Minnesota Hoops and Hockey to be Featured in 2018 Super Saturday Doubleheader at MSG

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

Minnesota to be Featured in 2018 Super Saturday Doubleheader at MSG

The Minnesota Golden Gophers men’s basketball and men’s hockey teams will be headed to the Big Apple together in 2018, as the Big Ten Conference announced Wednesday its future pairings for the “Super Saturday – College Hoops and Hockey” doubleheader series. Both games will compete at legendary Madison Square Garden on Saturday, January 20, 2018. The men’s basketball team will tip off against Ohio State, while the men’s hockey team will face Michigan State. “We are excited for the opportunity to be a part of the Super Saturday doubleheader in 2018,” Minnesota head men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino said. “With the Big Ten Tournament scheduled to be played at Madison Square Garden later that year, it will give our team valuable experience on the court there. Our guys will be excited to play at one of basketball’s greatest venues. We look forward to facing Ohio State in what will be a fantastic event.” “The Super Saturday doubleheader will be an exciting event for our program and our fans, and we’re certainly looking forward to playing in the World’s Most Famous Arena,” Minnesota head men’s hockey coach Don Lucia said. “Madison Square Garden is an iconic venue for a hockey game, and we want our players and fans to enjoy memorable experiences like this one as often as possible.” For the men’s basketball team, the Super Saturday game will represent the third trip to Madison Square Garden under head coach Richard Pitino. In 2014, the top-seeded Gophers captured the National Invitation Tournament championship after defeating SMU. The following November, the team finished third in the NIT Season Tip-Off after a victory over Georgia in the consolation game. In total, this is the eighth visit to MSG by the Gopher men’s basketball team, with an all-time record of 8-6 there. The team will return to Madison Square Garden later in the winter of 2018, as the arena will play host to the Big Ten Tournament from Wednesday, February 28 through Sunday, March 4. Meanwhile, the men’s hockey team will be making its first appearance at the current Madison Square Garden. Previously, the Gophers played two games at Madison Square Garden III for the ECAC Holiday Festival during the 1966-67 season. Minnesota went 1-1-0 at the tournament, losing to 5-8 to Boston University on Dec. 20, 1966 and then beating St. Lawrence 11-3 on Dec. 21, 1966. Other pairings for upcoming Super Saturday doubleheaders were also announced, including 2017 (Wisconsin vs. Rutgers men’s basketball, Wisconsin vs. Ohio State men’s hockey) and 2019 (Illinois vs. Maryland men’s basketball, TBD men’s hockey).

Go Gophers!!

Please tell me we aren't giving up Ohio State game at the Barn to make this little charade happen?

I really hate what college hoops is becoming. Bad enough that we moved the BTT to NYC in the first place.

Please tell me we aren't giving up Ohio State game at the Barn to make this little charade happen?

I really hate what college hoops is becoming. Bad enough that we moved the BTT to NYC in the first place.

Amen, my first thought as well. This better be Ohio State's "home" game, not ours. If we're stupid enough to give up a home basketball game for this, we get what we deserve.

That said, I suspect it'll be OSU's home game. They're probably willing to give up a home game vs. a program of Minnesota's ilk.

Neutral sites like this for conference games is so stupid unless it is played in close proximity like some football games (Florida-Georgia, Texas-Oklahoma, etc.). Also, would think it would make sense to have the same schools for both matchups.

I think this game just replaces the OSU game that was originally scheduled to be placed on a floating oil rig in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico.

Bend over season-ticket holders, here's another one for ya'

On second thought, I bet this will be one of our "home" games, being that we have two teams represented in the event. Good grief, if this takes away a game from Williams Arena, has the athletic department no shame?

Bend over season-ticket holders:

"Thank you ma'am may I have another? Thank you ma'am may I have another?"

We just confirmed with the U:

For the men's basketball game, Minnesota is the designated home team.

For the men's hockey game, Minnesota is the designated away team.

Thanks.

Speechless. More sheer brilliant decision making. But that's OK, I'm sure the athletic/basketball offices will make up for that missing conference home game with a quality non-conference opponent (nudge-nudge, wink-wink)!!

The bigger question is, will either of the two coaches, so gung-ho about taking part in this event, be around in two years?

I am personally very excited about this and will be making the trip out there. And for those complaining about the U giving up a game, this is all on the B1G. Don't blame the U

Thanks. More sheer brilliant decision making. The question is, will either of the two coaches so gung-ho about taking part in it be around in two years?

You do realize this is the B1G and not the coaches, right? Of course the coaches are going to sound excited in the press conference. Do you expect them to act pissed? And this is a great experience for the players as well!!

Isn't this happening every year with B1G teams?

You do realize this is the B1G and not the coaches, right? Of course the coaches are going to sound excited in the press conference. Do you expect them to act pissed? And this is a great experience for the players as well!!

Isn't this happening every year with B1G teams?

