Mbakwe goes down....ugly too

Tweet just now from Trevor from the locker room:

"@TMbakwe32: Lord please get me through this"

Go Gophers!!

Mo played a certain portion last year and couldn't get a redshirt. Same thing may apply to Trevor.

This is heartbreaking, for Trevor and his teammates. And if he's out for the season, it will be a huge test for Tubby and his ability to keep the team competitive in the B1G.

on the bright side, tubby now has an alibi for this season.

There should be no alibis for such high paid, high pedigreed coaches in their fifth season, and there shouldn't be a an overly generous contract extension either.

So sad to see Mbakwe leave the game. I think we are cursed. Best case scenario, he is out a few weeks with a bad sprain. Worst case scenario, gone the rest of the season with an ACL. Based on his response, the latter seems like where we are headed. Such a bummer.

Trevor may be aided by the loosening of NCAA rules in this area.

Previously to get a medical, a player had to play in less than 20 percent of games, now at is 30 percent. Also, the NCAA seems way more willing to give sixth years, which this would be.

That said, why don't we all wait for the MRI before declaring the season lost.

Andy Katz says MRI on Tuesday:

"@ESPNAndyKatz: Minnesota spokesperson says Trevor Mbakwe has a right knee injury. MRI Tuesday. That would crush the Gophers if he's out."

Go Gophers!!

Mo played a certain portion last year and couldn't get a redshirt. Same thing may apply to Trevor.
No, not the same. Walker played in >30% of our games before that happened.

Trevor has only played in 6, which will likely be a much smaller percentage than 30% of our total games.

That being said, I don't think he'd come back anyway. He has a child and a fiancé, and he'll almost be 25 years old if he stays. He will have his degree in a few weeks. No reason to stay.

He may fall a lot in the draft, sure. He may not even be drafted, but surely someone will pick him up, and he'll be making money playing basketball. I just don't see him possibly staying around for another year, given all of the factors involved.

As far as I'm aware we're not hiding another dominant PF that can score, rebound, block shots command double teams, All-BT, etc.

Are you just trying to be a smart ass? I'm not a sky is falling person, but we possibly just lost our most talented front court player by far and our back court is very inexperienced...doesn't generally bode well for BT play.

If Tubby doesn't land Tyus now, the whole Tubby experiment will be a HUGE failure.

I don't see him staying around either, but we'd have a hell of a team if he did. Mav would probably have to transfer because we'd have too many scholarship guys.

Trevor has actually played in seven games. Tonight will count.

But that is still less than 30 percent.

If he returned (again I don't think he would) we'd potentially have the following roster:

PG: Julian Welch, Andre Hollins
SG: Austin Hollins, Chip Armelin, Wally Ellenson
SF: Rodney Williams, Oto Osenieks, Joe Coleman
PF: Trevor Mbakwe, Charles Buggs, Andre Ingram
C: Mo Walker, Elliot Eliason

Assuming Mav transfers.

Assuming this is what it looks like (Trevor out for the year), we can't take anything from what we're seeing right now. This team is shell shocked, no doubt about it. Plus, Ralph isn't even out there to provide SOME kind of interior presence. We look like a team without any leadership on the court, and that's gonna take some time to figure out if Trevor is truly done.

I won't write off NCAA tourney, but boy, someone's gonna have to play out of their minds to think that it will happen without Trevor out there. Ralph and Rodney come to mind. Or Dre Hollins finds his offensive groove at some point. Or Oto really does go "Hoff" on it.

Assuming this is what it looks like (Trevor out for the year), we can't take anything from what we're seeing right now. This team is shell shocked, no doubt about it. Plus, Ralph isn't even out there to provide SOME kind of interior presence. We look like a team without any leadership on the court, and that's gonna take some time to figure out if Trevor is truly done.

