Minnesota-Nebraska bumped to ESPN

What is different is that Nebraska is 5-1 and we are 5-2 (even though our two losses are Big Ten losses). Anyway, on paper 5-1 vs. 5-2 looks like a good match up. The fact that we beat NU propelled the Nebraska game into ESPN. Had we lost to the Wildcats, we would have been relegated to BTN.

I will catch hell for it, but I think Beth Mowins is cute. I confess I enjoy watching her when they pan to the announcers.

Not true. It was decided that the game would be on ESPN/ESPN 2 several weeks ago. The announcement is just saying that it will be on ESPN and not ESPN2.

What is different is that Nebraska is 5-1 and we are 5-2 (even though our two losses are Big Ten losses). Anyway, on paper 5-1 vs. 5-2 looks like a good match up. The fact that we beat NU propelled the Nebraska game into ESPN. Had we lost to the Wildcats, we would have been relegated to BTN.

I will catch hell for it, but I think Beth Mowins is cute. I confess I enjoy watching her when they pan to the announcers.

Nov 6 makes a good point about the game. ESPN could have swapped the games if they had wanted to. #24 Nebraska versus 5-2 Minnesota makes way more sense than Northwestern, the team they beat, versus Iowa a team coming off back to back losses. That goes to the BTN.

#20 Louisville at South Florida gets the ESPN2 slot.

If you guys are right about the original choice, no reason to doubt you, it was a good "guess" by ESPN! :cool:

Nov 6 makes a good point about the game. ESPN could have swapped the games if they had wanted to. #24 Nebraska versus 5-2 Minnesota makes way more sense than Northwestern, the team they beat, versus Iowa a team coming off back to back losses. That goes to the BTN.

#20 Louisville at South Florida gets the ESPN2 slot.

Like I said, that is irrelevant because which network the game was going to be on was already decided well before this past weekend's game.

I live in Phoenix and don't pay extra for BTN on Dish. Just had to ask for it and for FSN (I received all the regional networks along with it) and there it was. Not a dime more than I was paying before.

FYI I'm able to watch Gopher hockey (which is just fabulous) and have seen or been able to DVR every football game. Even though we went to Las Cruces, I was able to get the game on Fox Sports Arizona.

I also live in the Phoenix area. I do though have to pay extra to get the big ten network on Directv. I'm okay doing that though, it's not that much more a month.

Being on college campuses the past five years, I can say that ESPN is on on just about every lobby TV except for in girls' dorms. It's a big deal to not be on BTN or even ESPN2.

We would have been on ESPN 2, not BTN. But I agree. The win against NU makes this a much more interesting matchup. Had we laid another egg......this game would have appeared to be a blowout in the making, setting us at ESPN 2 most likely. This could very well be a program changing game. That along with the shiny new stadium, the publicity surrounding Kill, and one of the powerhouse teams of the past twenty years.....I can understand why they would toss us on ESPN despite a couple of crumby looking games on ABC and ESPN 2 this year.

Being on college campuses the past five years, I can say that ESPN is on on just about every lobby TV except for in girls' dorms. It's a big deal to not be on BTN or even ESPN2.

Agreed. The ESPN matchup is a big deal. If we can pull out a win......it would be a huge boost for the team and the program as a whole.

With the Cornhuskers coming to town this Saturday, I see this as the opposite of hate week. The Nebraska fans are tremendous to visiting fans and I hope we can reciprocate their hospitality. I really think we have a chance to develop a great “friendly” rivalry with them.

If you are questioning why you should be nice to the Huskers well consider this, they despise the hogeyes and skunks as much as we do. This alone is a good enough reason to befriend them. We will always have the skunks and hogeyes to justifiably heap trash on so save your venom for those despicable creatures.

Let’s have fun with our Cornhuskers friends and treat them to a good time the same way they do when we come to Lincoln. If you’re tailgating, offer those red clad fans a beer and perhaps a bite to eat. While you’re at the game, thank them for coming and let them know you appreciate their traveling all the way to our great campus and stadium.

