Minnesota Pride

Aggie, sorry to go off topic but some friends and I are heading to Dallas for the TCU game next fall. Any recommendations for places to stay for those of us in our late-20's? We will be there Thur-Sun.

Feel free to post in a new thread so this doesn't get hijacked.

I like how the Gopher portion is sandwiched between the Dylan & Prince portions!

Cool video.

How could they leave out Big Ole? The nerve of some people.

LOL. :clap:

EDIT: They also forgot the worlds largest mallard in Wheaton, MN. :cool:

Don't forget the loon in Vergas.

IMG_5735.JPG

I'm going to have to watch the entire thing when I have time but overall it looks pretty good. It looks like the entire thing was filmed over a short time in the fall, and makes me wonder if it was the same crew that worked on this "Greater MSP" promo video:

some of their facts are a little stretched...

The Smithsonian needed a little more depth. In North Redwood Falls, a railroad agent took a shipment of refused gold pocket watches on consignment. He telegraphed other agents with the offer to sell them. Making $2.00 per watch, he netted over $5,000 within six months. And moved his operation to Minneapolis, and opened R.W. Sears Watch Company. The Catalog went national and necessitated a move to Chicago. With a staff of three he realized the need for someone to do watch repair. Alvah Curtis Roebuck.

About the same time 5 Business Men in Two Harbors who failed in a mining venture, sought funds in exchange for stock. Edgar Ober and Lucius Ordway provided the funds and the idea to make sand paper. They moved the operation to Duluth. Trial and error and innovation and they did it, and so much more.

A little closer to the present in a garage in 1949 a U of M graduate and his brother in law opened an electronic medical repair shop. By 1957 Earl Bakken saw the need for a external battery operated pace maker which he put together in his garage. How can you not salute this man?

The Smithsonian needed a little more depth. In North Redwood Falls, a railroad agent took a shipment of refused gold pocket watches on consignment. He telegraphed other agents with the offer to sell them. Making $2.00 per watch, he netted over $5,000 within six months. And moved his operation to Minneapolis, and opened R.W. Sears Watch Company. The Catalog went national and necessitated a move to Chicago. With a staff of three he realized the need for someone to do watch repair. Alvah Curtis Roebuck.

About the same time 5 Business Men in Two Harbors who failed in a mining venture, sought funds in exchange for stock. Edgar Ober and Lucius Ordway provided the funds and the idea to make sand paper. They moved the operation to Duluth. Trial and error and innovation and they did it, and so much more.

A little closer to the present in a garage in 1949 a U of M graduate and his brother in law opened an electronic medical repair shop. By 1957 Earl Bakken saw the need for a external battery operated pace maker which he put together in his garage. How can you not salute this man?

Ah... The Valley Supper Club!

Aggie, sorry to go off topic but some friends and I are heading to Dallas for the TCU game next fall. Any recommendations for places to stay for those of us in our late-20's? We will be there Thur-Sun.

Feel free to post in a new thread so this doesn't get hijacked.

I'd be glad to help with some suggestions. When I get to a computer I'll type up a more complete reply.

I love Fort Worth, but I don't see enough going on around the TCU campus to keep you occupied for a long weekend. TCU is nearly as the far west edge of the Metroplex. If you're going to have a car, I would suggest staying somewhere more central, or perhaps even in Dallas, and driving in for the game. You'd be looking at a 45 minute pregame drive versus having the same drive every time you wanted to go out to various attractions or nightlife districts. You could also probably strategically plan out getting from Dallas for the game using the Trinity Railway Express and a bus transfer.

There are some things you might want to check out in Fort Worth like the Stockyards, but the bulk of the attractions I would suggest would make a central hotel more attractive.

I'll give some specifics when I get a free moment and a keyboard that doesn't require use of my thumbs.

Love this song

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hbtXiugLgCI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'd be glad to help with some suggestions. When I get to a computer I'll type up a more complete reply.

I love Fort Worth, but I don't see enough going on around the TCU campus to keep you occupied for a long weekend. TCU is nearly as the far west edge of the Metroplex. If you're going to have a car, I would suggest staying somewhere more central, or perhaps even in Dallas, and driving in for the game. You'd be looking at a 45 minute pregame drive versus having the same drive every time you wanted to go out to various attractions or nightlife districts. You could also probably strategically plan out getting from Dallas for the game using the Trinity Railway Express and a bus transfer.

