Media Prediction Thread: Ohio State at Minnesota

Can't imagine many media predictions will be going our way.

KOfSports has Ohio State wining, 45-24.
The Golden Gophers allowed more than 200 yards per game on the ground and if they can't stop the run, Ohio State will be able to do whatever they want in this game.

Here are several predictions posted by the Columbus Dispatch
Dispatch writer Bill Rabinowitz has Ohio State winning 38-24
If this were a midseason game, I'd probably have Ohio State winning by a bigger margin. But quarterback C.J. Stroud is starting his first game and there are enough questions about the Buckeyes' defense that an experienced Minnesota team can flirt with an upset. The Golden Gophers' big offensive line will pose a challenge. In the end, though, Ohio State simply has too much talent for the Gophers.

Dispatch writer Jeff Kaufman has Ohio State wins 42-24
If there is a potential danger in this matchup for Ohio State, it’s the experience of Minnesota, which has the second-most returning production among any roster in the Big Ten. But the Buckeyes are unbeaten in the 14 conference games they’ve played since Ryan Day took over on a full-time basis in 2019, and even with turnover at quarterback, that won’t change Thursday night.

Dispatch writer Rob Oller has Ohio State winning 46-20
Maybe the Golden Gophers would put up more of a fight in freezing November temperatures, but I doubt it. Will first-time starter C.J. Stroud look confused? It would be understandable, given that the redshirt freshman quarterback has never thrown a pass in a college game. But as long as he doesn’t toss four interceptions the Buckeyes will get out of the gate with a convincing bang.

Pioneer Press writer Andy Greder has Ohio State winning 38-21
The Buckeyes receivers are too talented and too plentiful to not hurdle a 14-point spread against a Gopher secondary who lost an NFL pick, couldn’t net a transfer corner and pins hopes others can step up.

Star Tribune writer Randy Johnson has Ohio State winning 31-23
The problem for Minnesota in this matchup is that the Buckeyes, because of their talent advantage, can take several paths to victory while the Gophers might have only one route – hog the ball with the run game to limit Ohio State’s possessions, avoid turnovers and maybe feast on a Buckeyes miscue. Running back Mohamed Ibrahim and a veteran offensive line give the Gophers a puncher’s chance, though the uncertain availability of their best receiver, Chris Autman-Bell, adds another challenge. A revamped Minnesota defense has not faced a receiving corps like the Buckeyes’ group, which has more gazelles than just Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson.

Daniel and Josh, hosts of the College Football Nerds podcast, both picked Ohio State. One prediction was 37-20, the other 42-17. (Predictions at 18:30)

Can't imagine many media predictions will be going our way.
I will be shocked if we get any in our favor. General theme in the picks is that we might give Ohio State a run for their money but in the end won't have enough to beat them.

That seems totally fair to me given where the programs are at right now. Ohio State is in a very small group of elite college teams.

Fansided's College Football section has Ohio State winning 49-21
While Minnesota has an opportunity to bounce back after a rough season, it seems unlikely that the Golden Gophers are able to keep up with the Buckeyes. Minnesota head coach P.J. Fleck has been working hard to build the Golden Gophers into a consistent winner and he’s doing a phenomenal job. But still, there’s a talent differential here that Ohio State likely exposes early on.

StatSalt says the Buckeyes will edge the Gophers
The Golden Gophers have the kind of offense that can frustrate a team like Ohio State as they will play keep away from the Buckeyes with long drives. That gives Ohio State fewer chances to make this a blowout. I also like the Minnesota run game going against the weak spot of the Ohio State defense, which is their LB corps. Ohio State will win this game, but not by more than 10 points.

Last edited:

42, 45, 46, 49 points? Any of those would be disappointing. Serious Ohio St first game of the year on the road against an experience quality opponent with a first time qb is going to put up 49?

42, 45, 46, 49 points? Any of those would be disappointing. Serious Ohio St first game of the year on the road against an experience quality opponent with a first time qb is going to put up 49?
I mean its not THAT crazy. They're Ohio St and we did give up the below point totals last year.

