Mike Bruesewitz Named AP player of the year

yuck

No Badger recruit should ever win Minnesota POY.

IMHO.

Your point?

Like I wrote on your board. You'll be happy with Bruesewitz because he is a good player and he is basically a more athletic version of Krabbenhoft without the strength that he'll have after 4 years in colllege. Most years he would have been the #1 or #2 player in the state but this year he was probably the third best player. He got POY because he put up the best stats and he was the best player on the best team not named Hopkins--well at least that was true until the state tournament.

Royce White is by far the best player in the state. However, he played on a team with 5 starters that will go D-I so he didn't need to put up big numbers to win games. You put White on a team with only one or no other scoring options and he would have put up epic scoring numbers.

IMO Minnesota will be remorseful that Sam Dower from Osseo got away more than any other player in this class. I personally feel like Dower is the second best player in the state. The Gophers got Mbawke in place of Dower but I really think Dower is going to have a great career at Gonzaga.

I think Broghammer will have a really good career at Notre Dame too and I would rank him 4th behind Bruesewitz.

IMO Minnesota will be remorseful that Sam Dower from Osseo got away more than any other player in this class. I personally feel like Dower is the second best player in the state. The Gophers got Mbawke in place of Dower but I really think Dower is going to have a great career at Gonzaga.

I agree over time. He needs to get stronger but a great touch around the basket. Mbawke will have a much greater impact right away though and might be more important to the Gophers. They need to get a big man in the next year or two [2010-2011] to keep experience in the middle over the long term.

Wisconsin can have him. Tubby got who we want. If he wanted him, he would have went after him. I trust Tubby knows what kind of player he wants.

I am very curious to see how Dower turns out at Gonzaga. I wish we could keep all of our best kids here at the U, but obviously that can't happen. I still like to to see MN kids have success at other colleges. My first chance to see him play was this year's state tourney. While he appeared to be athletic and mobile, he is very slight in build. He also has a low release on his jumper and terrible form. Did anyone else notice those weaknesses watching him play?

"No Badger recruit should ever win Minnesota POY."

Where you are going to college has absolutely nothing to do with being selected, nor should it. Congrats, Mike.

not really news. this type of award is nothing but a popularity/political contest for the writers. bruesewitz is the perfect little suburban kid that AP voters "want" to pick for these things as opposed to who was really the best b-ball player in the state.

most in minnesota understand that bruesewitz was perhaps (and i am probably being too generous) the 5th best player in the state (b-ball skills wise) this year behind royce white, sam dower, rodney williams & mike broghammer.

every year this MN POY AP vote reminds me of the movie "election" starring reese witherspoon and matthew broderick. bruesewitz = reese witherspoon playing to the electors & the AP voters (like our friend fat pat reusse) = matthew broderick getting duped.

so, jwill535 congrats to you & wisky. you guys have yourself another middling, somewhat slow white kid with a mid-range jump shot from the midwest who gets to play in bo's boring-ass, slow it down offensive scheme.

meanwhile over the next 6-8 years tubby and the gophers will continue to reestablish their historical dominance over becky b-ball. :clap::clap:

AP POY

Rodney Williams is more athletic than Bruesewitz and probably has more college potential. But you cannot say he's a better player than Bruesewitz right now, which is all that matters for this award. Mike B's game is more complete and more polished right now. To quote ESPN's description: "Skill development must be at the top of his list to be successful in college. Williams struggled to score in a half court setting. He must work on his overall shooting and ball handling. He didn't look comfortable shooting the three or making scoring moves off the dribble"

Royce White is a better player than Mike B, but it's not based on who the best player is. It's based on who had the best year. You may think that's unfair, but you at least have to recognize that carrying a hefty portion of the load for a team that was as successful as Sibley makes a pretty strong case.

I'm sure you have issue with Cody Schilling, but to say that the AP POY is questionable every year is a gross over generalization. Here's the list, how many of these can you really argue with:

2009—Mike Bruesewitz, F, Henry Sibley
2008—Cody Schilling, G, Ellsworth
2007—Cole Aldrich, C, Bloomington Jefferson
2006—Isaiah Dahlman, F, Braham
2005—Isaiah Dahlman, F, Braham
2004—Spencer Tollackson, C, Chaska
2003—Kris Humphries, F, Hopkins
2002—Kris Humphries, F, Hopkins
2001—Rick Rickert, C, Duluth East
2000—Adam Boone, G,

Solid points, bread-guy. I am not sure that I agree with the pick, especially with Sibley getting bounced in the state tourney by a lesser team, but I don't think it's egregious by any means.

Royce was the best player in the state, and on the best team in the state (maybe ever). That should've been more than enough for the POY award, but whatever. I know Royce doesn't want to trade places with Mike, his game, his potential bball career, or his awards.

From your list, both Schilling and Spencer were a bit of a joke. The rest are tough to argue against.

BTW, I wouldn't rely too much on ESPN's scouting reports for high school players, especially ones that aren't in major markets or the McD's game. They are a lazy organization, especially when it comes to scouting and player evals. They are way too concerned with DUKE BAYBEEEEEEEE, PTPers, SLAM JAM BAM!, the Big East being the greatest conference ever, Yankees-Sox, ND, etc. to really scout Rodney and guys like him.

