McGary committing to Michigan and major concerns over Gophers recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

EG#9

Reaction score
With McGary committing to Michigan today, I thought I would go over to Rivals and check out the recruiting classes of our competition for 2012. John Beilien is briging in the type of classes (or even better) than what we expected from Tubby as he has 2 four star kids and a 5 star kid locked up for 2012. Looking through the conference, the only teams without a 4 star recruit coming in 2012 are Penn State, Nebraska, Minnesota, and Illinois. That is not the company we want to be keeping and our current position of hoping for a fringe top 100 guy to commit is magnified by the fact that arguably our two best players will be moving on after this year. We really can't afford to add any more projects to this roster and need an immediate impact player or two, or 2012 could get ugly.

Immediate impact freshman are a rarity at Minnesota and besides, Tubby has proven at Minnesota (and a little at Kentucky) that he simply is not a top-level recruiter. He is, however, a great coach and will continue to take this program in the right direction with his players at the helm.

I think it's tough to argue that Tubby is taking the program in the right direction right now. Is the 2011 team more or less talented than the team we started 2010 with? Was the 2010 team more or less talented than the team we started 2009 with? We've lost guys like Nolen, Hoffarber, Westbrook to graduation and guys like White, Carter, Iverson, Cobbs, Joseph to transfers during that time period. What type of talent has been brought in to replace those guys? I certainly expect Tubby to land upper half of the conference talent and Beilien is surprisingly doing that at Michigan.

Immediate impact freshman are a rarity at Minnesota and besides, Tubby has proven at Minnesota (and a little at Kentucky) that he simply is not a top-level recruiter. He is, however, a great coach and will continue to take this program in the right direction with his players at the helm.

I don't know about the coming class but this last one looks real good to me. Hollins and Coleman are ready to play major roles and have a chance to have great careers here. We really have not had a decent chance to see Welch yet,but if he's good we have a very nice class. The problem Tubby is navigating through right now is some pretty weak Minnesota high school classes since the Williams/ White class. I'm sure it's tough to get big timers from outside of Minnesota, Tubby name or not. We need some tourney runs to change that. There's talent here to do it if Tubby can put it together. This is a very important year for the program.

In that article Marcus says we have two scholarships left not one? Is that a mistake or are we down one player this year?

zambam said:
In that article Marcus says we have two scholarships left not one? Is that a mistake or are we down one player this year?

Most are assuming Rodney will go pro.

zambam said:
I will only make that assumption if he shows he can actually play, but I get what you're saying.

I don't think it has anything to do with his play. I think many just assume regardless of what type of season he has, he leaves at the end of the year.

I am starting to think Tubby would rather recruit lesser known or lesser hyped talent because if you win with percieved lesser talent everyone says what a great coaching job it was, instead of giving the players all the credit. In theory, less attitude/ego problems from 2 and 3 star players also and for an old school tough minded coach that is easier to manage and control.

I am starting to think Tubby would rather recruit lesser known or lesser hyped talent because if you win with percieved lesser talent everyone says what a great coaching job it was, instead of giving the players all the credit. In theory, less attitude/ego problems from 2 and 3 star players also and for an old school tough minded coach that is easier to manage and control.

You must have missed his talk in KY last month. He said that he would love to have 5-star players in his roster. He said that those types of players make coaches look good. Therefore, your assumption is not correct. Try again.

Go Gophers

Most are assuming Rodney will go pro.

Go pro in what?

This reminds of those NCAA commercials where they say student-athletes go pro......in something other than sports.

Get your degree Rodney.....

Keep telling yourself that so you can sleep at night. I guess standards have dipped pretty low around here if not winning an NCAA game in his tenure qualifies him for moving in the right direction. I think his tenure can be considered a joke for the hype he brought to the program. He hasn't lived up to it at all.

Keep telling yourself that so you can sleep at night. I guess standards have dipped pretty low around here if not winning an NCAA game in his tenure qualifies him for moving in the right direction. I think his tenure can be considered a joke for the hype he brought to the program. He hasn't lived up to it at all.

Standards and expectations from the hole faithful have fallen off the cliff. When Tubby arrived, hallowed hole prognosticators were predicting ncaa tourney wins in a few years.

Tubby has won exactly the same # of tourney games the previous coach did. The Tubby.

Results are what matters. Thus far, the results have been dismal, at best. For millions of $$.......