Michigan - 49
Maryland - 45
Iowa - 35
Purdue - 31

Outsiders looking in see a pretty bad defense in 2020 and an Ohio St offense, even with a new QB, has a ton of weapons. Personally I don't think they'll put up 40+ on us but crazier predictions have been made.

Sporting News has Ohio State winning 39-22 (Covers -13.5)
For the second straight season, Minnesota welcomes a Big Ten East blueblood for the opener. This one will be more difficult than Michigan in 2020, and the Buckeyes are 6-1 ATS as a road favorite under Ryan Day the last two seasons. The Gophers hang for a quarter with Tanner Morgan and Mohamed Ibrahim, but new quarterback CJ Stroud settles in and the Buckeyes pull away in the second half.

Bleacher Report predicts Ohio State winning 42-27
It bears mentioning that Minnesota brings back a veteran quarterback in Tanner Morgan and one of the best running backs in the nation in Mohamed Ibrahim.

Ohio State should win. It should do so comfortably. If Ryan Day made the right choice at quarterback with C.J. Stroud, he, Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson and Co. should score at will against a Golden Gophers defense that had a lot of trouble with competent offenses last fall.

But don't be surprised if this Thursday night opener stays close for longer than expected, much like the 2017 game against Indiana in which the Buckeyes trailed in the final 20 minutes before pulling away.

Sports Illustrated has Ohio State winning 37-24
Minnesota running back Mohamed Ibrahim is the nation’s leading returning rusher, and he’s operating behind a full line of returning starters. They’ll try to find creases in a Buckeyes front seven that is talented (as always) but replacing its entire starting linebacker corps and a couple of quality linemen. If the Gophers can control the ball and the clock, maybe they keep it close.

College Football News has Ohio State winning 38-20
Ohio State will hit an early home run, but Minnesota will be efficient and effective enough to hang around. The Buckeye defense, though, will focus everything on Ibrahim, and then things will start to open up after a few stalled Gopher drives.

It won’t be a total wipeout by the Buckeyes, but 1-0 in the Big Ten with a road victory in the bank is fine no matter what.

I mean its not THAT crazy. They're Ohio St and we did give up the below point totals last year.

Michigan - 49
Maryland - 45
Iowa - 35
Purdue - 31

Outsiders looking in see a pretty bad defense in 2020 and an Ohio St offense, even with a new QB, has a ton of weapons. Personally I don't think they'll put up 40+ on us but crazier predictions have been made.

Gophers goal should be to keep OSU under 10 points a quarter.
If they do that it's beating expectations.

ESPN Football Power Index chimes in:

ESPN FPI Projection: 87.7% chance to win

One of the more dangerous games for a preseason Playoff contender to open the 2021 campaign, the Buckeyes battle upset-minded Minnesota on Sept. 2 at 8 p.m. on the road, an opportunity for the Golden Gophers to seize the national spotlight against a team most will not be picking them to beat. ESPN's FPI is not giving P.J. Fleck's team much of a chance either against a deeper, more talented opponent. Tanner Morgan is back for Year 3 as Minnesota's starting quarterback and he has won big games before. The Golden Gophers are hoping to bounce back from last year's disappointing finish.

Go Gophers!!

seems reasonable.

BuckeyesNow staff chimes in:

Brendan Gulick: Ohio State 41, Minnesota 20
Minnesota has added three grad transfers to try and help shore up a really bad run defense last year. But I think they're going to struggle against one of Ohio State's biggest offensive lines in recent memory. Meanwhile, Minnesota's got the most experienced offensive line in the country returning this year and a solid rushing attack from Mohamed Ibrahim. I think offensive line play will be very interesting to watch tomorrow night.

All that said - the Buckeyes have too much star power on offense for Minnesota, which has an unproven secondary to say the least. I think the Ohio State wins comfortably on the road and several true freshmen make meaningful impacts in their Buckeye debuts.

Andrew Lind: Ohio State 49, Minnesota 21
The Buckeye are obviously breaking in a new starting quarterback in C.J. Stroud, but there won’t really be any pressure on him given the weapons around him. I will certainly be interested in seeing how he relays signals to his teammates and handles any adversity in a road environment, but as head coach Ryan Day said earlier this week, there’s nothing he’ll see in the game that he didn’t already have thrown at him in practice.

