Minnesota offensive coordinator Mike Sanford has been named as a potential candidate for the Boise State head coaching gig.

Maybe Sanford will be gone earlier than we first thought. If I read my SEC notes correctly, Auburn is not letting Malzone coach in the bowl game. As such, the Boise coach will take over immediately. Will he bring Sanford on board for the game.

Whoops my mistake (actually source). No, Boise Head Coach won’t be coaching Auburn in the bowl. Kevin Steele DC is coaching - no Sanford

Mike Sanford had a Covid season under his belt. We wont know how he will do unless he is the OC for 2021 Season. Success is predicated by timing of the move and the players you inherited.

PJ Fleck keep tabs and network with coaches all the time. Is this the new normal - assistant coaches/coordinators getting hired away? Or is it happening to the Gophers because they had an 11-3 season?

Do you really think that Fleck has an ego where he would allow someone to stay in a position if it brought the defense/offensive down?
That's not a thing.

His ego would force his thinking to be (and can't we all hear him saying something like this??) "I know he's a great coordinator. I wouldn't have hired him if that weren't true. He had some challenges this year, we all did. I wouldn't be very good at my job if I fired my coordinator ever time they made a bad call. He will need to change his best, and keep working every day to get better."

That's
fluent Fleckego.

See: Robb Smith

Yeah, it seems like the HC gig at WKU was too much too soon for Sanford. But we’re talking about two years out of his entire career. He’s also the person who coached DeShone Kizer to be pretty damn good at Notre Dame. I suspect Fleck believes that good OCs need to be QB coaches as well, which I disagree with.

That being said, it’s pretty ridiculous to compare Rossi’s situation to Simon’s. Rossi coached the entire defense for multiple games and demonstrated a massive turnaround. That definitely earned him the role. Simon had sole responsibility for one game.
They're not exactly comparable, but I didn't claim that.

I'm suggesting they're more comparable than what you're suggesting.

We can't know for sure, and it doesn't matter, because Sanford will be the OC next season barring a miracle, and I don't feel like rooting for next year to be a failure just to spite Fleck's nepotism and ego.

Rossi didn't just have those games with the Gophers. He was DC at Rutgers for 2 years. Bad comparison for Simon's situation.
Kinda tough to be an OC when no one will offer you that position as a WR coach, isn't it?

See: PJ Fleck, Urban Meyer.

If it were just one season then I might be more inclined to agree with you:

Tanner Morgan (Minnesota)
2019 (pre-Sanford): 178.7 RTG; 30:7 TD:INT
2020 (Sanford): 128.1 RTG; 7:5 TD:INT

Jordan Love (Utah State)
2018 (pre-Sanford): 158.3 RTG; 32:6 TD: INT
2019 (Sanford): 129.1 RTG; 20:17 TD:INT

Mike White (WKU)
2016 (pre-Sanford): 181.4 RTG; 37:7 TD:INT
2017 (Sanford): 140.8 RTG: 26:8 TD:INT
- Graduated -

2018 WKU Team QB Stats (they used 3 starters):
118.8 RTG; 15:10 TD:INT

He did okay with Kizer at Notre Dame (2014 - 2015) and has put together an awful track record since. I didn't understand this hire, and I think the results spoke for themselves.
This is great information, but I’d also like to see the teams defensive stats and what were the players stats the season prior to their good season. Most players take a step back after a great season especially with a new coordinator. Lots of variables.

Kellen Moore turned down Boise St to stay with the Cowboys.

They were looking for someone to stay but that job is maxed out and is now a stepping stone.

It's always been a stepping stone job. Peterson stayed longer than most people would have but they've lost their last 5 to major conference promotions.

You have no clue how message boards work. Dumbass
Sorry I'm confused. Are you suggesting that we present false information on purpose on this board? No offense, but I need you to clarify this for me.

Top Bottom