Mel Kiper was asked about 2021 NFL Draft prospects. He mentioned both Tanner Morgan and Rashod Bateman.

That tasted good. I hope lots of recruits were watching.

That was nice to hear, Gophers getting a lot of national press.

Under any other coaching regime, i would be really down obsessing over the coincidence that we could possibly lose a season just as the Gophers finally start turning the corner on something amazing. My optimism is so high with Fleck though, that you maybe could convince me that he might personally come up with a cure for Covid before anyone else does.

Juniors declaring:

Bateman and (I think) St. Juste are sure things to declare early.
Faalele is, by nature of his size alone, an injury risk. He's gotta declare and get paid.
Morgan i am much higher on an early departure than most - i'll put at 50/50.
Autman-Bell seems to be the popular (or at least my) darkhorse.

Seniors getting drafted:

Coney Durr isn't talked about nearly enough, but is a stud.
Micah Dew-Treadway probably needs to flash a little more? Gets drafted.
Sam Schlueter & Conner Olson have size, can they show a big progression this year? I have less of an eye for lineman than other positions so i have no idea what to expect here.
Seth Green so much talent..but sort of like Marqueis Gray, never really fit a position. Does someone take a swing on him despite limited production and usage? I don't know what you do with him, feels wasted on this roster.

I could see a team grabbing Kieft or Witham as UDFA just because who knows how the hell anyone actually evaluates a TE anyway and we know that they've learned excellent blocking skills, at the very least.

Anyone obvious i missed?

I’m actually a little concerned that Mo might declare, if he has a great year.

That's something recruits like to see. We should make sure they see that

About a 120 Juniors and RS Juniors were in this draft including one from the Gophs. I highly doubt that we are going to have 5 or 6 declare next year. For context, tOSU had 3, Clemson had 3, LSU had 9, Alabama had 6, and I bet if you go and look, most were high 4 or 5 star players coming out of high school.

Batemen is an obvious one if he has a year similar to what TJ had last year. As for the rest....unless they have elite measurables and/or an incredible 2020 season, they will need to use all their eligibility to get drafted in the NFL IMO.

Bateman may never plan another game for the gophers. It’ll be odd to see what a draft would look like without a college season.

Unless the season is completely wiped out (no Spring Football season) he will play again. There is no way the NFL does not work with college football to move the draft to accommodate a season being played. It is to everyone's benefit to have a season and to have the draft after that.

To me, the biggest difference between the Mason up years, the kill up years, and the fleck up year...is that the quarterback play was elite last year. If we have another 10 win season in the next two with Morgan as the starter...put number 2 up in the stadium

About a 120 Juniors and RS Juniors were in this draft including one from the Gophs. I highly doubt that we are going to have 5 or 6 declare next year. For context, tOSU had 3, Clemson had 3, LSU had 9, Alabama had 6, and I bet if you go and look, most were high 4 or 5 star players coming out of high school.

Batemen is an obvious one if he has a year similar to what TJ had last year. As for the rest....unless they have elite measurables and/or an incredible 2020 season, they will need to use all their eligibility to get drafted in the NFL IMO.

Mo’s 2018-19 rushing stats are almost identical to Maryland’s Anthony McFarland’s for those two seasons. McFarland declared after his redshirt sophomore season and got taken in the 4th round by the Steelers. If Mo has another 1,000 yard plus season, and dominates that way he has in the past, he would be draft-worthy as a RS Jr. Probably would stay another year, but I wouldn’t assume he would. Sometimes a player’s stock can drop a bit in his senior year if scouts see lack of further development or the dreaded “regression.”

Last edited:

Mo’s 2018-19 rushing stats are almost identical to Maryland’s Anthony McFarlane’s for those two seasons. McFarlane declared after his redshirt sophomore season and got taken in the 4th round by the Steelers. If Mo has another 1,000 yard plus season, and dominates that way he has in the past, he would be draft-worthy as a RS Jr. Probably would stay another year, but I wouldn’t assume he would. Sometimes a player’s stock can drop a bit in his senior year if scouts see lack of further development or the dreaded “regression.”
McFarland ran a 4.4 at the combine and averaged 6 yards per carry last year.

McFarland ran a 4.4 at the combine and averaged 6 yards per carry last year.

Mo’s two year average is 5.7 yards per carry. Another 1000+ year, running as the No. 1 back (instead of No. 3) could give Mo a career average of nearly 6 yards per carry. He isn’t as fast as McFarland, but he’s incredibly elusive and tough—and he can block. I believe Mo is a better all around back than McFarland and would be draftable as a RS Jr. You disagree; so be it. We’re both just guessing.

To me, the biggest difference between the Mason up years, the kill up years, and the fleck up year...is that the quarterback play was elite last year. If we have another 10 win season in the next two with Morgan as the starter...put number 2 up in the stadium
Weber and Leidballs set team records. Disprove it.

Mo is similar to Edwards-Helaire, but with less athleticism. He’ll get a shot at the NFL, one way or another, assuming he stays healthy.

