Minnesota-Nebraska bumped to ESPN

Gopherprof

Reaction score
The game had previously been scheduled for ESPN2.

Say what you will about this season, but at least the Gophers have been on national TV a lot. After spending the entire season on ESPN2 (2), ESPNU (1), or BTN (8) last year, the 2013 Gophers have already had two games on ABC, two games on ESPN2, and now this one on ESPN.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/228535241.html

Say what you will about this season, but at least the Gophers have been on national TV a lot. After spending the entire season on ESPN2 (2), ESPNU (1), or BTN (8) last year, the 2013 Gophers have already had two games on ABC, two games on ESPN2, and now this one on ESPN.

The best part? Less chance of being subjected to the dynamic Beth Mowins-Joey Galloway duo.

This is great for exposure and recruiting. I think TCF is a big reason for it, it is a great looking stadium on TV.

This is great for exposure and recruiting. I think TCF is a big reason for it, it is a great looking stadium on TV.

No Nebraska and their national following is the reason for it, the same reason they were invited to join the Big Ten. If they were choosing games based on stadiums, they would choose a much more impressive stadium than TCF.

All this national exposure and Aggievision in one season? Pinch me!

No Nebraska and their national following is the reason for it, the same reason they were invited to join the Big Ten. If they were choosing games based on stadiums, they would choose a much more impressive stadium than TCF.

National following? No one outside the Midwest cares about Nebraska. Their fans are some of the most delusional fans out there. They are a nice respectful group though.

The beat part? Less chance of being subjected to the dynamic Beth Mowins-Joey Galloway duo.

Just out of curiosity - how did you change your user name?

National following? No one outside the Midwest cares about Nebraska. Their fans are some of the most delusional fans out there. They are a nice respectful group though.

Considering they have local radio stations in markets like Seattle, Las Vegas, etc. that their alumni groups pay to broadcast all of their games, they definitely have a national following.

True, but we played Nebraska and Michigan last year and both of those games were on BTN. I'm not sure what the difference is this year, but I'm not complaining.

You don't think that a win over NW yesterday had anything to do with the game promotion? And yes, TCF is a very nice looking stadium.

All this national exposure and Aggievision in one season? Pinch me!

I was looking at some of the Dishnetwork Sports overflow networks and came across the NMSU - Rice game (12-28 Rice at that time) from Las Cruces on channel 440. I did not see any reference to Aggievision but the Casa de Autos logo was on the score graphic, so it must have been Aggievison.

Had I stuck with the broadcast for a any misdirection plays, I would have known for sure if it was actaully Aggievison.

You don't think that a win over NW yesterday had anything to do with the game promotion? And yes, TCF is a very nice looking stadium.
I'm sure it helped, but I believe the primary reason was because Houston (the original ESPN game) was undefeated when they originally made the decision. Once Houston lost to BYU, a Houston-Rutgers matchup didn't seem all that appealing anymore.

Just curious. What do we consider to be "national TV" now? I consider ESPN to be national TV, and for the most part so is BTN. Since 91% of all households have subscription TV, I don't think being on what used to be "broadcast" TV to be any better than the above. It's all on the box. Almost every game is available. Just me I guess.

Just curious. What do we consider to be "national TV" now? I consider ESPN to be national TV, and for the most part so is BTN. Since 91% of all households have subscription TV, I don't think being on what used to be "broadcast" TV to be any better than the above. It's all on the box. Almost every game is available. Just me I guess.

I consider ESPN to be national TV, but not the Big Ten network. Every basic cable package has ESPN and ESPN 2. You have to pay extra for big ten network in most markets outside of big ten country.

However the added benefit for ABC is that is where the average college football fan looking for a game to watch will go to because he knows there is a good chance he'll find a good game.

Not true, unfortunately. Lots of fans everywhere. But they are certainly one of the most delipusiinal fan bases outside of SEC country. Holy crap. Try living in Lincoln the couple days after a good Husker ass whipping. It's arguably the most entertained I've ever been in my life.

My favorite was when Jake Plummer and ASU thumped them early in the NC schedule after their last national title. Good lord that was hilarious.

They have a lot of fans tho, no question. Not like the 80's and 90's, but they're all over. TCF will be very very red Saturday I'm guessing. What the fk else are you going to do this time of year in corn country?

