Media Prediction Thread: Ohio State at Minnesota

247 chimes in:

Game prediction: Ohio State 34, Minnesota 14

The word: Can P.J. Fleck and Minnesota capture college football's spotlight with a mega upset win during opening weekend? Unlikely. Buckeyes fans shouldn't be worried about this one. Ohio State returns arguably the most talented wide receiver group in the country, will be strong in the trenches on both sides of the football and likes how the running back room is shaping up even with the loss of Trey Sermon thanks to an elite recruiting class. It will be interesting to see how Ohio State's quarterback competition shakes out during fall camp and which one of those guys steps up and separates himself from the rest.

Go Gophers!!

247 chimes in:

The word: Can P.J. Fleck and Minnesota capture college football's spotlight with a mega upset win during opening weekend? Unlikely. Buckeyes fans shouldn't be worried about this one. Ohio State returns arguably the most talented wide receiver group in the country, will be strong in the trenches on both sides of the football and likes how the running back room is shaping up even with the loss of Trey Sermon thanks to an elite recruiting class. It will be interesting to see how Ohio State's quarterback competition shakes out during fall camp and which one of those guys steps up and separates himself from the rest.

Go Gophers!!
Even though this an entirely reasonable take, I am going to call them a dink.

Even though this an entirely reasonable take, I am going to call them a dink.
Fair....personally though I want to keep seeing all the predictions calling for a 20 point blowout. Will make the upset even more special when it happens because we were huge underdogs :)

Plus it gives something for Fleck and the staff to dangle in front of the players to let them know that nobody outside of the program is giving them a shot to win this one. The whole us against the world mentality.

If you watched the "Inside Penn State" production that popped up a couple of months ago, both the Gophers AND the atmosphere surprised the Nittanies. They were pretty much off balance the entire first half but of course did start to put it together in the second half and especially at the end.

That would be a teaching tool in my book for this game. Coaches and players can only improve their best...fans though could tip the balance along the way.

Or so one can hope...

I’m less optimistic about this game just because they have two first-round WRs and I think DB is the weakest part of our team. Hopefully their new QB has some jitters.

Friday, September 3, 2021
Minneapolis, MN

In what some Ohio State message board posters described as “a giant mule kick to the groin”, the Minnesota Gophers upset the Buckeyes last night, 38-34, in a delirious TCF Bank Stadium.

“This is what I got vaccinated for!” screamed one man as he stormed the field along with thousands of other maroon-and-gold fans, hugging and kissing more than a few startled onlookers.

Gopher quarterback Tanner Morgan was ruthless in his efficiency, completing 23 of 29 passes for 302 yards and two touchdowns, both of them to veteran wideout Chris Autman-Bell.

The Ohio State defense, reeling from the loss of graduations and early entrants into the NFL draft, simply had no answer for Morgan and running back Mo Ibrahim, who kicked off his Heisman candidacy with 155 yards and three touchdowns.

Buckeye coach Ryan Day could do nothing but shake his head in sadness and confusion as redshirt freshman quarterback C.J. Stroud looked lost in his first career start. He was under relentless pressure all game from the Gopher defensive line, particularly end Boye Mafe, who registered two sacks, and tackle De’Angelo Carter, who could be seen sitting atop the goalposts after the game, mugging for the band.

When asked for comment as he walked off the field, Buckeye offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson muttered, “Stroud just sucks so bad. I wonder where Tate Martell is and if he has any eligibility left?”

It didn’t help the Ohio State cause when All-American receiver Chris Olave, clearly frustrated by the smothering coverage of Gopher cornerback Coney Durr, took a swing at Durr early in the third quarter and was ejected. To that point, Durr had allowed Olave just one catch for seven yards, which he promptly fumbled.

“We were probably looking ahead to Oregon a little bit,” admitted Day. Just a few yards away, Gopher tight end Ko Kieft said, “We considered this more of a tune-up for Miami of Ohio,” and flexed for dozens of admirers.

In a touching moment as players headed for the locker room and fans headed for the exits, P.J. Fleck and new Gopher basketball coach Craig Smith rubbed each other’s bald heads in celebration and vowed to repeat the act for good luck before future games.
Did the comment section with this article mention Fleck's still relying on Claeys recruits?

Typical Ohio State road victory against a very capable, fired-up opponent: Play punishing game that might stay close until the 4th Q, at which point the thoroughbreds pull away from the tired opponents. I don’t base our chances on our keeping it close in the first 35-45 minutes. The real Ohio State strength and obscene depth will assert itself in the 4th Q. If the Gophers can match the 4th Q surge—finish with power—we have a chance. If not, Ohio State piles up points for the CFP folks.

