Mike Sherels is the strong survivor friends and Gophers teammates knew he'd become

I was wondering also. Is it genetic or acute alergic reactions or something else? Prayers for his and his families strength and peace!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
The way I read it, the initial problem was a congenital defect, he then had an allergic reaction to a drug that killed a large portion of his intestines. My brother had an allergic reaction to a drug while in the hospital for back surgery, it's under reported, but it does happen.

"Everything started July 24 when Sherels noticed blood in his stool. He went through a series of tests and scans that ruled out common gastrointestinal disorders but failed to locate the source of his bleeding. His blood loss caused his hemoglobin level to drop, requiring a series of transfusions.

Growing concerned, Sherels consulted with Gophers team doctors and was admitted to the university hospital. Doctors repeated previous tests as Sherels continued to lose blood.

One night, he got up at 4 a.m. to use the bathroom and passed out. His hemoglobin had dropped to a very low level.

When he regained consciousness, doctors were surrounding him in bed and were preparing defibrillation.

An angiogram finally discovered the source of bleeding in an area at the entrance of his large intestine. Doctors found and repaired an abnormal cluster of blood vessels, a condition known as angiodysplasia."

Right, but do we know what causes angiodysplasia? Is it a rare abnormality that can develop or is there a root cause? Just curious because it sounds like such a freak thing for an otherwise healthy young man.

Edit: nsmike's explanation makes sense. Congenital defect followed by severe allergic reaction to medication.

Top Bottom