying the matter has moved to the front burner, and is officially considering expanding. This whole expansion thing is getting interesting, fast.

Some interesting new posts on the football board, too.

I assume

I assume there would be two 6 team "conferences" and a Big Ten Championship game...

hmmm...

if we did swoop and take mizzou, i wonder who the big 12 would look to pick up? probably tcu?

if so, there would be two "big 12" leagues...

LOL

if we did swoop and take mizzou, i wonder who the big 12 would look to pick up? probably tcu?

We can still be the BIG TEN but we can officially no longer offer degrees in Math!

We were on probation when we added Penn State.

:) :) :)

Actually our official title would be the "BIG TEN and the little two"

Man the torpedoes, full steam ahead. I am totally... :confused:

We can still be the BIG TEN but we can officially no longer offer degrees in Math!

We were on probation when we added Penn State.

:) :) :)

I would certainly vote to keep the name. The conference hasn't had 10 teams for 15+ years, what's the difference if it now has 12? There's decades of tradition to the name, and that's all it is, a name, not a descriptive moniker.

Chadypu,

>>in my opinion the Big 10 is an academic first conference, which makes us special.<<

Dream on. To pretend that every Big Ten school scholarships only top students is naive. High entry standards in writing, perhaps, but every school in every major conference has academic exceptions available for their athletes--often as many as 200-300. It's all about winning and keeping them eligible.

Please Please No Mizzou

I have spent some time in Columbia, MO. It is the middle of nowhere and maybe the most boring college town I have visited. It makes Iowa City feel like a roaring metropolis.

Columbia's reputaton is as a college town with lots of party action. Small enough that the university dominates every aspect. You're right that it wouldn't fit right in with some of the Big Ten's more urban settings. I can't imagine Misssouri giving up its rivalry with Kansas.

Columbia's reputaton is as a college town with lots of party action. Small enough that the university dominates every aspect. You're right that it wouldn't fit right in with some of the Big Ten's more urban settings. I can't imagine Misssouri giving up its rivalry with Kansas.

What it loses with Kansas it gains with Illinois. It's basically a swap. They'd likely play Kansas in non-conference for most sports just as they now do with Illinois.

IMO, MU-Illini doesn't come close to the MU-KU rivalry/hatred. Mizzou plays KU once per season in FB and at least twice per season in BB and occasionally three times.

What schools are in urban settings besides us and Northwestern and maybe Columbus? Iowa City, Champagne, West Lafeyette, University Park, Ann Arbor, Bloomington, East Lansing are not urban settings. And Madison is not a large city either. I think Mizzou fits in the best.

What schools are in urban settings besides us and Northwestern and maybe Columbus? Iowa City, Champagne, West Lafeyette, University Park, Ann Arbor, Bloomington, East Lansing are not urban settings. And Madison is not a large city either. I think Mizzou fits in the best.

Doesn't Madison have over 220,000 people in it?

The Madison MSA is the same size as the Des Moines MSA. I do not consider that a large city either. I guess we all have different ideas of what a large city is. I think over 1 million in the MSA.

Yeah, that pathetic point really needed to be broad to this side, too.

It's a regional marker, and conferences should maintain regional integrity.

Cross the border into MN-WI-IA-IL-MI and you are in the same cultural region. Cross the border in Missouri and you are not. Missouri is not Big Ten country.

It's a regional marker, and conferences should maintain regional integrity.

Cross the border into MN-WI-IA-IL-MI and you are in the same cultural region. Cross the border in Missouri and you are not. Missouri is not Big Ten country.
If that's your opinion, then it's a fine way to state it. His statement isn't really appropriate.

Notre Dame, Pitt, or bust.

Abe Simpson said it best...

"I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I recognize Missourah."

If that's your opinion, then it's a fine way to state it. His statement isn't really appropriate.

It's just fact.

Let me put it in a gentler way. Minnesota kids were probably shooting at Missouri kids at Gettysburg. So my policy is the following: no state is allowed in the B10 whose residents we were (collectively) trying to kill in the first week of July in 1863.

Confirmed: The First Missouri Confederate Brigade was at Gettysburg, no doubt out-witted and over-matched by the Minnesota First Infantry.

It's just fact.

Let me put it in a gentler way. Minnesota kids were probably shooting at Missouri kids at Gettysburg. So my policy is the following: no state is allowed in the B10 whose residents we were (collectively) trying to kill in the first week of July in 1863. :cool02:
Good thing you're not making the decisions then, because that's just pathetic.

Top Bottom