Mbakwe to enter Pre-Trial lntervention program, case eventually dropped

Never make assumptions about this program. Obviously the U has never recovered from the Haskins scandal. Maturi wants the U to appear ethical way more than he wants to win. It would not surprise me if Maturi considers the resolution of this case to be proof that Trevor is unfit to represent the U, kicks him off the team and thus displays what an ethical institution the U has become. I hope not.

This would not shock me in the least. If it happens, I too may simply have to take a break from this until Maturi is shown the door. The leniency he has shown to some of the football players contrasted with the iron fist he's had on the basketball program is puzzling at best. One would certainly hope he considers what Trevor's been through punishment enough, if one was even warranted at all.

Well said DWG. The hell if I would risk a jury trial and even if you win, the jury doesn't decide your "innocent" - only "not guilty"

Actually

......my assumption is that Mbakwe or his attorney have spoken prior with Tubby or Maturi and told

Never make assumptions about this program. Obviously the U has never recovered from the Haskins scandal. Maturi wants the U to appear ethical way more than he wants to win. It would not surprise me if Maturi considers the resolution of this case to be proof that Trevor is unfit to represent the U, kicks him off the team and thus displays what an ethical institution the U has become. I hope not.
On the other side of the coin it seems that the victim was eventually worn down by all the delays and was willing to agree to any deal which brought what has become her personal nightmare to an end.[/QUOTE]

If I'm not mistaken, in cases of this nature, the victim frequently has no say in the matter. Once charges are brought of this nature, there's no un-ringing that bell. She could have been begging the DA's office starting one week after the incident NOT to press charges but they are bound to pursue the issue.

That being said, it's nice to see that she's accepting of the resolution to this case.

From Myron:

"Awaiting word from the Gophers. But Mbakwe lawyer says he expects him to stay at U, play next season."

Go Gophers!!

For what it's worth, Myron Medcalf, Minnesota beat writer for the Star-Tribune, Tweeted Thursday that he spoke with Mbakwe's lawyer, who told him he expects Mbakwe to remain at Minnesota and play this season. Minnesota officials, including coach Tubby Smith, have yet to comment.

Thanks google monster.

Myron Tweets:

Gophers AD Joel Maturi says a statement will be released later today that will address Mbakwe's situation.

A Marcus tweet:

"Mbakwe's attorney Gregory Samms told me that Minnesota's coaches and university officials are very happy with the results of this case."

Go Gophers!!

Marcus tweet:

AD Joel Maturi said a relese will be coming today about Mbakwe's status.

What an embarrassment. Insecure I guess...

Marcus takes an opportunity to pat himself on the back with this tweet:

"I was told about Mbakwe's situation early this morning before anyone. Don't usually break big news on Twitter though."

Go Gophers!!

Hey, Maturi, there's this thing called a polygraph. Feel free to administer a couple before you make any decision.

If maturi does anything other than welcome him back, i say we get the pitchforks.

Trevor's attorney's delay tactics worked perfectly. Too bad Royce didn't use Trevor's attorney.

I guess this means the prosecution's case was very weak or the witness herself was either not reliable or backing down from testifying...it doesn't mean he's not guilty of doing something wrong but I'd like to think if it were serious, the prosecution would never let him walk with this deal.

So, he'll do 2 and half weeks of community service and pay 100 bucks.

Lets hope he kept himself in shape and sharp basketball wise.

I'm just going to give the benefit of the doubt to Minnesota's Tubby Smith, who has a long and established record of running a class program. I wouldn't say this for all coaches, but I really don't believe Smith would take Mbakwe if he genuinely thought Mbakwe punched a female in April 2009 ... Smith believes in Mbakwe, and Mbakwe will have a clean criminal record within the next year. Those things ... are enough to make me OK with the reinstatement.

2. Will Mbakwe make an impact at Minnesota?

He averaged 16 points and 13 rebounds for a junior college team that went 26-3 in 2008-09, the same junior college team that featured Memphis senior Will Coleman. I tell you that because Coleman is regarded as an above average big man in college basketball, and Mbakwe was the better big man on that team. So, yes, I think Mbakwe will make an impact right from the start.

I guess this means the prosecution's case was very weak or the witness herself was either not reliable or backing down from testifying...it doesn't mean he's not guilty of doing something wrong but I'd like to think if it were serious, the prosecution would never let him walk with this deal.

So, he'll do 2 and half weeks of community service and pay 100 bucks.

Lets hope he kept himself in shape and sharp basketball wise.

He averaged 22 ppg in Pulley summer league games and was generally considered one of, if not THE best player in the league.

Top Bottom