Somebody noted that Ohio State will test all phases of our game. If our kicking game is as anemic and untrustworthy as it was last year, we really have no hope against Ohio State. The field position battle will be horrible, and any lost FG or PAT points will haunt us at the end. I pray the kicking game is at least back to B1G average, because I think our offense will be up to the task, and our defense might be much improved as well. Hate to play a great game and then lose because we leave FG points on the field, or because our punting game gives Ohio State way too many short fields.

Despite all this, I somehow am approaching this game with optimism. 🤷🏼‍♂️

The recipe to success here is very similar to the recipe vs Penn State (and I think this is pretty much what happened whenever OSU lost a conference game in the past few years, save for maybe a couple). Build as much of a lead as possible early, and then do everything you can to maintain that buffer.

If we are tied or trailing at the beginning of the 4th, it's almost guaranteed OSU wins. If we somehow have a lead going into the 4th, it will be tough but we may be able to hold onto it.

Games like this will be won in the trenches. If our d.l. is a deep as we hope it is and they can stay fresh we can hang.. I'm more optimistic... The team that wins will win by 4 or less.. very very excited for this season.

The recipe to success here is very similar to the recipe vs Penn State (and I think this is pretty much what happened whenever OSU lost a conference game in the past few years, save for maybe a couple). Build as much of a lead as possible early, and then do everything you can to maintain that buffer.

If we are tied or trailing at the beginning of the 4th, it's almost guaranteed OSU wins. If we somehow have a lead going into the 4th, it will be tough but we may be able to hold onto it.
Just for emphasis:

In 2017, Iowa entered the 4th quarter with a 21 point lead. OSU only scored 7 points in the 4th, so even if Iowa had been scoreless they would have won the game.

In 2018, Purdue entered the 4th quarter with a 15 point lead. OSU scored 14 in the 4th, so again Purdue would have won even if they had been scoreless.

247 chimes in:

Go Gophers!!
"The word" is a dink.

We will know a lot about our team after this game. Biggest questions I have.

1.) Which Morgan shows up? - 2019 (midseason form) or 2019 early and most of 2020 (eyes one receiver and accuracy issues, especially in long ball)
2.) Can any of our receivers create noticeable separation?
3.) Will our defense come out competitive against the run? (will our DT show improvement, especially against talent OL talent, will our linebackers fill the gaps and have enough athleticism to overcome mistakes.)
4.) Will our kicking game be Big Ten worthy? (I would take solid Div 1 worthy at this point)

Ohio State will put stress on the entire team. I do think MN can surprise people in this game. With so much returning offensive and defensive talent there are reasons to think we can be successful against a OSU team starting a new QB.
I really think a big part of it will be how has Mike Sanford been able to get these guys comfortable with his offense, and how good is his offense? How good of a play caller is he? Can he get the plays in on time and can he get in a rhythm. I would be a lot more confident if KC was still our OC.

Last edited:

love to see us keep within 21
I’m more confident in our defense than our offense. If our offense plays well we will be within 21. The OSU QB is the wildcard, he could be all world for all we know, let’s hope not.

I love threads like this. All constructive and sapient comments. All lasered in on the actual topic. Thanks!

If you watched the "Inside Penn State" production that popped up a couple of months ago, both the Gophers AND the atmosphere surprised the Nittanies. They were pretty much off balance the entire first half but of course did start to put it together in the second half and especially at the end.

That would be a teaching tool in my book for this game. Coaches and players can only improve their best...fans though could tip the balance along the way.

Or so one can hope...
Really good episode, well produced, basically like an episode of Hard Knocks.

I came away really impressed with Franklin and his program. Granted, he and the school probably had veto power on what made the final cut.

I know they had a really weird year last year, and people were calling for his head. Will be interesting to see if/how much they bounce back. Especially with what IU did and will be trying to maintain that, Rutgers trying to make a move out of the cellar with Schiano, Mich St trying to build back with Tucker, and Maryland getting high recruits still so wonder if they'll put it together.

Very tough division.

Games like this will be won in the trenches. If our d.l. is a deep as we hope it is and they can stay fresh we can hang.. I'm more optimistic... The team that wins will win by 4 or less.. very very excited for this season.
That's pretty much true in all games.

