Mbakwe done: Torn ACL

BigAl

Reaction score
Mbakwe

Does anyone know the status of Trevor? Or whenever someone hears something let us know. Prayers go out to Trevor!

Just confirmed by Ryan James. I feel terrible for him.

Best of luck on your recovery Trevor, and if you don't play another minute for the Gophers, I for one really appreciate everything you contributed to our team and program.

@DarrenWolfson: Hearing the news isn't good for @TMbakwe32. The MRI was conducted this morning. Don't be surprised if the word is indeed a torn ACL.

Best of luck on your recovery Trevor, and if you don't play another minute for the Gophers, I for one really appreciate everything you contributed to our team and program.

This. Say what you will about his off-court issues, he is a phenomenal basketball player. He plays with so much ferocity, and that's something this team has lacked for while. I really doubt he will play in a Gopher uniform again, and I can't blame him. I really hope he recovers quickly and has a long prosperous career in the NBA. I'd love to see him in a pro jersey.

Really hope he still finds a way to make it in the NBA. These last few years couldn't be any more depressing.

This. Say what you will about his off-court issues, he is a phenomenal basketball player. He plays with so much ferocity, and that's something this team has lacked for while. I really doubt he will play in a Gopher uniform again, and I can't blame him. I really hope he recovers quickly and has a long prosperous career in the NBA. I'd love to see him in a pro jersey.

Might be a nice pick for t-wolves in 2nd round.

Tubby should have never pissed off that witch doctor. We need this curse uplifted ASAP!

Trevor: your NBA workouts just started.

In only six+ games he showed an expanded offensive repertoire that was on display Sunday night before his injury. If he makes the full recovery as expected, he'll get snapped up in the first round. I hate the NBA, but would watch this guy play.

Well I don't really see a reason to watch this team the rest of the year, good thing theres NBA now!

MNGreatest said:
Well I don't really see a reason to watch this team the rest of the year, good thing theres NBA now!

So you're a gopher fan huh?

Even what I saw from his improved free throws this year has shown me he can develop in the NBA and should get drafted next year. I'll buy a ticket when he comes to town.

If it wasn't for bad luck, Gopher Basketball wouldn't have any luck at all. Hang in there Trevor, you'll still get your chance in the NBA. Ralph and Rodney, it's time for you to step up.

TLHGO4 said:
If it wasn't for bad luck, Gopher Basketball wouldn't have any luck at all. Hang in there Trevor, you'll still get your chance in the NBA. Ralph and Rodney, it's time for you to step up.

+1

That really sucks for Trevor and Me.

Trevor, wish you the best in whatever you do. I was looking foward to your time to shine this year.

Me, well another year of maybe next year.

That really sucks for Trevor and Me.

Trevor, wish you the best in whatever you do. I was looking foward to your time to shine this year.

Me, well another year of maybe next year.

I feel the same way. He would have been a first team All-American, and the team was looking like we would have high upside. They're gonna have to rally around something or someone. Maybe this is the time for the ghost that is formerly known as Ralph Sampson III to come back into his human body and dominate as he should!

It is truly amazing the amount of bad luck and misfortune that Tubby has endured during his stint here. I just wish we could finally judge Tubby on a season during which there weren't excuses. With Trevor out, the team will have to depend on Elliason and Ingram to be physical down low, and that just won't equate into many wins this season.

If there is a positive in this, all of our young players will have to learn to play without the option of Trevor bailing them out. This should help leading into next season.

Best of luck Trevor, you'll be fun to watch in a Wolves jersey!

GopherHoopsFan

Can he get a Medical Red-Shirt?
Probably not - there's an article on the front page that explains why not.

It'd be great if he could (having Trevor back on the same team, only more experienced - we'd have a better shot of a year that will net us recruits long-term), but I doubt he'd come back even if he were allowed.

THE Chitown Gopher said:
Can he get a Medical Red-Shirt?

