Michael Brown-Stephens

wish him well.

makes sense why Fleck was going so hard after more WR's as he knew MBS situation.

Was a huge play in that game but I think you might be inflating the impact of it just a little....
You can always say stuff like one play doesn't win or lose a game, etc. etc. And it's correct.

But damn man ... even if it just doesn't get picked ....

Can say the same damn thing for the Iowa game. Even if that ball had just been batted down, rather than perfectly up into the air.

He takes a lot of flack, maybe treated more harshly here than even Morgan, or MSM, Mitch, or Schleuter (and many others) when they’ve had highly visible failures. The reality is he seemed to have suspect hands, a body catcher, and I can’t recall many athletic plays on 50/50 balls that made you go “wow”. He took some huge hits and seemed pretty tough. He contributed but overall wasn’t a visible impact difference maker and have to think a P5 contender can probably find a better replacement. Most of us eventually hit our ceilings whether sports, career, and so on and he was a starter at the highest level of college. Pretty good accomplishment. Best of luck to him, maybe he thrives in a different system.

People are being WAAAAAY to hard on this kid.
Exactly. The coaches were the ones that trotted him out there for multiple seasons.

Maybe we should be more disappointed in the staff, and try to stay away from the personal attacks on the kid.

Exactly. The coaches were the ones that trotted him out there for multiple seasons.

Maybe we should be more disappointed in the staff, and try to stay away from the personal attacks on the kid.
Are there any personal attacks on this kid? I criticized his play, said we're better without him, but I hardly find that personal. It's not like I was insulting any personal attribute of his, etc. Was I crass? Probably. Was it a personal attack? No.

You can always say stuff like one play doesn't win or lose a game, etc. etc. And it's correct.

Can say the same damn thing for the Iowa game. Even if that ball had just been batted down, rather than perfectly up into the air.
I have a theory that almost every football game, except lopsided games, come down to 3-5 plays... the problem is, you never know what 3-5 plays are going to be the big plays!

I have a theory that almost every football game, except lopsided games, come down to 3-5 plays... the problem is, you never know what 3-5 plays are going to be the big plays!

Every game could turn on a missed tackle, caught or dropped pass, penalty. The real heartbreakers are when players whiff on the easiest stuff they would normally hit effortlessly. Who hasn’t been there. MBS unfortunately had a really high profile whiff leading to a game changing outcome. Not quite Gary Anderson at the Dome but it’s up there in terms of what ifs.

The game rarely if ever hinges on one play, but usually in a close game, the team that comes out on the right side of the half-dozen to a dozen key plays usually wins the game. The Brown-Stephens drop/ricochet didn't lose us the game, but fact that it resulted in coming up with no points in the red zone did hurt.

But like others have said, he's been a net positive contributor and has made some nice plays in his three years on the field.

Are there any personal attacks on this kid? I criticized his play, said we're better without him, but I hardly find that personal. It's not like I was insulting any personal attribute of his, etc. Was I crass? Probably. Was it a personal attack? No.
I'm not pointing fingers at anyone specifically. I'm more disappointed in the staff........that MBS seemed like one of "PJ's guys"........the guys that play no matter what, no matter the score or opponent, no matter what young talent is pushing the depth chart behind them.

Every coach has players that he loves. It's no different here. I wish him the best wherever he ends up.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone specifically. I'm more disappointed in the staff........that MBS seemed like one of "PJ's guys"........the guys that play no matter what, no matter the score or opponent, no matter what young talent is pushing the depth chart behind them.

Every coach has players that he loves. It's no different here. I wish him the best wherever he ends up.
Definitely agree about guys and playing time, regardless of score or situation. Hope that changes.

The game rarely if ever hinges on one play, but usually in a close game, the team that comes out on the right side of the half-dozen to a dozen key plays usually wins the game. The Brown-Stephens drop/ricochet didn't lose us the game, but fact that it resulted in coming up with no points in the red zone did hurt.

But like others have said, he's been a net positive contributor and has made some nice plays in his three years on the field.
On the contrary...bc of the nature of that game, the game did hang on that play. This is exactly why the style of play we had last 2 yrs is so hard bc you have to play perfect to win (no turnovers, drops, missed tackles). Increasing plays per game decreases significance of each play.

Unfortunately MBS is the whipping boy for the season. But he really, a P5 WR has to make that play. If he makes that catch, the probability of us winning that game increases exponentially.

virtually every player on a D1 FB roster - especially at a P5 conference - was a star in HS. Looked up MBS' numbers, and looks like he played in a run-first offense in HS, too.

The Gophers' coaching staff thought he was worthy of a scholarship offer, and he saw extensive playing time for two seasons.

did things turn out the way he wanted? probably not.

but you could say the same about plenty of players on every D1 roster.

I'm sure he wanted to catch every pass thrown to him, and to help the Gophers win.

I wish him the best and hope things work out for him.

and I wonder how some people on this board would function if placed in a high-pressure atmosphere and told to perform in front of a stadium full of fans. I suspect that some of the critics would be among the first people to sh*t their pants.

I agree. I have been a huge critic on MBS. But no reason to speak poorly of him. I truly believe he let the mental side of things get to him. All those drops in key situations can take a lot out of a person. Wish him the best on his future endeavors.

On the contrary...bc of the nature of that game, the game did hang on that play. This is exactly why the style of play we had last 2 yrs is so hard bc you have to play perfect to win (no turnovers, drops, missed tackles). Increasing plays per game decreases significance of each play.

Unfortunately MBS is the whipping boy for the season. But he really, a P5 WR has to make that play. If he makes that catch, the probability of us winning that game increases exponentially.
Well, obviously if Brown-Stephens catches the TD, the nature of the game changes and the decisions made by both teams after that likely change as well. I was arguing more that it did not dictate the final outcome in and of itself.

wish him well.

makes sense why Fleck was going so hard after more WR's as he knew MBS situation.
I think he goes hard after we regardless of whether MBS leaves. We just didn’t have enough bodies.

Yeah, I am kind of surprised on this one. It makes football sense. I'm guessing PJ and MBS had a difficult conversation omelette about Brockington passing him on the depth chart.
My initial gut instinct thought was I’m not sure I’d be trying to run off a decent depth piece with experience, but I respect PJ if he is he bold enough to free up a spot like that for a piece that could improve the team even more.

Wrong. There were several plays. Purdue was awarded a first down on PI that was not a PI. It would have been 3 instead of 7. Minnesota was mugged and no PI call which meant a short field goal that was missed. Minnesota could have been up 7-6 instead of down 10-0. Minnesota was also tied in the 4th quarter. Sort of like the Vikings on Sunday everything went wrong that possibly could have from offense, defense, special teams, refs to get in that position. Tanner did throw a laser from only 10 yards a way. Had a step where a little less zip and easy six. Yes, the ball should have been caught. Should the defense have stopped Purdue's run game in the 4th, yes.

It more classless than anything. The kid has made plenty of plays for us and would contribute next year. The team is neither better or worse, kinda does not apply.
I admitted it was crass, but we definitely will be either better or worse. Whoever has his scholarship will determine that outcome.

Top Bottom