Mbakwe done: Torn ACL

Terrible situation. Hope he recovers and has a nice NBA career.

wasn't Troy Coverdale at Indiana for 7years. I also feel like there was a player who started at Indiana, transferred to Iowa who was in college forever, can't think of his name though late 90's, early 2000's

Jess Settles deal:
93-94: BTFoY
94-95: BT 3rd team
95-96: BT 1st team
96-97: Out after 3 games. Medical redshirt
97-98: DNP
98-99: Senior year

wasn't Troy Coverdale at Indiana for 7years. I also feel like there was a player who started at Indiana, transferred to Iowa who was in college forever, can't think of his name though late 90's, early 2000's
Luke Recker?

Jess Settles deal:
93-94: BTFoY
94-95: BT 3rd team
95-96: BT 1st team
96-97: Out after 3 games. Medical redshirt
97-98: DNP
98-99: Senior year
Assuming it was due to injury, he got the same waiver Royston did.

Trevor was the unquestioned rock of this team. He was the go-to player and best offensive and defensive weapon on the team, and it really wasn't even close. The issue with this team is the talent drop off after Mbakwe. Who is the team's second best player? You could make an argument for half a dozen guys, which isn't always a good thing. This team has no proven stud and has suddenly become a collection of decent role players and young talent. Who is the offense going to run through? Who is going to dominate the boards? Who is going to guard Sullinger? Who knows...

I'm going to ask a really crazy question. Please don't overreact...oh, go ahead. I'm not recommending this, just asking.

How critical is it to have a basketball program? Does the program self-fund itself? If the U were to drop Men's roundball, how many Women's sports could we drop? I assume that w/six teams in the NCAA tournament each year and the BIG play-offs that this sport makes a major bottom-line fiscal contribution to the athletic Dept so this wouldn't be considered. Sure hope so.

I'm going to ask a really crazy question. Please don't overreact...oh, go ahead. I'm not recommending this, just asking.

How critical is it to have a basketball program? Does the program self-fund itself? If the U were to drop Men's roundball, how many Women's sports could we drop? I assume that w/six teams in the NCAA tournament each year and the BIG play-offs that this sport makes a major bottom-line fiscal contribution to the athletic Dept so this wouldn't be considered. Sure hope so.

Men's basketball at the U makes a lot of money, relatively. It is one of the top-25 most profitable bball programs in the country.

Given how the BB team outside of Trevor really has not looked good, it has all the makings of being a very long year...

You could drop a 12 scholarship sport from the Women's sports. And this team is profitable, probably one of the few sports at the U that actually makes money.

There are 3 sports that make money at the U, as with most schools.
1. Football
2. Mens basketball
3. Mens hockey

Profits from those three sports all goes to support the other Gopher sports.

All the other Gophers sports lose money.

It's very simple.

There are 3 sports that make money at the U, as with most schools.
1. Football
2. Mens basketball
3. Mens hockey

Profits from those three sports all goes to support the other Gopher sports.

All the other Gophers sports lose money.

It's very simple.

This would never happen, but how successful (financially and probably otherwise in sports) would the U be with only those three sports, womens basketball, womens hockey, volleyball and whatever other womens sports are needed to balance scholarships with football? Would be kind of interesting at least. Only 6-9 scholarship sports.

Top Bottom