Minnesota Vs. Maryland 2021 - Media Predictions

"Omaha World-Herald has Minnesota winning 24-17
Another big “culture” game for P.J. Fleck, who tooted his own horn after beating Nebraska and drew the ire of a Minneapolis Star-Tribune columnist. Fleck is quick to praise quarterback Tanner Morgan, but he does have a habit of trying too hard. He’s a decent guy and a good coach. He can scale back on the sales routine."

I am sure that StarTrib and Souhan appreciate the extra clicks from this.
At least they didn't refer to him as a reporter.

I'm not his employer, I'm not his supervisor, and I'm not an expert — at all — in designing and implementing an offensive game plan and/or calling a game.

We have plenty of opinions on offensive play calling expressed here. More than enough, I'd say. It's a really popular topic on this board and on pretty much every opinion board. My 'insight' into offensive play calling would be no better or worse than any other. It wouldn't add anything at all. And, for whatever reason, I seem to lack this intense need that so many other people have to second-guess the play calling. I prefer to post about other topics. Sorry.

But... you be you, man.
Hilarious. Thanks for a load of chicken crap. Way to stand up. LOL.

Stat Salt has Maryland winning the game Saturday
The Maryland Terrapins are the better program at this stage of the season(?????), especially with the Minnesota Golden Gophers having to figure out how to be a good offense without their best runner. Trey Potts has an undisclosed injury and will miss the remainder of the season so that is a brutal blow to their chances here, especially as they try to figure out the schemes without him.

Tagovailoa is not great as a quarterback but he is a lot better and more accurate than Morgan. All in all, go with the Maryland Terrapins to cover the spread on the road.

Technically....they are saying to take the five points. Doesn't predict that Maryland will win the game.

At Off Tackle Empire (Big Ten SB Nation), 12 writers are going for Minnesota, 4 are picking Maryland
misdreavus79: There was a point where both of these teams were thought of as better and worse than originally anticipated, but I’m giving Maryland the edge here because they’re coming off a bye.

HWAHSQB: These teams are both pretty capable of being random number generators. misdreavus mentions the Maryland bye. That means they’ve had extra coaching from Locks and seals the deal for me. I’m taking the Gophers.

WSR: For some reason, Maryland terrifies me more than Purdue did. That team is beat to hell and that should be enough for a Gophers squad with momentum (and health at every position except RB) to get through this, but I’ll still be biting my fingernails to the 2nd knuckle until we get a 3-score lead (if we can get a 3-score lead).

RockyMtnBlue: Maryland lives and dies with their offensive skill guys, and they’ve been dropping like flies. Minny wins the war of attrition.

MNW:
Does the Maryland that hits random bombs to random players show up? I don’t know! I think the Gophers could push them back at the point of attack, but Minnesota can also devolve into nothing but RUTM and two-hopped Tanner Morgan passes at the drop of a hat. Maryland’s already turned into a pumpkin...but it’s not Minnesota’s week. Yet.

Bleacher Report are well known dinks. We’ve been saying it for years. Can’t hear the name Weinrib and not instantly think “dink”
I'm glad they're not unanimous in the Gophers winning. That would jinx it.

Technically....they are saying to take the five points. Doesn't predict that Maryland will win the game.
True, but their reasoning behind why you should take the points is really faulty, so anyone using them for gambling advice is getting misled.

At Off Tackle Empire (Big Ten SB Nation), 12 writers are going for Minnesota, 4 are picking Maryland
misdreavus79: There was a point where both of these teams were thought of as better and worse than originally anticipated, but I’m giving Maryland the edge here because they’re coming off a bye.

HWAHSQB: These teams are both pretty capable of being random number generators. misdreavus mentions the Maryland bye. That means they’ve had extra coaching from Locks and seals the deal for me. I’m taking the Gophers.

WSR: For some reason, Maryland terrifies me more than Purdue did. That team is beat to hell and that should be enough for a Gophers squad with momentum (and health at every position except RB) to get through this, but I’ll still be biting my fingernails to the 2nd knuckle until we get a 3-score lead (if we can get a 3-score lead).

RockyMtnBlue: Maryland lives and dies with their offensive skill guys, and they’ve been dropping like flies. Minny wins the war of attrition.

MNW: Does the Maryland that hits random bombs to random players show up? I don’t know! I think the Gophers could push them back at the point of attack, but Minnesota can also devolve into nothing but RUTM and two-hopped Tanner Morgan passes at the drop of a hat. Maryland’s already turned into a pumpkin...but it’s not Minnesota’s week. Yet.
To MNW's point I might contend that we already turned into a pumpkin a couple weeks ago and figured out how to change back. :)

Winners and Whiners has the Gophers winning
It's going to be a cold one in Minnesota and I don't think Maryland will be able to pass the ball as effectively as usual. I was leaning toward them originally coming off a bye and with Iowa coming up for Minnesota.
I mean, I suppose strictly speaking the Iowa game is coming up, but what are Northwestern, Illinois, and Indiana, chopped liver?

More predictions are in from the Daily Gopher (SB Nation) staff
GoAUpher has Minnesota winning 27-21. Maryland is missing more than a few players to injury. At least tentatively, Minnesota has shown the ability to adjust their offense to do things they’re actually successful at. The defense remains capable. Until we turtle back into the team that lost to Bowling Green I’m going to pick Minnesota to win over a squad that is certainly at roughly the same tier of the Big Ten.

GopherGuy05 has Minnesota winning 30-24. The law of 30. Minnesota has scored 30 or 31 in four out of six games this season. Won’t change this week either.

GopherNation has Minnesota winning 49-3. The Gophers are just so good I cannot fathom any possible scenario where we don’t beat this opponent by close to 50. Iowa beat them by 37, Purdue beat Iowa by 17 and we beat Purdue by 7. So by my math, we should really win by 61. I’ll settle for just a 46-point win.

Hipster Gopher predicts a 31-10 Minnesota victory. Matching the game score from 2016. I’d love to see our Howphers score even more points to wipe the taste of last year's Maryland game out of my mouth. NOTE: Hipster’s bit is that he picks using scores from previous matchups between the teams.

Mowe0018 has Minnesota winning 31-23. While the Gophers are at home, Maryland is coming off of a bye. However, the Terrapins have been hurt at a couple of spots by injuries. Seeing Maryland ranked 91st in FEI this week emboldened me with the courage to pick Minnesota. Outside of a smack down of Howard, Maryland’s results have been lackluster. But in 2021, who knows?

White Speed Receiver is predicting a 24-13 Minnesota win. We’re going to be frustrated at times, but we’re fine.

WildCatToo has Minnesota winning 24-17. I’m actually not sure how this will go, and we have laid eggs against bad Maryland teams before. Just going with the homer pick here.

Zips Of Akron has Maryland winning 31-28. Existence is pain and we’re clearly being lured in only to have the rug pulled out from under us. Will it be this week? I’m having a good time, but my eyes are wide [expletive] open.

OK the Gopher coaches read our post before Nebraska game and inserted a pass for Kramer. This week I'd like to see more RPO for Kramer.
Halfback option pass.

If I ever cross paths with ZOA, he's walking away with a black eye! He continues to be the biggest dink at DG!!

Halfback option pass.

Love it!

The term "halfback"... haven't heard that in a good long while.

It gave me a flashback to when I was a kid, watching The Murray Warmath Show on our console TV with my Dad in our family room. Murray narrating the film highlights from the previous game (and they were on film), saying in his deep southern drawl, "Here's Craig Curry throwin' a forward pass to Doug Kingsriter..."

Last edited:

Top Bottom