Mike Gundy seemingly admitting to driving under the influence "a thousand times in my life" in defense of star player's DUI arrest.

Never consent to a field sobriety test.

During a show I used to do on Twitch and internet radio, we had a local Hopkins cop on as a guest. I picked him up drove home to the show, and he was with me for over four hours, and he knows I only had water or Gatorade for the entire time, as a matter of fact, I had not had an alcoholic beverage for more than a week leading up to the show.

During the show the conversation went to what to do if you get pulled over for suspicion of DWI, and we talked a lot about the field sobriety test, so I asked him to test me on air…and I failed. He said my performance was enough to take me in for a blood test,etc.

But again, you do not have to consent to that test. If you refuse the PBT (preliminary breath test), you will be brought to the station for a blood test.
If an officer has gotten to the point where they're confident enough in their initial investigation to have you step out of the vehicle for SFSTs, they've established enough probable cause to arrest you on a DWI if you refuse to perform them and will have enough reasonable, articulable suspicion to get a warrant for blood. Again, there's no magical tactic to outsmart the procedural justice process related to driving under the influence as it stands to date in Minnesota. There's a boilerplate process for LE from probable cause for a traffic stop all the way through arrest, you can't beat it if the cop knows what he's doing and is adequately trained. And no cop is going to put you through a blood draw because you suck at balance, there are a ton of factors that go into the decision to wake a judge up to request a SW and that has to be articulated in the facts and findings portion of the warrant application. 99% of the time its horizontal gaze nystagmus that will fuck you, and that's not a test that you can beat or practice for. If it's clear and apparent, you're under arrest. Now, this doesn't necessarily mean you'll ultimately be found guilty in court, but they've got you nailed on the night of the offense and you'll be in jail with a booking photo online if your county posts them. Not worth it.

not defending drunk driving - but putting in cultural context:

in rural areas, what Gundy is talking about used to be routine. when I was in my late teens and early 20's, my buddies and I would spend nights just driving around and drinking - 4 or 5 guys in a car with a case of beer, tooling around on back roads, just BS'ing.

the cultural attitude was different. then times changed - more attention was given to drunk driving and the penalties for getting arrested got a lot stronger. and the guys in my social circle got older and most of us tried to act more like adults.

but - back in the day, in a rural setting, people would have 4 or 5 beers or mixed drinks, and drive home from the local bar every night of the week. that is what Gundy is talking about.
I graduated mid-70's in rural Minnesota...the cops would pull my classmates over...and if drunk, drive them home...you are right SON...the norms were different then...but Gundy still was wrong.

I graduated mid-70's in rural Minnesota...the cops would pull my classmates over...and if drunk, drive them home...you are right SON...the norms were different then...but Gundy still was wrong.
I haven't had a drink outside of communion for 40 years. I was a straight arrow in high school, but when I got to college, I probably woke up over the legal limit at least once a month. I quit in 1984 as I was in the midst of a love trapezoid (much more complicated than a triangle) and decided to clear my head. Thought it would be a short break, but discovered I really liked being sober.

I'm a little older than you and grew up rural and the only caveat to your point is whether you got nabbed by town police or the county sheriff. If the local cop stopped you, you were safe unless you were judged to be totally incapable of driving. Bonus if the cop knew your family. All bets off with the county sheriff.

To the point of the thread, Gundy is pretty much a dope.

Last edited:

Even if you agree with Gundy, just tone deaf to say it and justify it like this is a good thing. Driving impaired kills people. Of all places to have a standing Uber/driving service as a NIL deal, why college teams don’t have this is mind boggling to me.

Top Bottom