Minnesota Kicks Off Against Michigan on ABC at 6:30pm

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Minnesota Kicks Off Against Michigan on ABC

The Big Ten Conference announced today that Minnesota will start its 2020 season at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 24 against Michigan. The Gophers and Wolverines will square off nationally on ABC. The winner will claim the Little Brown Jug, which is one of the most iconic trophies in college football.

Dating back to last season, Minnesota will have played five of its six most recent games on network television. The exception being Minnesota’s Outback Bowl win against Auburn, which was broadcast on ESPN.

The Conference also announced that Minnesota will play three Friday games – one on the road and two at home – this year. Minnesota’s first road game of the season will now take place on Friday, Oct. 30 at Maryland. Minnesota will also host Iowa on Friday, Nov. 13 and Purdue on Friday, Nov. 20.

Minnesota is 6-0 under head coach P.J. Fleck in non-Saturday games. It is 1-0 on Friday (beat Indiana 38-31 at home in 2018), 2-0 on Wednesday (bowl wins against Auburn and Georgia Tech) and 3-0 on Thursday (season-opening home wins against Buffalo, New Mexico State and South Dakota State).

The Gophers are also 8-3 in night games under Fleck and have won their last six night games.

Minnesota is ranked No. 24 in the AP Poll, while Michigan is ranked No. 19. If both teams are ranked on Oct. 24, it will mark Minnesota’s fifth ranked opponent in its last six games. Minnesota ended last season with games against Penn State, Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin and Auburn. Every team was ranked in the AP Poll except Northwestern.

The Oct. 24 game will also be the first time that an AP Poll ranked-Minnesota team will open the season against another ranked opponent. The AP poll started in 1936.

Looks to be a great one under Friday Night lights!! 🙌
B9E59EF8-04A0-4C5D-B35F-DBA7FAFD2034.jpeg

I did not get to the Wisconsin game right before the Band march around to the stadium, but later watched what I could find of Gameday online, and it was not much.

I saw the sunrise "pre-gameday' show with Maria Taylor and the former punter, and it was magical. The snow frosted trees, the classic mall, a giant crowd with the Mall, Nothrop, and the Student Union in view was incredible. I think ESPN remembers all this and will return.

Last edited:

Has any school ever hosted Gameday for consecutive home games?

This could be like the answer to the last school to win 3 straight national titles.

Corso has been remote. The other crew is socially distanced on set. They may be using a green screen, but it appears they are on campus.

Are they doing Game Day remotely or actually coming in? How does that even work with Covid?

They go on campus, with a reduced team, and don't allow crowds. From what I have watched, it still has the general flavor and feel of Game Day.

I would hope that being on ABC prime time would all but guarantee Gameday. And, I would also hope that this would mean we'd get the "A TEAM" announcing crew of Fowler and Herby. I really like watching games when they are announcing. It gives the same vibe as the days when Brett Musberger was in the booth... dramatic, big games, with big plays - on a national stage. Yes please.

If they come the U should allow fans to submit homemade signs and cut outs to put behind the announcers. Could be a fun way to keep the flavor.

Too early they only have lines to Oct 17 right now
Massey has us as -2.5 with a prediction of 27 to 24
i'd be very surprised if the line isn't about even. may start on us, but would expect money on michigan by name

Book it: 'Phars are going to put up 41 on Michigan. Should be enough.

Top Bottom