Mike Leach to Mississippi State

I think this is a great move for Miss.St.

Leach had Texas Tech rolling before he was shoved out the door be the admin after the Craig James sham accusation.

Leach also made Tim Couch into a #1 overall pick while the OC at Kentucky.
Tech did fine under Leach, but only in one out of his 10 seasons did they win more than 8-9 games. They won 11 that year, but lost to OU and so the Sooners went to the conf champ game.

This seems like an odd cultural fit to me, but I think he and Lane sniping at each other and recruiting the same state will be spectacular to watch from afar. Lots of talent in Mississippi, if either one of them can get the bulk of it they could make some noise in the SEC West. I don’t think that will happen, but it would be fun if it did.

Leach must love a challenge and not care much for scenery with his career choices. Will be better recruits but the hardest division in CFB many years. Great hire for MSU. I wanted Leach bad when the U hired Kill.

Leach must love a challenge and not care much for scenery with his career choices. Will be better recruits but the hardest division in CFB many years. Great hire for MSU. I wanted Leach bad when the U hired Kill.
My theory is he is running from a mess at WSU and wants this to effectively cash out of CFB.

My theory is he is running from a mess at WSU and wants this to effectively cash out of CFB.

Apparently Leach has had this burr under his saddle about whether his offense was sustainable long term in the SEC since he was with Kentucky with Hal Mumme.

I think it could work. Another poster mentioned it, but the big question is will he get a QB killed in the SEC with their D-Lineman. The counter argument is that he was able to in the Big12 back when Oklahoma, Texas and the most of the rest of the conference used to play defense.

Apparently Leach has had this burr under his saddle about whether his offense was sustainable long term in the SEC since he was with Kentucky with Hal Mumme.

I think it could work. Another poster mentioned it, but the big question is will he get a QB killed in the SEC with their D-Lineman. The counter argument is that he was able to in the Big12 back when Oklahoma, Texas and the most of the rest of the conference used to play defense.

I wonder if his offense is even his offense anymore.

I watched some WSU games and they could pass... and then Leach would just quit passing all of a sudden and do some wonky runs that go nowhere and kill several drives in a row.

Then he'd have some success with short passes against a team consistently playing way back in the secondary ... so then he'd run a bunch of deep pass plays right into the meat that secondary....

It was really strange looked / very confused / trying to force plays that weren't working at the expense of those that were.

I wonder if his offense is even his offense anymore.

I watched some WSU games and they could pass... and then Leach would just quit passing all of a sudden and do some wonky runs that go nowhere and kill several drives in a row.

Then he'd have some success with short passes against a team consistently playing way back in the secondary ... so then he'd run a bunch of deep pass plays right into the meat that secondary....

It was really strange looked / very confused / trying to force plays that weren't working at the expense of those that were.

I agree. There was some times, he just flipped over to running with the Borghi guy. I think sometimes he got a little too cute, even for Leach.

Leach contract is 4 Years / $5 million annually.

$4.7 million for assistants

Dirt poor state that can't pay to properly educate its rural, poor children .... but they'll find some money in the couch cushions to pay for a football coach!

Dirt poor state that can't pay to properly educate its rural, poor children .... but they'll find some money in the couch cushions to pay for a football coach!
Well ... more like won't . The whole "can't afford this" is just used in place of "I don't want to" in order to sound more reasonable.

Mike Leach
Lane Kiffin
Ed Orgeron
Nick Saban
Gus Malzahn
Jimbo Fisher
Sam Pittman

Good luck, Hogs!

Leach contract is 4 Years / $5 million annually.

$4.7 million for assistants

Did MSU put this summary of terms out? Love the "This highest of the following..." followed by referencing a $250,000 payout for winning the Southern Conference title. LOL.

SEC, SEC, SEC. Indeed.

Mike Leach
Lane Kiffin
Ed Orgeron
Nick Saban
Gus Malzahn
Jimbo Fisher
Sam Pittman

Good luck, Hogs!
In terms of SEC coaches you like, or in terms of coaching talent? If latter, why Saban so far down and Kiffin/Leach so far up?

Did MSU put this summary of terms out? Love the "This highest of the following..." followed by referencing a $250,000 payout for winning the Southern Conference title. LOL.

SEC, SEC, SEC. Indeed.
Think about how crazy trying to win the SEC West is, let alone the conference.

Every year, they have to play Texas A&M, LSU, Alabama, Auburn ... that's four programs with 90-100k capacity stadiums that sell out for every game, four athletic depts that are near the tops in the nation for revenue (well into the 9 figures realm) and that being largely from football revenue, four schools willing to pay the top of the top dollar for coaches, facilities, and whatever else is needed (*wink wink*) to win it all.

And also a blood feud rivalry with Ole Miss every year. And on top of whatever else.

Top Bottom