On the other side of the ball, Minnesota’s offensive game plan won’t exactly challenge Ohio State’s secondary, the unit under the most scrutiny heading into the season. Expect the Buckeyes to keep the Gophers running game in-check and coast through the second half.

Adam Prescott: Ohio State 41, Minnesota 27
There isn’t a ton of recent sample size between these schools, having only met three times over the last decade. Regardless of C.J. Stroud making his first college start, the Buckeye offense has so much firepower to continue posting big numbers. But I have a feeling that Minnesota, rocking alternate black uniforms in front of a reinvigorated home crowd, will row that boat just enough behind veteran QB Tanner Morgan to keep both the spread (13.5) and total (65.5) interesting down the stretch.

Eddie Marotta: Ohio State 41, Minnesota 24
College Football is back, and so are the Buckeyes! OSU will be looking to find their identity early in the season after losing Justin Fields and many other key contributors to the NFL Draft this summer. The Buckeyes will give up a few early scores as they look to knock off the offseason rust, but will anchor down as the game progresses and their offense finds its groove.

Ryan Day has the Buckeyes ready to go in this one, and the weapons OSU returned on the offensive side of the ball (namely Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson, Jeremy Ruckert, and Master Teague III) gives Ohio State more than enough firepower to hold off the Gophers as they kick off their 2021 campaign. Ohio State pulls away in this game, and starts the season the way everyone wants to: 1-0.

Caleb Spinner: Ohio State 49, Minnesota 10
Ohio State’s first-in-the-conference offense lost some big pieces to the draft. However the depth of the program has ensured there will be no shortage of explosive options on the field this year.
CJ Stroud will command the offense under center after earning the endorsement of Coach Ryan Day, and will be throwing to two familiar targets in Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson, both of whom tallied over 700 yards last season (in an eight-game year, mind you). Pair all that with Master Teague III in the backfield and a rock-solid defense boasting returners like Sevyn Banks and Haskell Garrett, and you have an Ohio State team with the means to pick up right where they left off at the end of last season.

Minnesota has the potential to strike early with Tanner Morgan, a quarterback who’s thrown for over 6,000 yards and 46 touchdowns in his three seasons with Minnesota, but I see the Buckeye defense catching onto his tricks before long and holding the Golden Gophers score to no more than ten.

Go Gophers!!

Land Grant Holy Land chimes in:

Summary

The Buckeyes are favored by 14 over the Gophers with 64.5 points on the over/under , which feels perfectly reasonable. With a new quarterback for Ohio State and the general sloppiness that naturally plagues season openers, expect a slower start for Ohio State than what we saw, say, in January against Clemson.

But with veteran receivers for Ohio State and a Big Ten-best back for Minnesota, expect a high-scoring affair in Minneapolis Thursday as defenses sprint to keep up.

On the Minnesota sideline, Fleck’s got a little extra motivation in this matchup, as Ohio State was the first stop on his coaching journey. Fleck spent the 2006 season as a graduate assistant with the Buckeyes under Jim Tressel before moving onto his alma mater, Northern Illinois.

Of course, Ohio State has a different type of motivation on the line — the kind that comes when every game matters, and one false step knocks dreams off a postseason into a nightmare scenario.

On the field, we really don’t know what to expect. We have no data points for the 2021 season with the players on either side. Sure, Minnesota returns its quarterback and running back, but other personnel changed. Ohio State has about half its starters back, but with questions outstanding for whole position groups. While we can generally surmise that Ohio State on the whole has a better squad, we don’t actually know if that is true, and by what margin. And that’s kind of fun.

But what’s even more fun is having Ohio State football back. Happy kickoff, everyone.

LGHL Prediction: Ohio State 41, Minnesota 28

Go Gophers!!

STrib's Randy Johnson chimes in:

Ohio State enters this game as a 14-point favorite. How do you see it playing out?

Johnson:
I think the Gophers will keep it close for most of the game, but I see Ohio State just having too much talent in the end. Buckeyes 30, Gophers 23

Go Gophers!!

