Minnesota/Illinois Men's Basketball Game Postponed to Jan. 4 at 6 p.m.

This is ridiculous! I cannot believe the NCAA is doing this!!! I know it's a touchy subject but I am tired of staying silent about all of this! I am tired of people behaving like scared sheep!!!!!!!

The fact that these teams are purposely getting themselves infected and or are staging fake positive tests just to avoid playing the absolute UNIT that is our basketball program is disgusting!

I know every team in the NCAA has nightmares about playing against Johnson's Golden Soul Killers but rules are rules man. If you didn't want to ever get beat you should not have become a college ballplayer or coach!

Someone needs to step in and stop these teams from hiding from us. I bit my tongue when we threw the one game to help build other teams' confidence but I am sick and tired of living like this! It is unacceptable we are being punished for being astronomically better than any other college basketball team in history!
The heathen bastards are repelled by the brilliant angelic light!

This is ridiculous! I cannot believe the NCAA is doing this!!! I know it's a touchy subject but I am tired of staying silent about all of this! I am tired of people behaving like scared sheep!!!!!!!

The fact that these teams are purposely getting themselves infected and or are staging fake positive tests just to avoid playing the absolute UNIT that is our basketball program is disgusting!

I know every team in the NCAA has nightmares about playing against Johnson's Golden Soul Killers but rules are rules man. If you didn't want to ever get beat you should not have become a college ballplayer or coach!

Someone needs to step in and stop these teams from hiding from us. I bit my tongue when we threw the one game to help build other teams' confidence but I am sick and tired of living like this! It is unacceptable we are being punished for being astronomically better than any other college basketball team in history!
Johnson beautifully suckered the rest of the B1G by throwing that game against MSU. The first to fall were the Wolverines, who went running to mama after we dunked them out of their building. Illinois goes down on Tues. We cut down the net on the first Monday in April!

Excellent effort for your final paper in your creative writing class A+ (Golden Soul Killers has me grinning from 👂 2 👂).
Bravo 🎉 my favorite post of 2021!

If this was to allow a player to come back from a sprained ankle, I can't believe you have the same take. The games are scheduled when they are scheduled and the chips fall where they may beyond that. Are you denying this gives Illinois an advantage? I'm not saying it's an advantage the Gophers can't overcome, just saying it's an advantage nonetheless.

If it's the difference between the game being played or not, having it being played 2 days later is the best outcome. Obviously the game being pushed back means more Illinois guys will be available. But it's better than the game not being played.

I don't think the MN program gets away with the BS Illinois gave the Big Ten to get the game moved, not a chance in hell.

I don't think the MN program gets away with the BS Illinois gave the Big Ten to get the game moved, not a chance in hell.
I mean not really comparable because it is a difference sport but the gophers literally got the big ten to toss out their football crossover scheduling idea last year so that the gophers could still play wisconsin

Call me crazy, but with both teams being idle for nearly two weeks leading up to this game, I like our chances for two reasons:

1. @ the barn
2. Our veteran roster
the Gopher's roster is young compared to Illinois'. Don't think experience will matter tomorrow.

If this was to allow a player to come back from a sprained ankle, I can't believe you have the same take. The games are scheduled when they are scheduled and the chips fall where they may beyond that. Are you denying this gives Illinois an advantage? I'm not saying it's an advantage the Gophers can't overcome, just saying it's an advantage non

4 of 5 starters for the Gophers are super seniors. Are we really young compared to them?
age-wise, it's about the same. Illinois also starts 4 super seniors + Kofi. All of Minnesota's super seniors came from low to mid-- level programs and didn't play too many meaningful games in Feb/March. Just pointing out that Illinois is one of few teams with more "experience" than Minnesota.