Belein v. Tubby

Major difference between Tubby and Belein is a willingness to change direction when it is necessary. Belein's first two years were disasters and he had the courage to make the changes he needed to on his coaching staff. At least a couple of assistants were sent packing for other opportunities and he hired guys that he may not have known well, but had contacts in the Michigan recruiting world. Not surprisingly, Michigan's recruiting has picked up considerably in the last two years. It is clear that our coaching staff does not have a top flight recruiter on it and needs one.

I am all in favor of getting quality kids who will not be high maintenance and I understand the value of character the staff is looking for and endorse it. I just wish the talent level would come with the character. The right recruiting guy could make it happen. Along with the others, I agree that this is a huge year for the program. The team must exceed the casual fan's expectations.

I don't agree with the assertion that Tubby is seeking lower level recruits to make his coaching look better. He is putting a high priority on character, which may leave some high level recruits off the list, though.

Go pro in what?

This reminds of those NCAA commercials where they say student-athletes go pro......in something other than sports.

Get your degree Rodney.....

Rodney may not play in the NBA for very long (or ever), but I absolutely guarantee, 100%, that he will be playing pro basketball somewhere. I will bet any amount of money you desire, big mouth.

Holy Man said:
Major difference between Tubby and Belein is a willingness to change direction when it is necessary. Belein's first two years were disasters and he had the courage to make the changes he needed to on his coaching staff. At least a couple of assistants were sent packing for other opportunities and he hired guys that he may not have known well, but had contacts in the Michigan recruiting world. Not surprisingly, Michigan's recruiting has picked up considerably in the last two years. It is clear that our coaching staff does not have a top flight recruiter on it and needs one.

I am all in favor of getting quality kids who will not be high maintenance and I understand the value of character the staff is looking for and endorse it. I just wish the talent level would come with the character. The right recruiting guy could make it happen. Along with the others, I agree that this is a huge year for the program. The team must exceed the casual fan's expectations.

I don't agree with the assertion that Tubby is seeking lower level recruits to make his coaching look better. He is putting a high priority on character, which may leave some high level recruits off the list, though.

Tried to hire jimmy Williams.

Illinois only has one scholarship available for 2012. They will be signing an in-state point guard that isn't nationally acclaimed. Though I'm not thrilled with the pick up, the Illini do have two four-star guards committed in the 2013 class.

With McGary committing to Michigan today, I thought I would go over to Rivals and check out the recruiting classes of our competition for 2012. John Beilien is briging in the type of classes (or even better) than what we expected from Tubby as he has 2 four star kids and a 5 star kid locked up for 2012. Looking through the conference, the only teams without a 4 star recruit coming in 2012 are Penn State, Nebraska, Minnesota, and Illinois. That is not the company we want to be keeping and our current position of hoping for a fringe top 100 guy to commit is magnified by the fact that arguably our two best players will be moving on after this year. We really can't afford to add any more projects to this roster and need an immediate impact player or two, or 2012 could get ugly.

Last years results are impacting recruiting this year, there is no doubt about that, combine that with the relatively small number of in state recruits available and the results are predictable, start the year of with some success and that could change. A repeat of last year and recruiting is going to get tough.

Rodney may not play in the NBA for very long (or ever), but I absolutely guarantee, 100%, that he will be playing pro basketball somewhere. I will bet any amount of money you desire, big mouth.

Harlem Globetrotters? Perfect fit. He can run around and dunk and show off all of this "athleticism" we keep hearing about.

Harlem Globetrotters? Perfect fit. He can run around and dunk and show off all of this "athleticism" we keep hearing about.

So you admit that you were full of sh*t with your last post?

And why is "athleticism" in quotes? Do you deny that he is a world-class athlete?

Have you seen the guy run and jump? Definitely an athlete.

That's the definition of a world class athlete?

Everyone has different criteria for what the word "athlete" means, but generally in basketball terms that is exactly what it means. When you hear a basketball commentator say someone is athletic they're almost always talking about leaping ability. I'm surprised you haven't caught on to that yet. And in those terms, Rodney is without a doubt a world class athlete.

P.S. Get over yourself.

That's the definition of a world class athlete?

This really is not that hard. The combination of his height and leaping ability in the same person is extremely rare. There is no doubt that he would be among the best in the world if he had taken up high jumping and learned technique from a young age. Do you disagree?

This really is not that hard. The combination of his height and leaping ability in the same person is extremely rare. There is no doubt that he would be among the best in the world if he had taken up high jumping and learned technique from a young age. Do you disagree?

Now the talk is about high jumping? This is pathetic.

How about talking about how Tubby and Co have developed the kid? Or not developed? What his own personal development plan is/has been?

Who cares about "world class" if it doesnt translate into success on the court?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom