Michigan Football Head Coach

QB going with the MN/Clem Haskins "Everyone steals signs, we had to catch up to tOSU."
I believe his 80% estimate. To think differently would be foolish. How they do it can be debated, though. With how players and coaches move around these days, you'd think the signs would change regularly.

I'm not talking about legal status, I'm talking about common sense. If you think holding a practice outdoors equates to him killing someone, then we just disagree.

His decision led to someone’s death. I’ve never made a decision that led to someone’s death.

His decision led to someone’s death. I’ve never made a decision that led to someone’s death.
If you brought your friend skiing and your friend died on the slopes, I don't think you'd say you killed your friend.

Legal status aside—a student died because practice was held outdoors. Who made that decision? Thrilling answer is below.

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly said Saturday it was his decision to hold practice outdoors on a windy day when a student videographer died after the lift he was in fell over.

Kelly said that he decided the Irish could have a productive and safe practice on their outdoor practice fields last Wednesday, despite the wind. The National Weather Service said the breeze was gusting up to 51 mph at the time the tower that 20-year Declan Sullivan was in toppled to the ground.

Notre Dame had systems in place that deal with safety issues at practice but those systems failed and are being evaluated, Kelly said. Conditions including the heat index, lightning in the area and -- obviously -- wind, play into the decision whether to hold practice outside, he said.
Thanks for providing the background, UpAndUnder43. Now everyone on this board can make their own decision on whether it's reasonable to assume Brian Kelly could have overlooked the safety of the lift.

If you brought your friend skiing and your friend died on the slopes, I don't think you'd say you killed your friend.

Your analogy makes no sense. The STUDENT videographer likely wasn’t in a spot to tell the head coach “nah dude, I’m not feeling this”. They weren’t peers like me and my friends. It’s a boss-subordinate. The student likely was going to do whatever the head coach asked him to do. And he did. And he died. Because the coach had him film in inclement weather.

Your analogy makes no sense. The STUDENT videographer likely wasn’t in a spot to tell the head coach “nah dude, I’m not feeling this”. They weren’t peers like me and my friends. It’s a boss-subordinate. The student likely was going to do whatever the head coach asked him to do. And he did. And he died. Because the coach had him film in inclement weather.
Ok, make it your kid you brought skiing.

Ok, make it your kid you brought skiing.

If it was unsafe conditions—100% my fault. And this wasn’t recreation. It was avoidable by using their indoor practice facility.

If Darius Taylor got hurt because fleck opted for unsafe practice conditions outdoors and we were 99.9999999999999% certain he wouldn’t have been hurt if they practiced indoors, we’d blame fleck. Its like that—but someone died.

Back to the thread.

Michigan doesn’t want Brian Kelly (who killed a kid) considering the buyout and yearly costs.

I believe his 80% estimate. To think differently would be foolish. How they do it can be debated, though. With how players and coaches move around these days, you'd think the signs would change regularly.
People also forget these are kids and they are going to regurgitate whatever their coach tells them, which above sounds exactly like Jim speaking. Stealing signs in and of itself isn’t illegal. Never has been the argument. It’s the how they did it.

on the McCarthy comments - there is a difference between "sign stealing" which is not against the rules - and in-person scouting, which is against the rules. Michigan - or a person connected to Michigan - was operating a well-organized in-person scouting operation. that is against the rules.

but beyond that, the real question is whether Michigan is going to face additional penalties/consequences for operating its in-person scouting operation. the 3-game suspension of Harbaugh was from the B1G. the NCAA is also investigating and could issue additional penalties.

so - if the NCAA hits Michigan with additional penalties, does Harbaugh stay or leave?

my gut tells me that IF Michigan gets hit hard enough (loss of scholarships, recruiting restrictions, etc) then Harbaugh will bolt for the NFL.

Top Bottom