I don't care whose idea it is. All that matters to me (as a season-ticket holder) is it's a conference home game being played in New York City. Playing the B1G Tournament in NYC is one thing, playing a regular-season conference "home" game in NYC is another.

The players will get to experience MSG later that season, they don't need to play there twice.

But yes, I understand the coaches have to put forth a positive spin!

The Athletic Department better be on the horn to make sure that both the Gavitt Games and B1G/ACC challenge games are at home that season. Plus maybe another Power 5 school visiting (ISU or Mizzou anyone?).

The Athletic Department better be on the horn to make sure that both the Gavitt Games and B1G/ACC challenge games are at home that season. Plus maybe another Power 5 school visiting (ISU or Mizzou anyone?).

Good luck with that. (not directed at you) I'm sure they're already on it!

It'll be interesting to see how the non con schedules shake out. Were not playing in any tropical tournaments off the mainland, so I would imagine a couple of home and homes would be scheduled just to keep up the strength of schedule we've played in the past. Next year I believe we have to be in the Gavett games, I think there's participation rules for it, don't know about the following year when will give up a home game at MSG. I just want someone halfway decent to come to the barn. I'd even settle for a game at Xcel or Target Center, heck maybe the could play a game at US Bank as a test run for future NCAA regions

Scenario: So let's say Gophers end up on the bubble in 2017-18 season

Here's another thing about this, an unspoken one, and then I'll get off my high horse.

Two years from now it's very possible the Gopher program could be back in the "bubble stage". That means every single game is important, and where games are played is especially important. What if in 2017-18 the Gophers land squarely on the bubble with a RPI in the high 40s/low 50s and say a 8-10 or 9-9 B1G record, and one of those losses is a close one to the Buckeyes in NYC?

What about the difference between playing 8 B1G home games instead of 9? What about the chance that giving up that home game (and perhaps a win) vs. a traditionally strong program (OSU) is the difference between getting into the tournament or getting left out?

Not a stretch given Gopher basketball history.

Naturally. I'm sure there will be 'great deal' on a charter or something. Coach Miles won't be too happy about losing a home game though. :cool:

Delaney has sold out the identity of the Big Ten.

So sad.

Anyone know if the Big Ten can make a team give up one of their home games for something like this? Or does the team/athletic department have to agree to it?

I believe the NFL pretty much makes teams lose a home game to London. My problem with that is they will only make certain teams do it. You'll never see Dallas, Pittsburgh, or New England lose a home game.

They're forming a committee to explore the possibility of contacting the B1G about this as speak...

Here's another thing about this, an unspoken one, and then I'll get off my high horse.

Two years from now it's very possible the Gopher program could be back in the "bubble stage". That means every single game is important, and where games are played is especially important. What if in 2017-18 the Gophers land squarely on the bubble with a RPI in the high 40s/low 50s and say a 8-10 or 9-9 B1G record, and one of those losses is a close one to the Buckeyes in NYC?

What about the difference between playing 8 B1G home games instead of 9? What about the chance that giving up that home game (and perhaps a win) vs. a traditionally strong program (OSU) is the difference between getting into the tournament or getting left out?

Not a stretch given Gopher basketball history.

How about a positive spin.

A home win vs OSU isn't as good as a neutral court win.

A neutral court loss isn't as bad as a home loss.

Love this. Should only help Pitino's East Coast pipeline. Every East Coast kid he recruits leading up to the 2017-2018 season knows they'll be playing at MSG. It's a pretty nice recruiting tool.

Good point.

Would still rather take my chances having 9 true home games, instead of getting 8 while the other 13 teams in the league are still getting their full complement.

Good point.

Would still rather take my chances having 9 true home games, instead of getting 8 while the other 13 teams in the league are still getting their full complement.

Love you SS. I just have to try and keep you out of the ****ty schedule blues.

Would it go on the resume as a neutral site game? I know it SHOULD be because it is 1500 miles away but if it is technically deemed a "home" game how does it go on the resume?

Would it go on the resume as a neutral site game? I know it SHOULD be because it is 1500 miles away but if it is technically deemed a "home" game how does it go on the resume?

Neutral-site game. Unless the NCAA has changed the rule, it would only be considered a home game if Minnesota was in charge of ticket sales. I highly doubt that will be the case.

Good point.

If the Gophers are in the mix for a Big 10 Regular Season title or even a top 4 finish (double bye in the BTT) I will really miss the home game, as I think playing at MSG will make those goals harder.

If the goal is to just be on the good side of the bubble, I'd rather have the extra chance to better the road/neutral record and RPI with the neutral game.

I sense a discussion in the works at the Sally's dinner table tonight.

I sense a discussion in the works at the Sally's dinner table tonight.

On the bright side, 1 less Road Game for the Gopher Pucksters!

Strictly from a fan point of view, seems like it would have been a better idea to do this a different year from the BTT. I can't see many Gopher fanatics that would want to make both trips, 6 weeks apart.

Top Bottom