Michael Rand calls Green Line a "game changer" for traveling to Gopher games

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Michael Rand calls Green Line a "game changer" for traveling to Gopher games

per Rand:

• The biggest game-changer (pun intended?) is being able to get to the U of M campus on the Green Line. The logistics of vehicle traffic and parking on campus are hit-or-miss, and the critical mass only figures to swell with the Vikings playing there for two years. There is a stop that is basically front-door service at TCF Bank Stadium. It took me 35 minutes to get to it, and I started at the 38th Street Station on the Blue Line. This is something I can easily picture doing again, with a family.

• The inevitable temptation will be to attempt some great rail-based doubleheaders — for example, Twins/Gophers football (perhaps Sept. 6 or 20, depending on Gophers home game times) — on those days when one team plays in the afternoon and another plays at night. Just note that it does take time to get places. Our Green Line train left the Downtown East station at 11:12 a.m. Sunday and reached the end of the line in St. Paul 52 minutes later.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/263236161.html

Go Gophers!!

What are the wait times going to be like getting on LRT shortly before or after the game?

I haven't taken LRT before or after a Twins game but I've heard horror stories from others who have tried it.

What are the wait times going to be like getting on LRT shortly before or after the game?

I haven't taken LRT before or after a Twins game but I've heard horror stories from others who have tried it.

Wait in line for the train or wait in line in the ramp.

I've taken the train from the Twins a few times and have never waited more than 10 minutes, sometimes no wait at all. I took it from a Vikings game last year and it took about 20 minutes to get through the line. If you hang out in the stadium for a while after the game you won't have to wait at all.

I've taken the train from the Twins a few times and have never waited more than 10 minutes, sometimes no wait at all. I took it from a Vikings game last year and it took about 20 minutes to get through the line. If you hang out in the stadium for a while after the game you won't have to wait at all.
WAT?? If you wait long enough, you won't have to wait. Genius.

It would seem Mr. Rand is rather Metro centric. The options for the marketing to the Northern suburbs Anoka, Big Lake. And to the south and south west From Bloomington, Eden Prairie, Burnsville and even further south and further west. Just get to the Mall of America and park and catch the train. Why drive into the cities? Go early take in a tailgate, and stay late grab something to eat and head back to your car parked a couple blocks from 494 or at the park and ride in Big Lake.

Wait in line for the train or wait in line in the ramp.

I have a Machiavellian marketing idea. Hand out leaflets to those who are stuck In the Oak Street ramp upper levels, waiting damned near forever for their cars to start moving, touting season ticket upgrades as a way to avoid this purgatory on Earth in future years.

October 29, 2011. Minnesota versus Iowa. Rare game where I arrived close to game time rather than early. After the game, Stub and Herb's and everywhere else full to the brim. 45 minutes in Ramp waiting to move. Upgraded ever since....

Yeah, but if you're in a ramp or on the train, you are probably not real interested in tailgating.

Your assumption may work for some, but doesn't apply to me and like others in my situation. I'll be tailgating at my friend's spot and plan on taking the train to and from the tailgate. This is perfect since I can save on parking, gas and not have to worry about limiting drinks or finding a sober ride. Not worried about the rush because I can just hang out a bit before and after the game at the tailgate lots. It will be awesome (especially since I'm still in professional school and on a tight budget).

Your assumption may work for some, but doesn't apply to me and like others in my situation. I'll be tailgating at my friend's spot and plan on taking the train to and from the tailgate. This is perfect since I can save on parking, gas and not have to worry about limiting drinks or finding a sober ride. Not worried about the rush because I can just hang out a bit before and after the game at the tailgate lots. It will be awesome (especially since I'm still in professional school and on a tight budget).
That's a great way to go about things. If you don't have a friend with a spot though, it's really tough to make it work. I guess you could grab a styrofoam cooler and find an open spot in a lot.

At the Metrodome, there would be a line for the train immediately after the game, but if you stuck around to listen to the band, there was no line. Watch the band, do some tailgating, or find something else do do, and there won't be any trouble getting on the train.

Why are people complaining about wait times? This is simply adding another option to get to and from the game without detracting from the traditional ways to get to and from the game. This is nothing but a great thing for all of us whether we drive, ride or tailgate.

That's a great way to go about things. If you don't have a friend with a spot though, it's really tough to make it work. I guess you could grab a styrofoam cooler and find an open spot in a lot.

There is an excellent market for styrofoam recycling right now.

