Mike Grimm Appreciation

BTChamp

Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks Mike's voice is the best on the planet?
Honestly, when he yells "Touchdown!" is awesome.
He deserves some credit his way.

He makes my chili hot.

Honestly, thanks Mike for everything you do. You are the best!

Assuming you just mean in college sports. I'm a bit spoiled having listened to Ray. Grimm is better than Dave Lee.

Assuming you just mean in college sports. I'm a bit spoiled having listened to Ray. Grimm is better than Dave Lee.
Yes, Gopher sports. I guess anytime I hear a Gopher touchdown highlight. Going back maybe 10 years? The big time networks suck when it comes to Grimm. I do not want to hear Beth Mowins. She does well, but Grimmy is something special.

Honestly, my opinion on Grimm is colored by the fact that he drives me bat-bleep crazy during basketball season. IMHO he spends way too much time complaining about the officiating when he does basketball.

The odd thing is that he doesn't do the same thing in football. Granted, the Gophers never seem to "deserve" any call that goes against them, but he doesn't seem to harp on the officiating in football the way he does in hoops.

but, as others have noted, Ray Christenson was a truly great announcer for football and hoops. Met him a couple of times - just a really nice guy.

I do like Grimm the best of the current local broadcasters. Ray Christensen and Herb Carneal were also amazing.

Frank Mazocco and Doug Woog were great too.

Honestly, my opinion on Grimm is colored by the fact that he drives me bat-bleep crazy during basketball season. IMHO he spends way too much time complaining about the officiating when he does basketball.

The odd thing is that he doesn't do the same thing in football. Granted, the Gophers never seem to "deserve" any call that goes against them, but he doesn't seem to harp on the officiating in football the way he does in hoops.

but, as others have noted, Ray Christenson was a truly great announcer for football and hoops. Met him a couple of times - just a really nice guy.

Ray was a great guy...and complained about the officiating constantly.

I enjoy Grimm's calls. I loved Ray. He is just one of those people that is always around or does something that you connect with through much of your life to the point you just wish we could all live as long as 200 year old tortoises. I would have loved to hand Ray C down to my kids and have them fall in love with his calls of Gopher sports too. But unfortunately life doesn't work that way. Lou Nanne on the State HS Hockey tournament is another guy I will miss greatly when he finally steps down.

Grimm is no slouch, but now that I attend all home Gopher games and watch most away games on TV, I just don't get the opportunity to listen to his work as much as I did Ray.

Yes, Gopher sports. I guess anytime I hear a Gopher touchdown highlight. Going back maybe 10 years? The big time networks suck when it comes to Grimm. I do not want to hear Beth Mowins. She does well, but Grimmy is something special.
Are we going with the current bunch of announcers? Gary Danielson is very good. Gus Johnson can get on my nerves at times but he brings the excitement.

Ray was the best, no doubt, but Mike Grimm does a great job as well. In addition, here are some of my all-time favorites:
Ray Scott (Packers, Gophers, Twins, Hall of Famer)
Herb Carneal, (nuff said)
Keith Jackson ("whoa Nellie")
Brad Nessler (Minnesota boy from St. Charles, I believe, love his play calling)
Gus Johnson (always brings the excitement)
Al Shaver (non better)
Wally Shaver (a great voice of Gopher Hockey)

This is bringing back great memories. There used to be a guy in the Twin Cities named Frank Beutel who I liked. Not sure if he was always as well prepared as some of the others on the above lists, but I thought that he was good. One of my friends really liked listening to Ron Trongard, but I do not remember him well. I will always remember listening to Ray when parts of the Gophers hoops team went bonkers vs. Ohio State in the early '70's. No one could have handled it better. Of the current announcers I really like Grimm and Nessler. Go Gophers!

Ray C., Al S., Herb C. - when radio was king, we were blessed with some of the best.

Grimm is very good.

Anthony Lapanta does nice job as well.

Grimm needs to stop whining about the officials. Otherwise he's not too bad.
Complaining about officiating is for losers. Pretty good voice. Average. We all have our own bias, i had years listening to Ray Scott, Scully, Enberg, Keith Jackson. Scully and Enberg were local where i lived.

I like Grimm, but DT makes the broadcast for me, on the rare occasion I listen to a broadcast. DT is honest, insightful and gives a unique perspective. He's clearly rooting for the squad, but doesn't go out of his way to be a homer.

Grimm should stop worrying about officials. I have listened in the car to basketball games, remembered what he was complaining about, and then watched it on the TiVo. I have done this on multiple occasions and he was wrong on every single play. Seriously, every single one I have looked at. Often, Spencer attempts to calm him down and suggest subtly that he is wrong. But the Grimmer will not have it. The problem to me is when he is wrong about officiating and doesn't know the rules, he loses credibility as an announcer. Does he really have any idea of what he is watching? And, he complains about officials for football too. Not as much, but he does. Tough to listen to. He is nowhere near RC's league.

It's damn difficult to call a game while officiating it. Grimm is an excellent caller and a terrible official. Unfortunately, gratuitous officiating is a habit that's hard to escape.

Who is the lopey dopey bumbler on the basketball call with Grimm? That guy is from the Dave lee school of sports announcing.

It's all relative.

I lived in Iowa when Jim Zabel was still doing Hawkeye football games on the radio. there has never been a bigger "homer" than Zabel. If Iowa was trailing in a game, Zabel would implore the fans to "hug and kiss your radios and pray for the Hawkeyes" and stuff like that. He was so over-the-top he was kind of funny. I met the guy a couple of times when I was working down there. sat in the pressbox next to him at the State Track Meet one year at Drake. (best place ever to watch a track meet...)

Top Bottom