Mike Grimm Appreciation

Maybe I should rephrase my original subject. I only made this after hearing some highlights of touchdowns and big plays on youtube over a few years (football only. I didn't know he did basketball). I don't have access to the great local announcers, and I was basically comparing him to the ESPN/FOX talking heads. As a Gopher fan, I like his homerism on the touchdown calls. I'm really just saying I like his voice when the Gophers have a big play.

But on a national level, I have to agree with Built. Scully will always be awesome, Keith Jackson will always be one of my all time favorites and his love for the Rose Bowl. I didn't mean to diminish anything the greats did, I just wanted to say that in my limited knowledge, Grimm is pretty special, and I'm happy to hear him.

Mike Grimm once punched a hole in a cow just so he could see who was coming up the road!

Maybe I should rephrase my original subject. I only made this after hearing some highlights of touchdowns and big plays on youtube over a few years (football only. I didn't know he did basketball). I don't have access to the great local announcers, and I was basically comparing him to the ESPN/FOX talking heads. As a Gopher fan, I like his homerism on the touchdown calls. I'm really just saying I like his voice when the Gophers have a big play.

But on a national level, I have to agree with Built. Scully will always be awesome, Keith Jackson will always be one of my all time favorites and his love for the Rose Bowl. I didn't mean to diminish anything the greats did, I just wanted to say that in my limited knowledge, Grimm is pretty special, and I'm happy to hear him.

No need to apologize or qualify your opinion about Grimm. He's a wonderful college football announcer and he probably should be considered among the best in the country. It's absurd to compare any current sports announcer to Vin Scully or any of the great football announcers of the past.

Instead we should compare Grimm to Paul Allen, the current Vikings radio announcer who I find almost unlistenable. PA's petulance when things aren't going well for the Vikes is juvenile, and his touchdown calls make him sound like a South American soccer announcer. I will take Grimm over PA any time.

Last edited:

Right now, Bob Kurtz is the best local play-by-play on the radio. Not contest IMHO.

Ditto on Paul Allen. Nothing like facing the fact that your hometown squad has the 32nd ranked “voice of the team”
As for me, I always loved me some “Mean” Gene Okerland, voice of the AWA in town. “Introducing the heavyweight champion of the world: Verne Gagne. And in the other corner: Nick Bockwinkel....Bockwinkel.”

Ditto on Paul Allen. Nothing like facing the fact that your hometown squad has the 32nd ranked “voice of the team”
As for me, I always loved me some “Mean” Gene Okerland, voice of the AWA in town. “Introducing the heavyweight champion of the world: Verne Gagne. And in the other corner: Nick Bockwinkel....Bockwinkel.”
Mean Gene was the best!!

Instead we should compare Grimm to Paul Allen, the current Vikings radio announcer who I find almost unlistenable. PA's petulance when things aren't going well for the Vikes is juvenile, and his touchdown calls make him sound like a South American soccer announcer. I will take Grimm over PA any time.

Yeah I feel the same, I got kids... I get enough whining ... don't need Paul's too.

Then the handful of times I turn on sports radio and I get Paul talking and he sounds bored, like the entire time. It must be a radio guy thing because a lot of them do that. I've no idea why people want to listen to a bored guy.... but I guess they do?

Kevin Harlan was great with the Twolves.

Top Bottom