Mike Sanford Jr. said coaches challenged redshirt senior quarterback Tanner Morgan to become leaner, stronger and more explosive during the offseason.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Gophers’ offensive coordinator Mike Sanford Jr. said coaches challenged redshirt senior quarterback Tanner Morgan to become leaner, stronger and more explosive during the offseason. “It’s really transformed his game,” Sanford said of Morgan’s development. “And mentally I’ve never seen him at a better place. He is handling everything with such incredible leadership, and the intangibles he brings to the table are so unique.”

Go Gophers!!

I guess that there is always room to improve, but sometimes I think that quarterbacks should be left alone.
giphy.gif

But more seriously I think QBs are born great or just ... not and a lot of work goes into trying to shape them when most of it is just a skill / situational awareness type thing that is really hard to teach. But I get why people try, they're paid a lot to do it ... / not to say they can help but the larger issues are maybe not teachable.

If this results in half a step quicker, then I am all for it. If you're not improving you're going backwards.

Might be related to asking Tanner to pull back the ball and run himself a few times a game? He sometimes has an open lane. Add a third facet to our RPO offense.

Might be related to asking Tanner to pull back the ball and run himself a few times a game? He sometimes has an open lane. Add a third facet to our RPO offense.
Will be intresting to see without Johnson or Bateman if we see that. I'm less a fan of that but might become necessary.... although I don't know how much you can add that dynamic late and have it pay off.

As long as he doesn't run like Mo trying to ram the defense for an extra yard or two I'm all for it.

Will be intresting to see without Johnson or Bateman if we see that. I'm less a fan of that but might become necessary.... although I don't know how much you can add that dynamic late and have it pay off.
I feel like there have been so many opportunities to run in the past that we haven't taken advantage of. Yes it is a risk, but so many college qbs have that threat. Would be nice if we used it now and then.

giphy.gif

But more seriously I think QBs are born great or just ... not and a lot of work goes into trying to shape them when most of it is just a skill / situational awareness type thing that is really hard to teach. But I get why people try, they're paid a lot to do it ... / not to say they can help but the larger issues are maybe not teachable.
I see your point. I just don't want him to be over-coached and then go into a major regression.

Annexstead was throwing the ball well during the open practice last week. IMO it was coming out with more zip and accuracy than Morgan. Deep throws seemed to be in Annexstead’s favor too. I would like to see Annexstead get some time this year.

My 14 years of following gopher football has assured me that coaches comments to the media are worthless. I like that we discuss it and I am entertained by it but Jerry Kill’s lies ruined it.

My 14 years of following gopher football has assured me that coaches comments to the media are worthless. I like that we discuss it and I am entertained by it but Jerry Kill’s lies ruined it.
Yeah the whole WRs comment ... that sucked :(

It was weird because it wasn't like it was fall practice where everyone is great, like that's fine. He just offered it before a bowl game about guys who weren't playing and talked about how much he wanted them to play.

I'm pretty immune to coach comments / hype, but that was such a weird situation to identify such a weak spot and talk up all that talent when he didn't have to and ... still suck ass at it. Jerry was usually more conservative about those kinds of things, just weird.

The QB does not have to run a lot - but if he doesn't run at least a couple of times a game, the Defense will ignore him and drop players to take away other options.

On the other hand, if a QB shows he can run effectively, that forces the defense to pay him more attention.

I certainly don't expect Morgan to turn into a Trey Lance clone, but if he can just keep the ball a couple of times a game and pick up 5-6 yards a crack, I think it will make the entire offense better.
And if he gets banged up, the Gophers have backups with experience.

If WR takes a step back and our QB's are all healthy, the QB has to be asked to be a part of the run game. We showed last year that we won't win games on the arm of the QB. Have to become less predictable to improve on offense IMO.

Anybody else immediately think about the Six Million Dollar Man opening after reading the thread title?

If WR takes a step back and our QB's are all healthy, the QB has to be asked to be a part of the run game. We showed last year that we won't win games on the arm of the QB. Have to become less predictable to improve on offense IMO.
Mitch ran ... didn't seem to change up the game that much.

The QB does not have to run a lot - but if he doesn't run at least a couple of times a game, the Defense will ignore him and drop players to take away other options.

On the other hand, if a QB shows he can run effectively, that forces the defense to pay him more attention.

I certainly don't expect Morgan to turn into a Trey Lance clone, but if he can just keep the ball a couple of times a game and pick up 5-6 yards a crack, I think it will make the entire offense better.
And if he gets banged up, the Gophers have backups with experience.
Tanner running 3 or 4 times a game when the lane is open is probably worth a few first downs. Could be the difference in extending a critical drive.

The more Leidner had to run the worse his passing became.
Weber was a really good passer until the coaches "helped ' him with his passing motion.
Morgan is not built for speed or to get knocked around. His passing accuracy decreases the more he is sacked.
He is a very accurate passer up to about 20-25 yards.
The coaches should leave well enough alone.

By the way, what was Sanford going to say?? :ROFLMAO:

"I went to Tanner and said 'look, I want you to take it easy this summer, OK? You don't need to be working out a lot, just rest, play video games, hang out at the lake. Your body was just fine last year, no need to worry about that. When we get to fall camp, we'll run a few a laps around the field and get in game shape. But don't worry about it until fall camp!'"

Leidner picked up a lot of 1st downs and touchdowns.
That offense was so anemic at times tho.

I never could tell if Mitch running (outside of a TD run) was a good thing or just: lol can't do anything else on this pass play!

I never felt like teams were really adjusting to guard Mitch or anything because the OL struggled so often that you didn't have to and other teams at times seemed more than willing to give him space to run as they knew it wasn't a kind of play we could rely on all the time.

That's not a knock on Mitch as much as a system that just wasn't gud.

Outside of BIG TIME dual threat QBs like Wilson or someone, I'm skeptical of the value of QB run plays. I think they're like sprinkles on a cake, they look nice, they can work here and there, but they're not what makes the cake good, and if the cake stinks ... sprinkles do jack squat.

Last edited:

The more Leidner had to run the worse his passing became.
Weber was a really good passer until the coaches "helped ' him with his passing motion.
Morgan is not built for speed or to get knocked around. His passing accuracy decreases the more he is sacked.
He is a very accurate passer up to about 20-25 yards.
The coaches should leave well enough alone.
Btn last Saturday showed the 2009 min Ill game. Weber did his 360 spin move where he has his back to the play. That’s a no no. Oh the wr’s were dropping balls all over the field. We fell short 28-23 that nov day

What is Morgan's 40 time? If he is like a 5.0, that is the reason he is not running, he just is slow. I think Lance ran a 4.6 or 4.7.

And hence why the RPO is a better scheme than the read option, in such scenarios.

Mahomes ran a 4.8 and he seems to do ok running. I wouldn't be shocked if Morgan is 4.8 or 4.9.
What is Morgan's 40 time? If he is like a 5.0, that is the reason he is not running, he just is slow. I think Lance ran a 4.6 or 4.7.

Mahomes ran a 4.8 and he seems to do ok running. I wouldn't be shocked if Morgan is 4.8 or 4.9.
Running seems more like a mentality. It seems like players like Morgan would get hit less if he did have more of a run mentality, he looks like a victim at times.

Top Bottom