Minnesota Vs. Maryland 2021 - Media Predictions

Alabama -- because as Icebox astutely pointed out -- those teams can still run the ball extremely well -- and they have studs out wide and a dynamic quarterback.

I guess you're right. Ohio State under Tressel had extremely pedestrian QBs and WRs.

I concede to you and the rest of the keyboard coordinators: passing much more frequently is the obvious road to winning in the B1G.

I guess you're right. Ohio State under Tressel had extremely pedestrian QBs and WRs.

I concede to you and the rest of the keyboard coordinators: passing much more frequently is the obvious road to winning in the B1G.
The key to winning in the BIG or anywhere else is to keep the opponent guessing as to what is coming. The more the opposing defense has to actually defend against, the better the opportunity for offense to succeed. This strategy entails a mix of run and pass and variations off each.

It's not really complicated. The game segments where the Gophers have played poorly on offense this season have coincided with Sanford's refusal to keep the defense even slightly on edge.

The key to winning in the BIG or anywhere else is to keep the opponent guessing as to what is coming. The more the opposing defense has to actually defend against, the better the opportunity for offense to succeed. This strategy entails a mix of run and pass and variations off each.

It's not really complicated. The game segments where the Gophers have played poorly on offense this season have coincided with Sanford's refusal to keep the defense even slightly on edge.

"The element of surprise": every keyboard coordinator worth his salt understands this vital, vital concept.

It's a shame the actual coordinators always seem so clueless on this point.

Anyone have thoughts on a hypothetical tressel 20 years ago vs Saban now match up? One thing to know…the game will be played in outer space
Outer space definitely favors the Air Raid strategy--Mike Leach comes out of the coordinator's booth to sweep both teams off the field.

Rec for keyboard coordinators!!!!

back to media predictions - I think there is a feeling among some quarters that, if you are not blowing out teams, you can't be really good. because of the style they play, the Gophers tend to have mostly close games. a 7-point win is still a win - but to the national media, it doesn't grab the attention the way a 30-point win does.

so I think that is why some of the national media has doubts about the Gophers. that, and that pesky Bowling Green game.

back to media predictions - I think there is a feeling among some quarters that, if you are not blowing out teams, you can't be really good. because of the style they play, the Gophers tend to have mostly close games. a 7-point win is still a win - but to the national media, it doesn't grab the attention the way a 30-point win does.

so I think that is why some of the national media has doubts about the Gophers. that, and that pesky Bowling Green game.
Speak of the Devil

Go Iowa Awesome has Maryland winning 34-17
Sorry, Gophers. I simply cannot take a team that lost to Bowling Green seriously.

Last edited:

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that one of Tressel's typical Ohio State teams is going to play one of Saban's typical Alabama teams in a November game at the Horseshoe.

Without knowing anything else, who would you pick?
How about one of Saban’s typical Bama teams vs the Miami team that Tressell beat for the natty?

Black Shoe Diaries (Penn State SB Nation) has Minnesota edging Maryland 21-20
Again, I might have been a bit too hard on Minnesota after they lost to Bowling Green. Which is a pretty egregious loss, don’t get me wrong. But they’re sitting at 4-2, and actually control their own destiny in the West. Maryland I’m more ambivalent about, but that has more to do with some injuries they’ve suffered. Another coinflip, and I’ll go with the Gophers in another close game.

We should be keeping tabs on the number of times the Bowling Green game is brought up in these predictions as the reason for why the picker is going against us or showing less faith in us... :)

"The element of surprise": every keyboard coordinator worth his salt understands this vital, vital concept.

It's a shame the actual coordinators always seem so clueless on this point.
Not all actual coordinators.

Murray ... Just for the record how do you rate the job Mike Sanford has done in his tenure as Minnesota OC?