Athlon chimes in:

Final Analysis​

A night game on the road with an inexperienced quarterback is not the way Ryan Day would have preferred to begin the 2021 season. Ohio State may have to play more conservatively than usual in the season opener to help Stroud, and this game should be a good building block for the team. Big Ten West road games have been devastatingly bad for Ohio State over the past few seasons (at Iowa in 2017, at Purdue in 2018), but those games have usually come later in the season. Ohio State will not overlook Minnesota, and the superior depth and speed the Buckeyes possess will help them close things out in the fourth quarter for their first win of the 2021 season.

Prediction: Ohio State 37, Minnesota 20​

Go Gophers!!

Sports Illustrated has released two more predictions.
Brendan Gulick: Ohio State 41, Minnesota 20
Minnesota's got the most experienced offensive line in the country returning this year and a solid rushing attack from Mohamed Ibrahim. I think offensive line play will be very interesting to watch tomorrow night.

All that said - the Buckeyes have too much star power on offense for Minnesota, which has an unproven secondary to say the least. I think the Ohio State wins comfortably on the road and several true freshmen make meaningful impacts in their Buckeye debuts.

Andrew Lind: Ohio State 49, Minnesota 21
The Buckeye are obviously breaking in a new starting quarterback in C.J. Stroud, but there won’t really be any pressure on him given the weapons around him. I will certainly be interested in seeing how he relays signals to his teammates and handles any adversity in a road environment, but as head coach Ryan Day said earlier this week, there’s nothing he’ll see in the game that he didn’t already have thrown at him in practice.

USA Today has a prediction out, taking Ohio State, 35-23
Buckeyes have won 11 straight against the Gophers and haven't lost a season-opener since 1999 against Miami...

At the Daily Gopher, the following predictions have been made.
GoAUpher, Ohio State wins 42-21: I’d love to be present for an upset here, but there’s no way I’m predicting that. Ohio State is a more talented team with a strong coaching staff. That doesn’t mean they can’t be beat, it just means it’s a lot more likely that Minnesota loses this one in fairly convincing fashion.

gopherguy05, Ohio State wins 38-21: The Buckeyes offense is just too good and the Gopher defense just has too many question marks yet. The Gophers put up a good fight, but this one is really never in doubt.

HipsterGopher, Ohio State wins 31-28: I think the game will be reasonably close. Although I’m not picking the Gophers, I’m calling the Buckeyes have to eventually vacate this victory. Just like after the 2010 matchup.

mowe0018, Ohio State wins 38-26: A large majority of the ingredients that usually portend a ‘massive’ upset in college football will be present in Minneapolis on Thursday night. The home underdog, the consistency on the offensive side of the ball, a desire to run and control the clock, a new opposing quarterback, first game back from a weird year...

Unfortunately, Ohio State is stacked with talent at all positions and is generally well coached. And the Gophers’ defense would seem to be like a lamb being led to the slaughter for the sake of getting tape for future use for the rest of the season. However, I do believe there will be a back-door covering of the spread and that the Gophers’ offense will have its moments of competency despite playing an extremely talented Buckeye defense.

zipsofakron, Minnesota wins 28-27: Look, this is a loss 9 out of every ten times Minnesota faces OSU. but this is essentially a sold out home game in front of fans who haven’t seen live football in two years, with a positive offseason narrative getting everyone geared up. It’s going to be wild.

Don’t ignore the homefield advantage here. And let’s not forget that it’s the first game of the season. Literally anything can happen and in these cases I’m willing to at least consider that veteran players will have less rust to shake off. Advantage Gophers? The locker room is locked in.

KOfSports has Ohio State wining, 45-24.
The Golden Gophers allowed more than 200 yards per game on the ground and if they can't stop the run, Ohio State will be able to do whatever they want in this game.

Here are several predictions posted by the Columbus Dispatch
Dispatch writer Bill Rabinowitz has Ohio State winning 38-24
If this were a midseason game, I'd probably have Ohio State winning by a bigger margin. But quarterback C.J. Stroud is starting his first game and there are enough questions about the Buckeyes' defense that an experienced Minnesota team can flirt with an upset. The Golden Gophers' big offensive line will pose a challenge. In the end, though, Ohio State simply has too much talent for the Gophers.