There are some things you might want to check out in Fort Worth like the Stockyards, but the bulk of the attractions I would suggest would make a central hotel more attractive.

I'll give some specifics when I get a free moment and a keyboard that doesn't require use of my thumbs.

Thanks Aggie, feel free to start another thread or DM directly to me so your thread stays on topic!

You forgot the giant walleyes at Garrison and Rush City, Rocky Taconite in Silver Bay, and Otto the Otter in Fergus Falls.

I forgot, Station 19, I should include a pic of the World's Largest mallard in Wheaton, MN. Enjoy. :cool:

Wheaton_duck.jpg

Thanks for the link. I'm a sucker for these promotional videos. I watched the whole thing.

It reminds me of going on vacation with my family. Whether it's visiting Sears Tower, an ancient ruin, Mt. Rushmore, etc., I'm the guy that actually enjoys the introductory videos.

That must be before my time.

Disbanded in the late 60's

Moorhead
Alexandria
Detroit Lakes
Fergus Falls
Breckenridge
Wheaton

And that's pretty much the standings. DL65 might disagree with me though.:rolleyes:

That must be before my time.

Agreed. This had to be well before my time. We have been in the Pheasant Conference for as long as I can remember. Although, I do see station put something up referencing the 1960. Roughly at least 25 years before I was born.

Disbanded in the late 60's

Moorhead
Alexandria
Detroit Lakes
Fergus Falls
Breckenridge
Wheaton

And that's pretty much the standings. DL65 might disagree with me though.:rolleyes:

Are you saying Wheaton was the perennial bottom feeder Station? :cry:

Are you saying Wheaton was the perennial bottom feeder Station? :cry:

Wheaton along with Breckenridge pretty much brought up the rear. Moorhead kept getting bigger and better. Alex and DL were next and weirdo FF was in the middle. Pretty big size difference in school sizes.

Do I take it you are from Wheaton? What is the Wheaton nickname now? Used to to be Warriors I believe, but I would guess not now.

Wheaton along with Breckenridge pretty much brought up the rear. Moorhead kept getting bigger and better. Alex and DL were next and weirdo FF was in the middle. Pretty big size difference in school sizes.

Do I take it you are from Wheaton? What is the Wheaton nickname now? Used to to be Warriors I believe, but I would guess not now.

Born and raised. Still the Warriors. I do remember seeing in some old newspapers where we were playng Moorhead, Alex, FF and stuff in conference play but I guess it never really put it all together, sadly. Haha. I do remember one score I read about, must have been the last time Wheaton played Moorhead in football. I believe we got destroyed like 70-6, or something like that.

EDIT: I still find it so surprising that the afformentioned teams were all in the same conference back in the 60's and earlier. Especially Wheaton, with the sizes of the other towns/cities considered. As far as population, I believe at Wheaton's height of population it maybe closely sniffed 3,000 in the late 60's/early 70's. (I'll have to consult our local historical society on those figures. :cool:) Now, it is around 1500-1700. All the more interesting to be in a conference with those other cities.

Born and raised. Still the Warriors. I do remember seeing in some old newspapers where we were playng Moorhead, Alex, FF and stuff in conference play but I guess it never really put it all together, sadly. Haha. I do remember one score I read about, must have been the last time Wheaton played Moorhead in football. I believe we got destroyed like 70-6, or something like that.

EDIT: I still find it so surprising that the afformentioned teams were all in the same conference back in the 60's and earlier. Especially Wheaton, with the sizes of the other towns/cities considered. As far as population, I believe at Wheaton's height of population it maybe closely sniffed 3,000 in the late 60's/early 70's. (I'll have to consult our local historical society on those figures. :cool:) Now, it is around 1500-1700. All the more interesting to be in a conference with those other cities.

Very true. I believe Breckenridge was about the same size. Thing was, who was Moorhead going to play up there. Couldn't be in a conference with Nodak schools. They refused to play Fargo Shanley......claimed Shanley was recruiting their players. Moorhead had some real powerhouses in the 60's. I believe once DL and Alex had a hard time keeping up with Mhd it was clear the time had come. Can't figure what conference Moorhead is in now.

Wheaton - home of Royce Neilson....Arnie Palmer's former caddy.

Top Bottom