And yes, let’s beat the Huskers while they here but as Ron Burgundy would say, you stay classy, Minnesota.

Ski-U-Mah and Go Gophers!

With the Cornhuskers coming to town this Saturday, I see this as the opposite of hate week. The Nebraska fans are tremendous to visiting fans and I hope we can reciprocate their hospitality. I really think we have a chance to develop a great “friendly” rivalry with them.

If you are questioning why you should be nice to the Huskers well consider this, they despise the hogeyes and skunks as much as we do. This alone is a good enough reason to befriend them. We will always have the skunks and hogeyes to justifiably heap trash on so save your venom for those despicable creatures.

Let’s have fun with our Cornhuskers friends and treat them to a good time the same way they do when we come to Lincoln. If you’re tailgating, offer those red clad fans a beer and perhaps a bite to eat. While you’re at the game, thank them for coming and let them know you appreciate their traveling all the way to our great campus and stadium.

And yes, let’s beat the Huskers while they here but as Ron Burgundy would say, you stay classy, Minnesota.

Ski-U-Mah and Go Gophers!

Nope, not possible.

No, the listing they had was this ESPN/2 that meant, it was either going to be on ESPN or ESPN2. If it was going to be listed on ESPN2, they would have listed it as ESPN2 and not with the / inbetween.
I don't think that's how it was listed, but whatever it doesn't matter.

I live in St. Cloud and I have to pay extra for BTN. Comparing BTN and ESPN is a laugh. ESPN is offered on almost every basic package whereas BTN is offered as an extra. They are in no way comparable or equal when considering which games are "nationally televised". I certainly don't find Pac-12 channel or Longhorn network games to be "nationally televised".

I also live in the Phoenix area. I do though have to pay extra to get the big ten network on Directv. I'm okay doing that though, it's not that much more a month.

I guess they just like me better.:rolleyes: I already had the 250 package on Dish, so maybe that's why they gave it to me for free.

I guess my whole point here is "does the average fan give a crap which channel a game is on--if they can find it and watch it--and does it matter if it is designated as a "national game"?"

My guess is no. It's forum fodder, though. No criticism here, but I think about 90% of fans don't care on what channel a game is played.

I guess they just like me better.:rolleyes: I already had the 250 package on Dish, so maybe that's why they gave it to me for free.

I guess my whole point here is "does the average fan give a crap which channel a game is on--if they can find it and watch it--and does it matter if it is designated as a "national game"?"

My guess is no. It's forum fodder, though. No criticism here, but I think about 90% of fans don't care on what channel a game is played.

I don't think the argument here is that it matters to Gopher or Husker fans what channel the game is on but it matters when it pertains to the casual college football fan who is looking for a game to watch. I know when the gophers (or Aggies) aren't playing I usually check ABC and ESPN for another game to watch. More eyeballs=more exposure, which is a good thing.

If you are watching the game at home I would say it does matter because you don't want the Beth and Joey show announcing for your game. Although, some of Mike Patricks mistakes vs. MI were annoying as well.

Even AggieVision is awesome if they're featuring the Gophers.

I can't believe Nov 1999 hasn't received any crap for thinking mowins is cute!!
What the hell 1999?

Talking the "cable" channels yes. If you're talking the networks you're way off. There's still some cachet in a network broadcast. Usually because the public (and the networks) thinks those are the "important" games.

Talking the "cable" channels yes. If you're talking the networks you're way off. There's still some cachet in a network broadcast. Usually because the public (and the networks) thinks those are the "important" games.
ESPN blows, but they are "it" in sports broadcasting. Fox Sports One has had some good games this year, but half the time, I forget that the network even exists. I'd assume when looking for a game to watch, the casual fan flips to ESPN first and works around the dial from there.

