Mike Leach to Mississippi State

That will make the 2020 Egg Bowl worth watching.

Just to see the sidelines.

The "pirate" is headed to Starkvegas. CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd reports that Mississippi State will hire Mike Leach to be the next head coach of the Bulldogs. Leach will replace former coach Joe Moorhead, who was fired after just two seasons with the program.

Leach comes to Starkville with a proven track record of success at smaller-profile Power Five programs. He posted a 55-47 record as the head coach at Washington State from 2012-19. That included an 11-2 season in 2018 and nine-win seasons in 2015 and 2017. He led the Cougars to five straight bowl games, including an Alamo Bowl win over Iowa State in 2018 that earned the Cougars a No. 10 ranking in the final AP Top 25 poll.

He was the head coach at Texas Tech prior to his time in Pullman, where he posted an 84-43 record from 2000-09. He led the Red Raiders to an 11-2 record and a Cotton Bowl appearance in 2008, finished ranked five separate times and made a bowl game in all 10 of his seasons with the program.

Craig Bohl to Wazzou?

But seriously, wonder who they’ll look at.

He openly lobbied for the MN job after Brewster was fired. He will always be a "what if" question in my mind. My best guess is he would have accomplished at least as much here as he did at Washington State, but would have had multiple administrative entanglements and perhaps a bombshell Strib investigative series, or two.

Seems to have a niche, pulling up downtrodden underdog programs.

That doesn't seem like a move up. I get it's SEC, but it doesn't really have a recent history of winning.

That doesn't seem like a move up. I get it's SEC, but it doesn't really have a recent history of winning.
They were scary in Dak’s day. But having to play LSU, Bama, Auburn every year plus in-state blood rivalry with Ole Miss on top of other slate ... too much to overcome.

Good hire for MSU, and probably time for Leach to move on. Ya gotta like coaches that make press conferences pop-corn watching events. Wonder if he'll torch some bridges with reporters as he's heading out of town?

Good hire for MSU, and probably time for Leach to move on. Ya gotta like coaches that make press conferences pop-corn watching events. Wonder if he'll torch some bridges with reporters as he's heading out of town?

"Enjoy the bleeping cold" level parting shot at least.

This is an absolute step up from Wazzou.

Wazzou is a difficult place to win and recruit. Mike Leach's offense will be interesting with some SEC athletes.

Bulldogs come to TCF Bank Stadium on Sept. 12, 2026. Minnesota will travel to Starkville for a game on Sept. 11, 2027. Will both current coaches be at their respective schools by the first meeting?

Washington St is #70 on the 247 team talent ranking. Mississippi St is #23. Let’s see what what he can do with it.

Washington St is #70 on the 247 team talent ranking. Mississippi St is #23. Let’s see what what he can do with it.
But they also play higher talent, week in and week out.

With Lame Kiffen at Ole Miss, that will make for some fireworks.

Totally forgot about Kiffin going to Ole Miss. Going to be entertaining for the media down in Mississippi with those two.

Some big personalities in the SEC West with Kiffin, Leach, Saban, and Ogeron

He openly lobbied for the MN job after Brewster was fired. He will always be a "what if" question in my mind. My best guess is he would have accomplished at least as much here as he did at Washington State, but would have had multiple administrative entanglements and perhaps a bombshell Strib investigative series, or two.

Seems to have a niche, pulling up downtrodden underdog programs.

Leach here would have been interesting to say the least. Guy is a heck of a football coach but I really don't know how well his personality would have played here with the fans and media. Would have been really entertaining though.

I'm not sure how Leach's offense will do in the SEC. I know he will have better talent, but the thing that causes his offense trouble is athletic pass rushers because he puts his OL in so many one on one pass blocking situations. He rarely if ever uses a TE, so he can't "chip" on a dominant pass rusher. And what does the SEC have more of than any other conference? Dominant defensive linemen....

Maybe it'll translate well, but it will definitely be something to watch.

I'm not sure how Leach's offense will do in the SEC. I know he will have better talent, but the thing that causes his offense trouble is athletic pass rushers because he puts his OL in so many one on one pass blocking situations. He rarely if ever uses a TE, so he can't "chip" on a dominant pass rusher. And what does the SEC have more of than any other conference? Dominant defensive linemen....

I think this is a great move for Miss.St.

Leach had Texas Tech rolling before he was shoved out the door be the admin after the Craig James sham accusation.

Leach also made Tim Couch into a #1 overall pick while the OC at Kentucky.

It'll be fascinating to watch how the Air Raid offense will work in the SEC. Especially once he gets a decent good group of possession QBs/receivers that can tire out those big D Linemen in the southern heat. On the flip side, sucks for defensive players when the offense doesn't care a whit about time of possession (maybe one of Claeys' issues).

So do we.
I thought you were implying he might be able to make his offense run better with better talent. I was only saying the defenses he will have to play against will also have those upgrades in talent.

Top Bottom