If this was to allow a player to come back from a sprained ankle, I can't believe you have the same take. The games are scheduled when they are scheduled and the chips fall where they may beyond that. Are you denying this gives Illinois an advantage? I'm not saying it's an advantage the Gophers can't overcome, just saying it's an advantage non

4 of 5 starters for the Gophers are super seniors. Are we really young compared to them?
age-wise, it's about the same. Illinois also starts 4 super seniors + Kofi. All of Minnesota's super seniors came from low to mid-- level programs and didn't play too many meaningful games in Feb/March. Just pointing out that Illinois is one of few teams with more "experience" than Minnesota.
Per U of MN press release ->

MINNEAPOLIS - The University of Minnesota/Illinois men’s basketball game originally scheduled for Sunday, Jan. 2 at 5 p.m., has now been postponed to Jan. 4 at 6 p.m., at Williams Arena. The game will be televised on FS1. The postponement is due to COVID-19 health and safety protocols within the Illinois program.

This follows the current Big Ten guidelines due to COVID-19 policies and procedures announced earlier this week: If a team or teams is/are unable to participate in a scheduled Conference competition due to COVID-19, and as a result the competition is unable to occur on the calendar day on which it is scheduled, the competition will not automatically be considered a forfeiture. Upon review and approval by the Conference office, in consultation with the participating institutions and the Big Ten Chief Medical Officer, Dr. James Borchers, the competition may be rescheduled, or declared a no contest or a forfeiture. The Conference office will be responsible for rescheduling any conference competition postponed due to COVID-19.

The number of competitors available – i.e. seven scholarship student-athletes for women’s and men’s basketball – and the availability of at least one countable coach factor into the decision-making process. A team that is below the number may still decide to compete if deemed safe by appropriate medical personnel (i.e. the decision to postpone a competition will not be automatic even if a team is below the number).

Minnesota last played at home, Dec. 22 against Green Bay. The Gophers' Dec. 29 game was canceled due to COVID-19 health and safety protocols within the Alcorn State program. The Illini's last contest was also Dec. 22 against Missouri. Illinois was scheduled to play Dec. 29, but were forced to cancel due to COVID-19 protocols within their own program. Illinois has indicated it does not meet the seven scholarship student-athletes cleared for Sunday's competition.

Tickets for the initial game date will be accepted for Tuesday's matchup. Ticket holders that are unable to attend the rescheduled game can exchange their tickets for any other 2021-22 regular season men's basketball game in zone 3 or 4 at Williams Arena. All exchanges are subject to availability. Individuals must notify the Gopher Athletics Ticket Office via email at [email protected] by 12pm CST on Tuesday, January 4 if they would like to exchange their tickets for a different game.

I am glad they are still playing obviously, but if this allows Illinois to get players back on the floor they would not have otherwise had available for Sunday, this postponement is a clear advantage to Illinois.

Does your opinion change now that you know Illinois could not have played Sunday?

just noting that Illinois requires testing when you return to campus. A campus thing and not specific to the BBall team:
"Before you arrive to campus — Students, faculty and staff are required to have completed an on-campus COVID-19 test"

read an article that suggests some Illini players might have to wear masks during the game. a covid protocol thing.

Thorson just tweeted "Traditional unveiling tonight" What the heck is going on? I mean my dream scenario would be them putting the final 4 banner up and telling the NCAA to pizz off, but I doubt that will happen. Would be cool to have Bobby J/Clem type back at the barn if anything. Or is it something totally else?

If anything they are doing a good job of keeping me in suspense ha.

Thorson just tweeted "Traditional unveiling tonight" What the heck is going on? I mean my dream scenario would be them putting the final 4 banner up and telling the NCAA to pizz off, but I doubt that will happen. Would be cool to have Bobby J/Clem type back at the barn if anything. Or is it something totally else?

If anything they are doing a good job of keeping me in suspense ha.
I don't think Coyle has enough hair on his ass to let that happen

Huh. That is interesting. I saw high school kids “wear” them last year but mostly around their chins.
Yep, same. This was the first time I've seen a player wear it correctly over his nose during a game. Curious to see if Illinois players are doing that. 10 were positive so it could be many of them.

Top Bottom