We should be keeping tabs on the number of times the Bowling Green game is brought up in these predictions as the reason for why the picker is going against us or showing less faith in us... :)
So far I've counted at least 13 Bowling Green references in the final/overall predictions I've posted.
  • Vs. Maryland, Black Shoe Diaries picked Minnesota
  • Vs. Maryland, Go Iowa Awesome picked Maryland
  • Vs. Maryland, MLive was split
  • Vs. Maryland, Yardbarker picked Minnesota
  • Vs. Nebraska, College Football News picked Nebraska
  • Vs. Nebraska, MLive picked Minnesota
  • @ Purdue, Picks and Parlays picked Purdue
  • @ Purdue, Athlon Sports picked Purdue
  • @ Purdue, MLive was split
  • @ Purdue, Omaha World-Herald picked Minnesota
  • @ Purdue, Maize N Brew picked Purdue
  • @ Purdue, Daily Gopher picked Minnesota
  • @ Purdue, Hammer and Rails was split
I'm sure more of them referenced it in other paragraphs, but just 13 have made it part of their main take on if the Gophers will be successful.

So far I've counted at least 13 Bowling Green references in the final/overall predictions I've posted.
  • Vs. Maryland, Black Shoe Diaries picked Minnesota
  • Vs. Maryland, Go Iowa Awesome picked Maryland
  • Vs. Maryland, MLive was split
  • Vs. Maryland, Yardbarker picked Minnesota
  • Vs. Nebraska, College Football News picked Nebraska
  • Vs. Nebraska, MLive picked Minnesota
  • @ Purdue, Picks and Parlays picked Purdue
  • @ Purdue, Athlon Sports picked Purdue
  • @ Purdue, MLive was split
  • @ Purdue, Omaha World-Herald picked Minnesota
  • @ Purdue, Maize N Brew picked Purdue
  • @ Purdue, Daily Gopher picked Minnesota
  • @ Purdue, Hammer and Rails was split

Well done, IceBoxGopher. This will be a fun theme to track as we move forward.

OK the Gopher coaches read our post before Nebraska game and inserted a pass for Kramer. This week I'd like to see more RPO for Kramer.

It's the perfect answer, because it gets right to the heart of the matter. And I think it may have struck a nerve.
No nerve srtruck dreamer. It's a simple question -- what is your OPINION of the job Sanford has done? In comparison to other highly paid professionals in his trade?

All the comments here are just amateur opinions. Have a go.

No nerve srtruck dreamer. It's a simple question -- what is your OPINION of the job Sanford has done? In comparison to other highly paid professionals in his trade?

All the comments here are just amateur opinions. Have a go.

I'm not his employer, I'm not his supervisor, and I'm not an expert — at all — in designing and implementing an offensive game plan and/or calling a game.

We have plenty of opinions on offensive play calling expressed here. More than enough, I'd say. It's a really popular topic on this board and on pretty much every opinion board. My 'insight' into offensive play calling would be no better or worse than any other. It wouldn't add anything at all. And, for whatever reason, I seem to lack this intense need that so many other people have to second-guess the play calling. I prefer to post about other topics. Sorry.

But... you be you, man.

Gopher Illustrated (247 Sports) has Minnesota winning 31-20
I understand that Maryland has won three of the last four years against Minnesota, but here in 2021, this is a home game the Gophers should win. The Terrapins have lost two of their top receivers, their best pass-rusher, their top corner and their second-best corner has a hamstring injury.

I get that Minnesota's got their own injury issues at the running back position, but this is also a Maryland team that has been boat-raced the last two weeks. Yes, it was against top-12 teams in Iowa and Ohio State, but getting out-scored 117-31 isn't the way you wanted to go into the IDLE week.

I expect to see a much better effort from Maryland this weekend in Minneapolis with an extra week to prepare, but I don't know that the Terrapins have bodies to earn the win. If this game was played in early September, it's a different story, but injuries are a part of college football.

Morgan throws three touchdowns and the Gophers get a late score to seal it.

Maize N Brew (Michigan SB Nation) is going with Minnesota
The Terrapins have been blown out in two straight games, are missing top wideout Dontay Demus and are a far cry from the team they were heading into their showdown against Iowa. After wins over Purdue and Nebraska, the Golden Gophers right now might be the wrong team to try to bust out of a slump against.