I think an important factor is keeping OSU away from big plays. It's obvious they are more talented thus more capable of breaking a long one or making a huge play on D.

That's pretty much true in all games.

I think an important factor is keeping OSU away from big plays. It's obvious they are more talented thus more capable of breaking a long one or making a huge play on D.
If you recall the Kill Era game at TCF it was exactly the big plays that kept them mostly in control. Gophers were up for that one, but defensive breakdowns just made scoring easy for tOSU in the end.

Dilly Bar Dan should be an Honorary Team Captain for this one.

Games like this are very often not won in the trenches. Which is why Alabama switched a spread offense and why Wisconsin can’t win a national title

the difference in two close teams is whose big plays are 20 yard gains and whose big plays are 40 yard touchdowns

Games like this are very often not won in the trenches. Which is why Alabama switched a spread offense and why Wisconsin can’t win a national title

the difference in two close teams is whose big plays are 20 yard gains and whose big plays are 40 yard touchdowns
Spread offenses don't make OL/DL play any less important.

Sec and B1G football are 2 totally different games. I live in SEC country

I actually think the SEC major programs more often run pro style offenses than the shotgun everything/chuck n duck that is popular at other southern programs.

It's the correct type of offense to run, in my preference.

I’m more confident in our defense than our offense. If our offense plays well we will be within 21. The OSU QB is the wildcard, he could be all world for all we know, let’s hope not.
The running game should be exceptional this year. OL (especially with Dunlap and Big Dan back) will be the best it's been in a long time. Mo is perfectly matched for our road grating OL. I am less sold on the passing game. When the passing game was really humming, it was due to the deep threat that Bateman and Johnson provided that opened up the option/play action/middle of the field slant patterns work. We were not able to pass deep last year, which really hampered the short to medium passing game. Has it ever been established if Morgan was injured last year? His deep ball was so much worse in 2020 than 2019. One of the young receivers are going to have to break out as a deep threat to get the passing game back to where it was.

ESPN Football Power Index chimes in:

ESPN FPI Projection: 87.7% chance to win

One of the more dangerous games for a preseason Playoff contender to open the 2021 campaign, the Buckeyes battle upset-minded Minnesota on Sept. 2 at 8 p.m. on the road, an opportunity for the Golden Gophers to seize the national spotlight against a team most will not be picking them to beat. ESPN's FPI is not giving P.J. Fleck's team much of a chance either against a deeper, more talented opponent. Tanner Morgan is back for Year 3 as Minnesota's starting quarterback and he has won big games before. The Golden Gophers are hoping to bounce back from last year's disappointing finish.

Go Gophers!!

Field position battle could determine the game. Special teams are our Achilles Heel. Our punting game must improve dramatically. If on non-scoring drives, our punting game gives tOSU short fields, we’re toast—even with a much improved defense. And if we have to start every offensive drive at our own 25 or worse, even our very experienced offense will sputter against a team as talented as tOSU.

ESPN Football Power Index chimes in:

ESPN FPI Projection: 87.7% chance to win

One of the more dangerous games for a preseason Playoff contender to open the 2021 campaign, the Buckeyes battle upset-minded Minnesota on Sept. 2 at 8 p.m. on the road, an opportunity for the Golden Gophers to seize the national spotlight against a team most will not be picking them to beat. ESPN's FPI is not giving P.J. Fleck's team much of a chance either against a deeper, more talented opponent. Tanner Morgan is back for Year 3 as Minnesota's starting quarterback and he has won big games before. The Golden Gophers are hoping to bounce back from last year's disappointing finish.

Go Gophers!!
So you’re sayin’ there’s a chance!

Buckeyes Wire (USA Today) not surprisingly goes with Ohio State, 45-24.
That said, I just don’t think Minnesota has the horses to hang with the Buckeyes. I do believe it will be closer than the experts think at halftime, but Ohio State pulls away in the second half to set up a Noon showdown with Oregon the following week.

OddShark has the Buckeyes winning with a predicted score of 36-17.

Big On Sports has Ohio State winning the game, but for Minnesota to still play well.
With an experienced roster the Gophers might sneak up on a few teams this season. And they get the Buckeyes right out of the chute which could be an advantage. The QB situation is far from settled in Columbus, but handing the ball off isn’t asking a lot of Stroud. Both teams will try to run the football behind strong offensive lines, and the Gophers might have an edge in the passing game. That won’t win the game, but it will allow them to stay within the spread.

Dinkeyes Wire and DinkShark are getting faceplanted.

Top Bottom