Mo’s 2018-19 rushing stats are almost identical to Maryland’s Anthony McFarland’s for those two seasons. McFarland declared after his redshirt sophomore season and got taken in the 4th round by the Steelers. If Mo has another 1,000 yard plus season, and dominates that way he has in the past, he would be draft-worthy as a RS Jr. Probably would stay another year, but I wouldn’t assume he would. Sometimes a player’s stock can drop a bit in his senior year if scouts see lack of further development or the dreaded “regression.”
I think Mo might be draftable but I don’t think production is a huge factor when it comes to RBs.

I find that people often overestimate how likely guys are to be drafted. Like Dew Treadway? He has a ways to go I feel. Seemed like Renner was the better player last year and he didn’t get drafted.

I find that people often overestimate how likely guys are to be drafted. Like Dew Treadway? He has a ways to go I feel. Seemed like Renner was the better player last year and he didn’t get drafted.
Steven Richardson wasn't drafted, right? He was better than Renner and Dew-Treadway in college.

Steven Richardson wasn't drafted, right? He was better than Renner and Dew-Treadway in college.

Richardson was also only 5'11". If he was 2" taller he would have been drafted.

Weber and Leidballs set team records. Disprove it.
Team records =\= great quarterback play

I do think they are a bit underrated by some but if you think they played as well as Morgan has played in his season and a half as a starter you’re high

Under any other coaching regime, i would be really down obsessing over the coincidence that we could possibly lose a season just as the Gophers finally start turning the corner on something amazing. My optimism is so high with Fleck though, that you maybe could convince me that he might personally come up with a cure for Covid before anyone else does.

Juniors declaring:

Bateman and (I think) St. Juste are sure things to declare early.
Faalele is, by nature of his size alone, an injury risk. He's gotta declare and get paid.
Morgan i am much higher on an early departure than most - i'll put at 50/50.
Autman-Bell seems to be the popular (or at least my) darkhorse.

Seniors getting drafted:

Coney Durr isn't talked about nearly enough, but is a stud.
Micah Dew-Treadway probably needs to flash a little more? Gets drafted.
Sam Schlueter & Conner Olson have size, can they show a big progression this year? I have less of an eye for lineman than other positions so i have no idea what to expect here.
Seth Green so much talent..but sort of like Marqueis Gray, never really fit a position. Does someone take a swing on him despite limited production and usage? I don't know what you do with him, feels wasted on this roster.

I could see a team grabbing Kieft or Witham as UDFA just because who knows how the hell anyone actually evaluates a TE anyway and we know that they've learned excellent blocking skills, at the very least.

Anyone obvious i missed?

Fleck Derangement Syndrome. That list is an insult to reality. At the very least, no one is sure to enter the draft early without an excellent, injury free season.

Fleck Derangement Syndrome. That list is an insult to reality. At the very least, no one is sure to enter the draft early without an excellent, injury free season.

I agree no one is a sure thing. Not sure why you call it Fleck derangement syndrome though.

I agree no one is a sure thing. Not sure why you call it Fleck derangement syndrome though.

I have loved Fleck as a coach, and program coach, and a fit for the U since a year before he was hired here. Nonetheless, his players do not walk on water.

For one thing, I only mentioned most of these as being in the discussion. I don't know who that's insulting to, but it shouldn't be. The Gophers just had 5 players drafted and 2 more signed to UDFA contracts. How is my suggesting 5 people with about 5 more questionable possibilities, deranged....at all? If you would be so kind as to please elaborate for me. I get that your whole thing is to be mean and pessimistic, but doesn't that ever get old? There's still time to turn it around, my friend; a lot of people are using this time to do some deep inner reflection right now!

"It's never too late to be what you might have been".

For one thing, I only mentioned most of these as being in the discussion. I don't know who that's insulting to, but it shouldn't be. The Gophers just had 5 players drafted and 2 more signed to UDFA contracts. How is my suggesting 5 people with about 5 more questionable possibilities, deranged....at all? If you would be so kind as to please elaborate for me. I get that your whole thing is to be mean and pessimistic, but doesn't that ever get old? There's still time to turn it around, my friend; a lot of people are using this time to do some deep inner reflection right now!

"It's never too late to be what you might have been".

Please come up for air. You made a comment, I made a comment. Spare me the free deep inner understanding of my life and values.

Mo’s two year average is 5.7 yards per carry. Another 1000+ year, running as the No. 1 back (instead of No. 3) could give Mo a career average of nearly 6 yards per carry. He isn’t as fast as McFarland, but he’s incredibly elusive and tough—and he can block. I believe Mo is a better all around back than McFarland and would be draftable as a RS Jr. You disagree; so be it. We’re both just guessing.

In regards to Mo...the biggest issue might not even have to do with Mo. I'm not sure the NFL is ready to trust a RB out of MN coming out as a JR. (Has that ever even happened?) Furthermore, I don't know if RB is important enough in today's NFL right now to see the demand for it to be prudent. I expect big things from him, but he could have a Heisman-type season and still not get drafted until the 3rd round.

I would be enamored to be wrong as long as that plays to his favor. :)

Top Bottom