Despite losing running backs Mo Ibrahim and Trey Potts for the season, Bryce Williams stepped up for a 127-yard day against the Huskers, while Tanner Morgan had his best game of the season. Minnesota just keeps finding ways to win.

Spartans Wire (USA Today) has all three writers going with Minnesota

Omaha World-Herald has Minnesota winning 24-17
Another big “culture” game for P.J. Fleck, who tooted his own horn after beating Nebraska and drew the ire of a Minneapolis Star-Tribune columnist. Fleck is quick to praise quarterback Tanner Morgan, but he does have a habit of trying too hard. He’s a decent guy and a good coach. He can scale back on the sales routine.

At the Detroit News, all four writers are taking Minnesota

Winners and Whiners has the Gophers winning
It's going to be a cold one in Minnesota and I don't think Maryland will be able to pass the ball as effectively as usual. I was leaning toward them originally coming off a bye and with Iowa coming up for Minnesota.

But Iowa is also coming off a loss, so that game isn't as special. The injuries for Maryland on the offensive side are brutal. The fact that Minnesota allows just 86.8 yards per game on the ground means the Terps are going to struggle to run.

P.J. Fleck will show some film from last season so the Gophers have revenge on their minds. Take the home team.

Bet Sided (Fansided) has Minnesota winning
While [Maryland] does have a talented offense led by Taulia Tagovailoa, the roster has been hit with several untimely injuries. Specifically, the loss of Dontay Demus Jr. to a knee injury will hurt them moving forward. Tagoaviloa is completing 72 percent of his passes and has 1,776 yards to date, but losing his top option will hurt.

Minnesota has its own share of injury issues heading into this game with their running game down to 3rd and 4th string players. Both Treyson Potts and Mo Ibraham are out for the rest of the season. That leaves Mar’Keise Irving (78 yards, 1 TD) and Bryce Williams (129 yards, 2 TD) to handle the brunt of the workload moving forward. Williams took over for Potts and had a great game, running for 127 yards and a TD.

I think that Maryland will have trouble getting over the two brutal losses they suffered in back-to-back weeks without their top receiver suiting up. Look for Minnesota to cover its third game in as many weeks and push Maryland further down in the Big 10 standings.

Stat Salt has Maryland winning the game Saturday
The Maryland Terrapins are the better program at this stage of the season(?????), especially with the Minnesota Golden Gophers having to figure out how to be a good offense without their best runner. Trey Potts has an undisclosed injury and will miss the remainder of the season so that is a brutal blow to their chances here, especially as they try to figure out the schemes without him.

Tagovailoa is not great as a quarterback but he is a lot better and more accurate than Morgan. All in all, go with the Maryland Terrapins to cover the spread on the road.

Stat Salt has Maryland winning the game Saturday
The Maryland Terrapins are the better program at this stage of the season(?????), especially with the Minnesota Golden Gophers having to figure out how to be a good offense without their best runner. Trey Potts has an undisclosed injury and will miss the remainder of the season so that is a brutal blow to their chances here, especially as they try to figure out the schemes without him.

Tagovailoa is not great as a quarterback but he is a lot better and more accurate than Morgan. All in all, go with the Maryland Terrapins to cover the spread on the road.
Huh? I don't know what Stat Salt is but their take makes no sense coming off the Nebraska game where we played well on offense without Potts. Anybody relying on them for gambling advice should probably find a site that actually does a little research before making their recommendations. Case could be made for taking Maryland but not the one they are making.

"Omaha World-Herald has Minnesota winning 24-17
Another big “culture” game for P.J. Fleck, who tooted his own horn after beating Nebraska and drew the ire of a Minneapolis Star-Tribune columnist. Fleck is quick to praise quarterback Tanner Morgan, but he does have a habit of trying too hard. He’s a decent guy and a good coach. He can scale back on the sales routine."

I am sure that StarTrib and Souhan appreciate the extra clicks from this.

Top Bottom