Do you mean Spencer was a bit of a joke as a Gopher or the 2004 POY reciepient?

His HS career stats were very solid and avg 20ppg and 10 Rebs his Sr year when Chaska went 30-2 and won a state title. Plus numerous post season awards and was on many top 100 lists.

Why the hatred?

I don't follow HS basketball, but why such venom toward the young man? Because he signed with the Badgers? I'm sure Tubby's glad he got White, and I'm sure Bo's glad he got Bruesewitz. What's the big deal? Sounds to me like any number of young men could have received the POY, it just so happens Bruesewitz is the one that won it.

bruesewitz is the fifth best player in the state? that's funny. i also find it interesting that being a solid kid is "playing to the AP voters".

I don't follow HS basketball, but why such venom toward the young man? Because he signed with the Badgers? I'm sure Tubby's glad he got White, and I'm sure Bo's glad he got Bruesewitz. What's the big deal? Sounds to me like any number of young men could have received the POY, it just so happens Bruesewitz is the one that won it.

Amen. I am a Badger fan, (duh) and I really enjoy Minnesota High School basketball. What is the big fricking deal? Brue had a great career at Sibley and got the award, so what? It was a very good class in Minnesota and the Gophers can't take them all. Hopkins got the most important award. I am sure Brue would give his award back for the State Championship.

Royce White is a better player than Mike B, but it's not based on who the best player is. It's based on who had the best year. You may think that's unfair, but you at least have to recognize that carrying a hefty portion of the load for a team that was as successful as Sibley makes a pretty strong case.

If the standard is carrying a hefty portion of the load for ones team, Dower did more of that for Osseo than Bruesewitz did for Sibley. While not have the talent around him White did at Hopkins, other than Bruesewitz Sibley had another front court player who signed with Valpo, a junior with early offers from NDSU and UW-Milwaukee, and junior center Jake Kreuser who is getting looks from Minnesota among other schools. Osseo was a better team than Sibley despite Sibley having a lot more beyond their top player than Osseo.

Dower/Osseo

If the standard is carrying a hefty portion of the load for ones team, Dower did more of that for Osseo than Bruesewitz did for Sibley. While not have the talent around him White did at Hopkins, other than Bruesewitz Sibley had another front court player who signed with Valpo, a junior with early offers from NDSU and UW-Milwaukee, and junior center Jake Kreuser who is getting looks from Minnesota among other schools. Osseo was a better team than Sibley despite Sibley having a lot more beyond their top player than Osseo.

You realize Osseo lost to Sibley this year, right? 64-51. I think Sibley beat Osseo last year as well. I read that Bruesewitz outplayed Dower in those games but I didn't see them.

Wisconsin can have him. Tubby got who we want. If he wanted him, he would have went after him. I trust Tubby knows what kind of player he wants.

No question about who has the most potential. Minnesota got the guy they wanted. Does it mean he was player of the year, not neccesarily. Even if it had nothing to do with the team around him White still might not have won.

I think the reason some people don't like it is certain Wisconsin fans, media members, and tv announcers will go on and on about it and the uninformed will continue to make comments about Bo ruling MN because of Taylor and Brue being named player of the year even though neither was offered by Tubby. That gets frustrating but it's not that big of a deal.

breadtree said:

I would say that Mike had alot more help on Sibley then you are giving them credit four. They will end up with 4 div 1 kids off that team and had size that nobody could match up with. You could make a case for Royce averaging 16 a game on that loaded Hopkins team is just as impressive considering he usually only played 15-18 minutes a game.

Dower obviously has a strong case taking his team to the final game and had alot less talent around him than the Hopkins or Sibley guys. I guess that gets into the old MVP vs. Player of the Year debate that goes on in professional sports every year. I think Sam is a nice player but I have some doubts about how well he will do at the next level.

In the end, I just don't think a Hopkins kid can win it since they split up the stats and votes, and the general negative perception about the team and program shared by some in the basketball community. I think Royce can make a strong claim for it but his baggage will follow him regardless of how well he behaved this year.

Cowels and Jett have no chance so it will come down to bruesewitz and dower and I would say it's a toss up unless you count what happenned at state, edge to Dower.

Do you mean Spencer was a bit of a joke as a Gopher or the 2004 POY reciepient?

His HS career stats were very solid and avg 20ppg and 10 Rebs his Sr year when Chaska went 30-2 and won a state title. Plus numerous post season awards and was on many top 100 lists.

Agreed. Spencer was definitely the best HS player in the state that year. The second best was the kid on Burnsville that went to Marquette and then transferred to San Diego State (Amaroso or something like that). Chaska went 2-1 against Burnsville including a blow out in the state championship.

I think it was probably more directed at Wisconsin fans that come over to our site to post accolades for their recruits. Obviously Player of the Year is not the same as saying he is the best player and I'm not sure if they actually believe Bruesewitz is the best player in the state. I personally complimented him and them on both our site and their site but I won't pretend that I think he is better than White or Dower. He is a good fit for their system and is Krabbenhoft v2.0 with an upgrade in athleticism in the new version.

Many people chose to mock the AP for making the selection by ripping on the player that is clearly not the best in the state. I think they're just missing that POY is not the same as saying he is the best player or best prospect.

Top Bottom