BTN gets absolutely paltry ratings compared to ESPN, and is not carried by nearly the # of carriers nationwide as the ESPN brand. I know that BTN can technically market themselves as a national network, and I love BTN, but the exposure is small potatoes as compared to being on the mothership.

About the only thing you can root for in Nebraska is for the corn to grow higher and for Nebraska to win....they have a very loyal following and with plenty of reasons to leave Nebraska...they are found throughout the country

Thank the double bye week for the better tv coverage. Only four games this week.

Six games the week after and we will take our customary position on BTN.

I consider ESPN to be national TV, but not the Big Ten network. Every basic cable package has ESPN and ESPN 2. You have to pay extra for big ten network in most markets outside of big ten country.

However the added benefit for ABC is that is where the average college football fan looking for a game to watch will go to because he knows there is a good chance he'll find a good game.

BTN gets absolutely paltry ratings compared to ESPN, and is not carried by nearly the # of carriers nationwide as the ESPN brand. I know that BTN can technically market themselves as a national network, and I love BTN, but the exposure is small potatoes as compared to being on the mothership.

I live in Phoenix and don't pay extra for BTN on Dish. Just had to ask for it and for FSN (I received all the regional networks along with it) and there it was. Not a dime more than I was paying before.

FYI I'm able to watch Gopher hockey (which is just fabulous) and have seen or been able to DVR every football game. Even though we went to Las Cruces, I was able to get the game on Fox Sports Arizona.

Not sure why you were responding to my post, as nothing you said refuted it. Satelite usually carries a lot more sports networks like BTN, that doesn't mean that your local Comcast or Time Warner in Las Cruces is going to be carrying ESPN on their basic package.

And, even if they do, a ton more people are going to be tuned into ESPN simply because it's ESPN. Look at the bowl #s. Even the bad games on ESPN dwarfed the good ones on ESPN2, and ESPN2 is much bigger than BTN.

I live in Phoenix and don't pay extra for BTN on Dish. Just had to ask for it and for FSN (I received all the regional networks along with it) and there it was. Not a dime more than I was paying before.

FYI I'm able to watch Gopher hockey (which is just fabulous) and have seen or been able to DVR every football game. Even though we went to Las Cruces, I was able to get the game on Fox Sports Arizona.

I live in St. Cloud and I have to pay extra for BTN. Comparing BTN and ESPN is a laugh. ESPN is offered on almost every basic package whereas BTN is offered as an extra. They are in no way comparable or equal when considering which games are "nationally televised". I certainly don't find Pac-12 channel or Longhorn network games to be "nationally televised".

That not true, it was either going to be on ESPN or ESPN2. it was never schedule to be on ESPN2 to start with. Then when they announce the gametime, they said either ESPN or ESPN2.

That not true, it was either going to be on ESPN or ESPN2. it was never schedule to be on ESPN2 to start with. Then when they announce the gametime, they said either ESPN or ESPN2.
Gophersports.com listed it as ESPN2. Pretty sure it was announced as well, but I may be wrong.

Gophersports.com listed it as ESPN2. Pretty sure it was announced as well, but I may be wrong.

No, the listing they had was this ESPN/2 that meant, it was either going to be on ESPN or ESPN2. If it was going to be listed on ESPN2, they would have listed it as ESPN2 and not with the / inbetween.

The best part? Less chance of being subjected to the dynamic Beth Mowins-Joey Galloway duo.
Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere, but check out Galloway's Twitter. People were Tweeting and criticizing him and Mowins for saying the wrong team name and that little spaz kept telling people to turn the volume off.

True, but we played Nebraska and Michigan last year and both of those games were on BTN. I'm not sure what the difference is this year, but I'm not complaining.

What is different is that Nebraska is 5-1 and we are 5-2 (even though our two losses are Big Ten losses). Anyway, on paper 5-1 vs. 5-2 looks like a good match up. The fact that we beat NU propelled the Nebraska game into ESPN. Had we lost to the Wildcats, we would have been relegated to BTN.

I will catch hell for it, but I think Beth Mowins is cute. I confess I enjoy watching her when they pan to the announcers.

Top Bottom