I won't write off NCAA tourney, but boy, someone's gonna have to play out of their minds to think that it will happen without Trevor out there. Ralph and Rodney come to mind. Or Dre Hollins finds his offensive groove at some point. Or Oto really does go "Hoff" on it.

u are NOT writing off the NCAA Tournament? wow. the gophers just lost to a projected middle-of-the-pack a-10 team and, oh yeah, probably will be without their top offensive and defensive player by far fr the rest of the season. write it off buddy...write it off.

If he returned (again I don't think he would) we'd potentially have the following roster:

PG: Julian Welch, Andre Hollins
SG: Austin Hollins, Chip Armelin, Wally Ellenson
SF: Rodney Williams, Oto Osenieks, Joe Coleman
PF: Trevor Mbakwe, Charles Buggs, Andre Ingram
C: Mo Walker, Elliot Eliason

Assuming Mav transfers.

Who on that list besides Trevor has shown anything other than rare flashes of above average ability and when have they collectively looked like a "hell of a team?". Paper tigers at best, and Rodney and Ralph are proof positive that paper tigers don't necessarily excel in the Big 10.

u are NOT writing off the NCAA Tournament? wow. the gophers just lost to a projected middle-of-the-pack a-10 team and, oh yeah, probably will be without their top offensive and defensive player by far fr the rest of the season. write it off buddy...write it off.

Like I said, something unexpected will have to happen for them to make it, obviously. I don't declare anything about a team 7 games into the season, not when they are 6-1 with the one loss coming in a game when their leader goes down in shocking fashion. You just never know what's gonna happen. There was a period early last season when people wondered about Michigan even being a tournament worthy team. Then suddenly, they figured some things out and suddenly now they're a top 20 team in the rankings.

Look, it obviously looks really, really bad. I can't say I expect them to make the tourney. But the fact is, we don't know how this season is gonna turn out. We don't know if a guy like Dre Hollins will figure things out and suddenly emerge. We don't know who might step up and become a factor when prior they played a secondary role because Trevor was the unquestioned leader. This team is very young, and might have just gotten even younger now. Young teams can surprise you one way or the other. The odds aren't in their favor, but I'm not just gonna definitely say they're done until I see a little more of the product.

We are now Indiana in the prior two years, hoping for an upset every now and again. Sad, but true.

jamalo said:
We are now Indiana in the prior two years, hoping for an upset every now and again. Sad, but true.

Can we storm the Court too?

Unless they changed the rules IIRC you can only get a medical hardship if you have a redshirt year available or if the first redshirt was used because of injury. Unless the U can come up with a medical condition from Trevor's redshirt year (and Joel Maturi is not a medical condition) then I do not think that he would get an extra year. The question is also whether or not he would use that year.

As a Badger fan who comes over here to talk recruiting/ recruiting info I just want to say that this sucks for him, the team, you guys, and me as I enjoyed watching him play.

Ask.com states a medical hardship waiver may be granted if a player plays in less than 30% of the games in a year.

Without Trevor they will be lucky to win 4 games in the Big Ten. I hope it is just a sprain and only lose three or four weeks. Even if that is the case there isn't going to be even an NIT bid this year, they could win 6 or 7 if he comes back, but he wouldn't be at full strength until mid season.

That was just heart-breaking to watch. Thoughts with Trevor, hope he can recover and continue with his basketball career whether it be with the Gophers this season or not.

That was just heart-breaking to watch. Thoughts with Trevor, hope he can recover and continue with his basketball career whether it be with the Gophers this season or not.

Agree 100%, such a tough break for Trevor and the program. Judging by the way his knee bent and the expressions on his face afterwards, my guess is yesterday was the last time we will see Trevor in a Gopher uniform.....medical hardship waiver or not. I hope I'm wrong.

Agree 100%, such a tough break for Trevor and the program. Judging by the way his knee bent and the expressions on his face afterwards, my guess is yesterday was the last time we will see Trevor in a Gopher uniform.....medical hardship waiver or not. I hope I'm wrong.

Sad to say you are probably correct.

Top Bottom