Mike Sherels is the strong survivor friends and Gophers teammates knew he'd become

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

Mike Sherels doesn’t remember five days last month. Five days when his life changed. Five days spent in ICU, on a ventilator, near death.

The former Gophers football captain and current assistant coach underwent four surgeries in one week as doctors discovered that his intestines were ravaged.

“They opened me up and everything was dead,” he said.

He didn’t learn the seriousness of his condition until after he woke up in his university hospital bed. His wife, Emily, showed him a picture of him sedated, holding his daughter’s hand while she looked at her favorite book, Dumbo.

Emily told 3-year-old Valerie that the ventilator was Dad’s superhero mask.

“Seeing that picture was like, I almost died,” Mike said, his voice trembling. “I didn’t know.”

http://www.startribune.com/mike-she...gophers-teammates-knew-he-d-become/392804731/

Go Gophers!!

per Chip:

Mike Sherels doesn’t remember five days last month. Five days when his life changed. Five days spent in ICU, on a ventilator, near death.

The former Gophers football captain and current assistant coach underwent four surgeries in one week as doctors discovered that his intestines were ravaged.

“They opened me up and everything was dead,” he said.

He didn’t learn the seriousness of his condition until after he woke up in his university hospital bed. His wife, Emily, showed him a picture of him sedated, holding his daughter’s hand while she looked at her favorite book, Dumbo.

Emily told 3-year-old Valerie that the ventilator was Dad’s superhero mask.

“Seeing that picture was like, I almost died,” Mike said, his voice trembling. “I didn’t know.”

http://www.startribune.com/mike-she...gophers-teammates-knew-he-d-become/392804731/

Go Gophers!!

Wow. Best wishes to Mike and his family as he recovers. He's one strong human being and it sounds like his wife is too.

Yes, "Wow" is right. Thanks Bleed and more so thanks to Mr.Sherels for sharing a tough story.

WOW indeed. Everyone should read that article regardless of whether you want to give the Strib a click or not.

Praying for Mike and family. If you don't tear up after reading that I don't want you on my team.

Who's chopping onions?

All the best to Coach S. Stay strong!!!!

Mike and Marcus are Minnesota Football royalty if you ask me. They both have these amazing stories that've played out in front of us for the last decade plus. #SherelsStrong

The will to live is a strong stimulate. Hope he gets back full throttle. We need him....

This is devastating. You guys should all understand that barring a medical miracle that has not yet ever occurred in anyone, this is certainly fatal. I'm dying inside. Love the guy.

Wow, that is crazy! Praying for him and his family.

It was very concerning that there was no information being made public and now we know why. Sending positive thoughts that he can overcome this devastating health condition. He is a class act.

Does anyone know is it possible to transplant the small intestines? sure hope so.

Woof...absolute warrior. #SherelsStrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

God Bless you Coach. Stay strong.

Both are absolute overachievers, continually proving everyone wrong. Can't wait to see him back in full swing on the sidelines.

Coach is a warrior. He is in for a long battle but he has the right mindset and a strong support network.

Kudos to Emily, Mike and their entire family for sharing this story. It is such a personal thing to make public, but so glad they did. I think that many just assumed that this was a much smaller issue since it wasn't made public. I feel that by doing so, the entire state of MN can rally around them, there is no one who I'd bet on more than Mike Sherels. He's a fighter, and quite honestly, a freak of nature...and Emily...there really are no words. I cannot imagine going through this, raising 2 kids, and knowing Twins are on the way. I can't think of a bigger motivation for Mike than getting back to his beautiful, strong and supportive family.

Also, a thank you to Chip for telling this story. I can't think of any writer who would have done a more beautiful job. I know there isn't a dry eye in my house right now.

#SherelsStrong #NeverTellMeTheOdds

Kudos to Emily, Mike and their entire family for sharing this story. It is such a personal thing to make public, but so glad they did. I think that many just assumed that this was a much smaller issue since it wasn't made public. I feel that by doing so, the entire state of MN can rally around them, there is no one who I'd bet on more than Mike Sherels. He's a fighter, and quite honestly, a freak of nature...and Emily...there really are no words. I cannot imagine going through this, raising 2 kids, and knowing Twins are on the way. I can't think of a bigger motivation for Mike than getting back to his beautiful, strong and supportive family.

Also, a thank you to Chip for telling this story. I can't think of any writer who would have done a more beautiful job. I know there isn't a dry eye in my house right now.

#SherelsStrong #NeverTellMeTheOdds
No doubt. This will be my story for the year.

Certainly puts the things we argue and complain about on Gopherhole into perspective. Prayers for Mike, Emily and the entire Sherels family!

Does anyone know is it possible to transplant the small intestines? sure hope so.

I'm someone whose had a portion of my small intestines removed, 18 inches removed in 2011. I have Crohn's disease. My GI said we don't want to go below 3 feet. The only thing I've heard about is testing pig intestines as a replacement. But I'm no doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know what may have caused this? I didn't see anything in the article, just the symptoms & result.

Does anyone know what may have caused this? I didn't see anything in the article, just the symptoms & result.

"Everything started July 24 when Sherels noticed blood in his stool. He went through a series of tests and scans that ruled out common gastrointestinal disorders but failed to locate the source of his bleeding. His blood loss caused his hemoglobin level to drop, requiring a series of transfusions.

Growing concerned, Sherels consulted with Gophers team doctors and was admitted to the university hospital. Doctors repeated previous tests as Sherels continued to lose blood.

One night, he got up at 4 a.m. to use the bathroom and passed out. His hemoglobin had dropped to a very low level.

When he regained consciousness, doctors were surrounding him in bed and were preparing defibrillation.

An angiogram finally discovered the source of bleeding in an area at the entrance of his large intestine. Doctors found and repaired an abnormal cluster of blood vessels, a condition known as angiodysplasia."

I was wondering also. Is it genetic or acute alergic reactions or something else? Prayers for his and his families strength and peace!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Tragic and also very inspirational. Wishing the very best for Coach and his family.

Top Bottom