Michigan pulls offer from longtime OL recruit weeks before signing day

Maybe if Miller wants him and tells TC to send an offer. Certainly wouldn't hurt sending him an offer, but I wouldn't get any hopes up unless he expresses interest in going here.

That's way late to pull an offer........

Dude's 247 page shows a lot of big programs were offering (granted that data is not always accurate).

I know it is part of the process but that is tough. I'd get it when Harbaugh was hired because this kid committed when Hoke was still the coach, but not this late.

Sounds like he'll go to Northwestern and sounds like Michigan has been telling him to have a back up plan for awhile and that this was a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like he'll go to Northwestern and sounds like Michigan has been telling him to have a back up plan for awhile and that this was a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back up plan is one thing but chopping this late can dork up any plan.

I know it is part of the process but that is tough. I'd get it when Harbaugh was hired because this kid committed when Hoke was still the coach, but not this late.
Now to be fair, Harbaugh may have been way too busy to even notice that they'd previously given this kid an offer. Do you have any idea how time-consuming snuggles are?

Good. If that kid had decommitted it would've been a sign that he's a terrible person that has no honor or respect and comes from an immoral family. But the school did it so its ok

Good. If that kid had decommitted it would've been a sign that he's a terrible person that has no honor or respect and comes from an immoral family. But the school did it so its ok

Stick to the narrative at all costs.

We parted ways with Sean Foster who is rated slightly higher than Erik Swenson. How is Erik better than Sean?

At least it was couple months ago so Foster could reevaluate and take visits with time to spare.

Not to be that guy, but we did just do something similar with the Daniels twins. I get it was more academic for them, but this is too much hate for something we have done to no less than five players this cycle.

If you believe any of the stories that have come out about Claeys asking kids to take a hike, then you better not say anything bad about this.

If you believe any of the stories that have come out about Claeys asking kids to take a hike, then you better not say anything bad about this.

Depends on when he asked them to hike.

And I'll bitch about him doing it too if I knew it was happening right now.

Not to be that guy, but we did just do something similar with the Daniels twins. I get it was more academic for them, but this is too much hate for something we have done to no less than five players this cycle.

We pulled the scholarships for the Daniel's twins? The only reason I said it sucks is because it is so late in the process and he has been committed for a long time.

Depends on when he asked them to hike.

And I'll bitch about him doing it too if I knew it was happening right now.

Again, if you believe the rumors we've now asked Tony Poljan and Sean Foster to take a hike. No one had a problem with it when we did it. Only when other people do it is it a problem.

I agree to some extent but they are different situations in my opinion. First those happened some time ago. The closer to signing day, generally the less opportunity kids have. Who knows how many of the offers he previously had are valid at this point.

Secondly, the situation with us is a little more understandable because of the coaching change. Different coach, different opinions.

I'm not saying what Michigan did was necessarily wrong. It's just how recruiting works. Just unfortunate it is so late. The kid committed a long time ago.

Again, if you believe the rumors we've now asked Tony Poljan and Sean Foster to take a hike. No one had a problem with it when we did it. Only when other people do it is it a problem.

There is a difference between telling a recruit they no longer have an offer, and explaining to the recruit that you are changing the direction of your offense, and being honest with them that they might not be a great fit. I've heard that we told Poljian he would be an ath/te. I don't know what happened with Foster, but it could be as simple as, we are going with a more athletic front, you still have an offer, but it's going to be tough to get PT.

I've also heard the Daniels twins might not have been able to get into school.

A straight scholly pull because of injury or because the school changed their mind is wrong.
A kid getting his dream offer or helmet offer and decommitting is not wrong.
A kid saying he is committed to a school, while telling a different reporter that the school is not in his top 4 is wrong.

The only reason I feel the Michigan case is worse is because he had been committed for two years and it's two weeks until signing day. Other than that, completely agree.

When did he tell them? Or at least when did the rumor say he told them?

There is a difference between telling a recruit they no longer have an offer, and explaining to the recruit that you are changing the direction of your offense, and being honest with them that they might not be a great fit. I've heard that we told Poljian he would be an ath/te. I don't know what happened with Foster, but it could be as simple as, we are going with a more athletic front, you still have an offer, but it's going to be tough to get PT.

I've also heard the Daniels twins might not have been able to get into school.

A straight scholly pull because of injury or because the school changed their mind is wrong.
A kid getting his dream offer or helmet offer and decommitting is not wrong.
A kid saying he is committed to a school, while telling a different reporter that the school is not in his top 4 is wrong.

All of your 'rights and wrongs' are purely subjective based on your own moral code regarding recruiting, a process with little morals involved. I could argue its wrong for adults getting paid to run sites to hound high school kids about deeply personal and important decisions. I could argue its dumb to label what a kid says to a professional reporter 'wrong' when the kids face all sorts of pressures to say the right thing to the right people knowing everything you say will be reported. I could also argue that its not wrong for a school to pull a kids scholly if they get new interest from a prospect they deem better because their jobs are dependent upon them getting the best talent. Everyone has their own standards of how they do or theoretically would handle the process but its silly IMO to judge from afar outside of a few outliers as the entire process is truly amoral

We pulled the scholarships for the Daniel's twins? The only reason I said it sucks is because it is so late in the process and he has been committed for a long time.
If kids take other visits, there is no ethical problem in pulling their offer if they previously said they were committed.

If kids take other visits, there is no ethical problem in pulling their offer if they previously said they were committed.

Yeah that would be a bit different, particularly with this Michigan kid who actually made a big deal about being loyal to his commitment from the day he made it.... then the team said nope.

When did he tell them? Or at least when did the rumor say he told them?
When there is a coaching change and there was a change here, it is just a bad situation for the player. But having him come here given the idea he is not going to play is not better. Maturi made Kill honor commitments to a lot of kids Brewster had recruited and a lot never came close to the field. If it had been up to him JK would have pulled a lot of those scholarship offers, I think. What was the right thing to do? It depends. For the guys who came here and worked hard in practice for four years, it was probably okay for everyone even if they did not play. For a few that were neither good players or teammates it was a mistake for us and probably them.
Maturi did it to save the recruiting class, but given how badly Brewster was recruiting his last two seasons, it was a well-intentioned mistake.

at the risk of sounding cynical, "ethics" and "recruiting" are two words that I would never use in the same sentence - at least not when you're talking about a major D1 school.

Schools oversign - they pull offers - they make promises to recruits about playing time knowing those promises may be empty.

recruits accept official visits to schools, get wined and dined, when in reality they may have no interest in attending that school. Recruits make verbal commitments, then renege on those commitments if they get a "better" offer.

Both sides play games - why? Money. Coaches make big bucks to put a winning team on the field, and they need to land the best recruits to keep their jobs. And recruits are hoping to put themselves in a situation where they have the best chance of going pro, so they can earn the big bucks.

Recruiting is an ugly process. Obsess over recruiting at your own risk.

Top Bottom