Dispatch writer Jeff Kaufman has Ohio State wins 42-24
If there is a potential danger in this matchup for Ohio State, it’s the experience of Minnesota, which has the second-most returning production among any roster in the Big Ten. But the Buckeyes are unbeaten in the 14 conference games they’ve played since Ryan Day took over on a full-time basis in 2019, and even with turnover at quarterback, that won’t change Thursday night.

Dispatch writer Rob Oller has Ohio State winning 46-20
Maybe the Golden Gophers would put up more of a fight in freezing November temperatures, but I doubt it. Will first-time starter C.J. Stroud look confused? It would be understandable, given that the redshirt freshman quarterback has never thrown a pass in a college game. But as long as he doesn’t toss four interceptions the Buckeyes will get out of the gate with a convincing bang.

Pioneer Press writer Andy Greder has Ohio State winning 38-21
The Buckeyes receivers are too talented and too plentiful to not hurdle a 14-point spread against a Gopher secondary who lost an NFL pick, couldn’t net a transfer corner and pins hopes others can step up.

Star Tribune writer Randy Johnson has Ohio State winning 31-23
The problem for Minnesota in this matchup is that the Buckeyes, because of their talent advantage, can take several paths to victory while the Gophers might have only one route – hog the ball with the run game to limit Ohio State’s possessions, avoid turnovers and maybe feast on a Buckeyes miscue. Running back Mohamed Ibrahim and a veteran offensive line give the Gophers a puncher’s chance, though the uncertain availability of their best receiver, Chris Autman-Bell, adds another challenge. A revamped Minnesota defense has not faced a receiving corps like the Buckeyes’ group, which has more gazelles than just Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson.

Daniel and Josh, hosts of the College Football Nerds podcast, both picked Ohio State. One prediction was 37-20, the other 42-17. (Predictions at 18:30)
This pretty much matches the tOSU fan predictions at Eleven Warriors fan site.

There's a couple of intrepid Buckeyes who go out on the limb saying it will be close. No derision thrown at them...and most say they believe the kid QB is going to show himself as the real deal. I think getting into his head will be a huge factor in any Gophers W.

Not so much lack of respect for Gophers offense, more just straight dismissal of any real Gophers defensive ability to stop them.

We'll see...

Last edited:

This pretty much matches the tOSU fan predictions at Eleven Warriors fan site.

There's a couple of intrepid Buckeyes who go out on the limb saying it will be close. No derision thrown at them...and most say they believe the kid QB is going to show himself as the real deal. I think getting into his head will be a huge factor in any Gophers W.

Not so much lack of respect for Gophers offense, more just straight dismissal of any real Gophers defensive abiity to stop them.

We'll see...
I really think the returning defense is influencing the high Ohio State score predictions. It's easy to see this as a big chance for the Buckeyes to build up a big lead if they're simply looking at the game stats from last season.

From what I remember the predictions in 2015 for the TCU game had the Horned Frogs winning, but acknowledged they probably would have a tougher time scoring against the Minnesota defense, citing the return of Briean Boddy-Calhoun, Eric Murray, De'Vondre Campbell and Theiren Cockran.

If we were returning the same level of talent on defense that we are on offense this season, the predictions would probably look a lot closer.

Randy chimes in:

The Gophers will win if …

They control the ball and the clock with their running game, protect the football and show vast improvement on special teams.

The Buckeyes will win if …

Their offensive line keeps pressure off Stroud, the run game opens things up for the wideouts and they don't give the Gophers hope by coughing up the ball.

Prediction

Ohio State 30, Gophers 23

Go Gophers!!

I love threads like this. All constructive and sapient comments. All lasered in on the actual topic. Thanks!
You just jinxed things! I expect a steady diet of Ben Johnson can't keep top in-state recruits from leaving banter for a page or two now!

Last edited:

I'll go ahead and say 45-21 Ohio State.

And I'll be more than happy to eat crow if the Gophers somehow pull off the upset.

Gophers have a history of starting slow and struggling in early season games, against non-con foes. Ohio State is not the best choice for an opener. If the Gophers make a game of it, the public and pollsters will remember, but hard to see a win here.

Top Bottom