Medical, probably. Issue is it'd be his 6th year which is harder to get a waiver for. And lastly, with all he's gone through in college, if he has any chance at a first round draft spot he's gotta take it IMO.

Here's the official press release from the U of MN:

Mbakwe Suffers ACL Tear, Will Miss Remainder of Season

University of Minnesota Medical Director Dr. Brad Nelson confirmed today that senior forward Trevor Mbakwe suffered an ACL tear to his right knee. Mbakwe will be lost for the remainder of the season. Surgery to repair the injury will be scheduled in the upcoming weeks.

“My family and I would like to thank everyone for their support,” said Mbakwe.

“Trevor’s done everything we’ve asked him to do in his time here at the University of Minnesota. He’s been through an awful lot,” said Gopher head coach Tubby Smith. “That says a lot about his toughness to be able to recover from the things he has already endured.

“He had a knee surgery before (at Marquette) and for it to happen a second time, you hurt for him, but you know he’s a guy that has the will power and has been through it before and can recover again. We are certainly going to miss him. He’s having a great year. He’s our leader. He’s been a big emotional leader for us. Our players look up to Trevor, not just because of his talent, but because of his work ethic, and the type of person he’s been.

“The team has watched what he’s had to deal with and overcome, and I think that endears you—me, too—to a person like him. He knows that we’re here for him, and we will do whatever we can do to help him through this process.”

Mbakwe, named to the Preseason All-Big Ten First Team and to the John R. Wooden award watch list, is currently leading the Gophers in scoring (14.0 ppg) and rebounding (9.1 rpg) through seven games.

The leading rebounder for Team USA at the World University Games this summer, Mbakwe made an impact in his first season in Gold Country, finishing with a Big Ten Conference-best 10.5 rebounds per game as a junior.

His 327 total rebounds were the third-most in a single-season at Minnesota and the most since Jim Brewer collected 331 rebounds during the 1970-71 season. Mbakwe also averaged a team-high 13.9 points per game to become the first Gopher player to average a double-double since Kris Humphries did so during the 2003-4 season.

“Trevor’s done everything we’ve asked him to do in his time here at the University of Minnesota. He’s been through an awful lot,” said Gopher head coach Tubby Smith.
Don't mean to be a downer, but that quote from Tubby makes it seem as though Tubby feels Trevor's playing days at the U are over. Maybe I'm misinterpreting it? I don't think it's unexpected, but it really is too bad...

ShowinGoldyLove said:
Don't mean to be a downer, but that quote from Tubby sure makes it seem as though Tubby feels Trevor's playing days at the U are over. I don't think it's unexpected, but it really is too bad...

I'd have to agree with coach smith on that. I think we've seen Trevor in a gopher uniform for the last time. He may not even get a waiver if he applied, and then it'd depend on his projected draft position.

Don't mean to be a downer, but that quote from Tubby makes it seem as though Tubby feels Trevor's playing days at the U are over. Maybe I'm misinterpreting it? I don't think it's unexpected, but it really is too bad...

That's exactly what I got from this comment to. I don't want to read too much into it though.

Boy he had a big impact on this program for the small amount of games he actually played. Keep teaching these youngsters Trevor! We still need your help this year.

Bottom line, it shouldn't have ended this way...

VERY hard for me to see him returning. He's already logged a good amount of time, maybe Kim Royston can talk to him. Not even sure he'd be eligible to do it anyway.

I thank him for his time here nonetheless, the kid played hard at all times, had to endure people criticizing his character (not saying he's not at fault for some of it), finally was getting his props on the national scene, and now this. I wish him nothing but the best in his recovery. He may not be on the court physically, but hopefully he can still lead this team from the sidelines.

I hate to say it, but the chances of him ever wearing a Gopher uniform again are close to nil. 6th year is one issue, plus, if he can snap up "show" money, he would be crazy to pass it up at this juncture. Both knees in the matter of 5 years...wow. Feel bad for the kid.

Top Bottom