Bullschidt. Anytime is a good time to tailgate. Do you have a frikking curfew???

Me? No. I have been to nearly every home game since 06 and have tailgated for all but one. My point was people arriving via mass transit or those who park in ramps largely ignore the tailgate scene.

For all the legitimate pros & cons of the Green Line, taking it to campus for Gopher events is not one of them. Take the train it's a no-brainer. Tailgate afterwards if you're worried about wait times, find a bar, grab a coffee, eat dinner in Dinkytown, whatever. The Light Rail is a great way to get to/from the Bank if you live East of the stadium. Regarding those ramps, I'll say this: The only thing worse than waiting in a traffic jam, is waiting in a traffic jam in a parking lot, 8 floors up, in the corkscrew. Sucking gas fumes, crap radio signal, no bathroom, worse yet after a loss. Hello Green Line.

Having been to Knoxville for a football game, the biggest thing going there is The Vol Navy. They arrive on the Tennessee River. I don't know how this got started, but they arrive on Tuesdays and the largest boats have preference for mooring to the dock. From there it is tying off from the 100 footers to about twelve or thirteen deep. Its amazing. Let me say that again they start arriving for a Saturday Kickoff on Tuesday. Now I neither have the boat, or skill but my question can you dock on the Mississippi River near the U of M? And can you get there from Up stream say Anoka, Coon Rapids, or from Saint Paul. I realize you would need to use the locks and dams to get there but partying on a Tuesday?

Having been to Knoxville for a football game, the biggest thing going there is The Vol Navy. They arrive on the Tennessee River. I don't know how this got started, but they arrive on Tuesdays and the largest boats have preference for mooring to the dock. From there it is tying off from the 100 footers to about twelve or thirteen deep. Its amazing. Let me say that again they start arriving for a Saturday Kickoff on Tuesday. Now I neither have the boat, or skill but my question can you dock on the Mississippi River near the U of M? And can you get there from Up stream say Anoka, Coon Rapids, or from Saint Paul. I realize you would need to use the locks and dams to get there but partying on a Tuesday?

Water runs very fast in those parts and there is no really docking area that could hold lots of boats. Not to mention I'm not sure if recreational traffic is allowed through Lock and Dam #1 in DT Minneapolis.

...can you dock on the Mississippi River near the U of M? And can you get there from Up stream say Anoka, Coon Rapids, or from Saint Paul. I realize you would need to use the locks and dams...

I've been hoping for years that they would put in a dock system near the East River Flats, that is what is lacking. It looks custom made for exactly this. However, it might interfere with crew activities if they make it too big.

And yes, you can use the locks and dams to get there, whether you are in a canoe, houseboat, or really any other boat.

My beloved Gopher fanbase can't even get a gold out right so I think it might be a little early to hope for the successful navigation of locks and dams.

That is my smart ass answer but my serious one is I don't think there is boat docking at the UofM. I could be wrong on that, but nothing of the scale that would be required to duplicate what you have seen in TN.

I've been hoping for years that they would put in a dock system near the East River Flats, that is what is lacking. It looks custom made for exactly this. However, it might interfere with crew activities if they make it too big.

And yes, you can use the locks and dams to get there, whether you are in a canoe, houseboat, or really any other boat.

Upper St. Anthony Lock and Lock and Dam #1 (Ford Parkway) are to be closed to thru traffic in an effort to curb the spread of asian carp: http://www.startribune.com/local/260794031.html

Not for long with the whole Asian Carp problem.

Maroon beat me to it..

I guess the National Park Service should update their website.

I'd prefer if they focused their efforts on working with the DNR and whatever other authority to get rid of the carp, open the locks and get the Army Corp of Engineers to build a docking system for tailgating purposes.

I'd prefer if they focused their efforts on working with the DNR and whatever other authority to get rid of the carp, open the locks and get the Army Corp of Engineers to build a docking system for tailgating purposes.

I think that boat has probably sailed. Now it's simply a matter of trying to prevent the spread further upstream.

FYI

The "U" by the way is working closely with the Corp to get rid or stall out the carp.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/261815221.html

Back to the regularly scheduled discussion.

Upper St. Anthony Lock and Lock and Dam #1 (Ford Parkway) are to be closed to thru traffic in an effort to curb the spread of asian carp:

HEY NOW! "ASIAN" IS OFFENSIVE! please refer to the fish as "invasive fish from undetermined locations"

Top Bottom