ESPN blows, but they are "it" in sports broadcasting. Fox Sports One has had some good games this year, but half the time, I forget that the network even exists. I'd assume when looking for a game to watch, the casual fan flips to ESPN first and works around the dial from there.

Respectively disagree when it comes to football, both Pro and College. There the numbers show that viewers still go network first than ESPN. In the Pros, ABC/ESPN is finding out what a difference moving Monday Night Football from the ABC to ESPN has made. The ratings have taken a big hit, while at the same time NBC's Sunday Night Football is a ratings star. ABC owns both ABC/ESPN of them. If the combined ratings are up maybe it's a win for them, but it's doubtful they thought the ratings for ESPN's version would be what they are.

College Football? NBC has Notre Damn, CBS has their premier SEC games on CBS, both at 3:30 and sometimes at night. ABC/ESPN? Their showcase afternoon and evening games are on ABC. The night Home Regionals rotate to ABC while ESPN2 gets the "off" game.

Fox Sports One? You're far from alone in wondering if they even exist. :cool:

Great post and discussion. Being upgraded from ESPN2 to ESPN is a big deal in terms of exposure. It may not make much difference to those who have access to all the channels, but clearly it's better exposure for the team. The best is definitely to be on big 3 network TV (NBC, CBS, ABC). That's probably because many people still do not have access to cable or satellite. Next best is ESPN, then ESPN2. Fox is in there somewhere. The higher profile the game, the more likely it is to be on a more prominent channel. That the game was ultimately put on ESPN does mean the game is judged to be more interesting. Just moving to ESPN over ESPN2 means the amount of coverage before and after the game is better, viewership is higher, and the announcers are better. There was a big article in the New York Times about how ESPN is controlling game times and making last minute adjustments to game times and channels. The article points out how certain teams have benefitted by playing on Thursday night.
From TVbytheNumbers, for 2013 (doesn't include numbers for CBS and NBC which are higher than for ABC:
ABC is averaging 4,658,000 viewers and a 2.9 HH US rating for increases of 7 percent (vs. 4,348,000) and 4 percent (vs. 2.8).
ESPN is averaging 2,941,000 viewers and a 1.9 HH US rating, increases of 12 percent (vs. 2,617,000) and 12 percent (vs. 1.7).
ESPN2 is averaging 1,222,000 viewers and a 0.8 HH US rating, marking an increase of 1 percent (vs. 1,214,000) and even.
ESPNU is averaging 477,000 viewers and a 0.3 HH US rating for an increase of 3 percent in viewers (vs. 463,000) and even.

Respectively disagree when it comes to football, both Pro and College. There the numbers show that viewers still go network first than ESPN. In the Pros, ABC/ESPN is finding out what a difference moving Monday Night Football from the ABC to ESPN has made. The ratings have taken a big hit, while at the same time NBC's Sunday Night Football is a ratings star. ABC owns both ABC/ESPN of them. If the combined ratings are up maybe it's a win for them, but it's doubtful they thought the ratings for ESPN's version would be what they are.

College Football? NBC has Notre Damn, CBS has their premier SEC games on CBS, both at 3:30 and sometimes at night. ABC/ESPN? Their showcase afternoon and evening games are on ABC. The night Home Regionals rotate to ABC while ESPN2 gets the "off" game.

Fox Sports One? You're far from alone in wondering if they even exist. :cool:
I wasn't really clear. I was kind of basing my assumption that someone looking for a game on Sat. Morning flips to Gameday before the 11 o'clock games and then starts watching the ESPN game before flipping around.

Gee is this great!

I can't believe Nov 1999 hasn't received any crap for thinking mowins is cute!!
What the hell 1999?

spackler,

1. This old salt is guilty as charged, "I think Beth Mowins is cute!"

2. After the victory over Nebraska yesterday, I am reminded of Kent "Flounder" Dorfman's quote from Animal House, "Gee is this great!" (or something like that)

Top Bottom