Max Brosmer produced the best passing grade in the nation in Week 2

He had a good game. I want to see it on the 21st.

Oh, I'm already prepared with the comp from last season. Here's Kaliakmanis vs Iowa last year. Let's see if Brosmer can top this stat line:

Athan Kaliakmanis vs Iowa, 2023

10-25, 126 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT

Oh, I'm already prepared with the comp from last season. Here's Kaliakmanis vs Iowa last year. Let's see if Brosmer can top this stat line:

This is the ONE time I'll defend AK.

AK did his job in that game as in playing conservatively. I'm convinced that AK's whole job was to make the most high % possible passes ... or not at all and we just played for FGs.

It makes sense as you absolutely don't put AK in a situation taking chances vs an Iowa defense that is a scoring machine.

It worked ...

Max may be asked to do a lot more, but that comes with risks vs Iowa (well their defense).

AK did his job in that game as in playing conservatively. I'm convinced that AK's whole job was to make the most high % possible passes ... or not at all and we just played for FGs.

It makes sense as you absolutely don't put AK in a situation taking chances vs an Iowa defense that is a scoring machine.

It worked ...

Max may be asked to do a lot more, but that comes with risks.
I agree to a certain extent, especially on playing conservative against a Defense like Iowa. But 10-25 is still putrid.

I agree to a certain extent, especially on playing conservative against a Defense like Iowa. But 10-25 is still putrid.

Maybe my memory is off on this, but wasn't the weather pretty bad in that game?

It worked ...

Max may be asked to do a lot more, but that comes with risks vs Iowa (well their defense).

The bolded is absolutely spot on.

I could drop this almost anywhere but this thread reminds me of the peculiar negativity that exists in Facebook, or comment sections related to "Bring Me the News", KFAN, Strib, etc. etc. when it comes to Gopher sports, especially football. I think there are a couple factors. A lot of people that haven't attended college seem to have a chip on their shoulders regarding college culture or sports. We also live in a large metro area that draws residents from Iowa and Wisconsin in great numbers, and they consume local media here and invade the comment sections. And, the passive aggressive cynical nature of Minnesotans in general may factor in.

But the result is any loss is filled with comment section drivel about how the Gophers "never win and never will". And a win over pretty much anyone except Alabama is seen as a feast on a bad team.

They came crawling out of the woodwork again over the weekend, including filling the comment sections with negativity under the articles about Brosmer's great afternoon. The negativity combined with a general lack of college football knowledge seems to inspire idiots to comment as if the Gophers are the only college football team scheduling non-power four opponents in nonconference games. I rarely check those comment sections and if I do, I almost never respond to that crap. It would be a never ending game of whack-a-mole.

Not good at all. I would bet Brosmer is better than that.

I could drop this almost anywhere but this thread reminds me of the peculiar negativity that exists in Facebook, or comment sections related to "Bring Me the News", KFAN, Strib, etc. etc. when it comes to Gopher sports, especially football. I think there are a couple factors. A lot of people that haven't attended college seem to have a chip on their shoulders regarding college culture or sports. We also live in a large metro area that draws residents from Iowa and Wisconsin in great numbers, and they consume local media here and invade the comment sections. And, the passive aggressive cynical nature of Minnesotans in general may factor in.

But the result is any loss is filled with comment section drivel about how the Gophers "never win and never will". And a win over pretty much anyone except Alabama is seen as a feast on a bad team.

They came crawling out of the woodwork again over the weekend, including filling the comment sections with negativity under the articles about Brosmer's great afternoon. The negativity combined with a general lack of college football knowledge seems to inspire idiots to comment as if the Gophers are the only college football team scheduling non-power four opponents in nonconference games. I rarely check those comment sections and if I do, I almost never respond to that crap. It would be a never ending game of whack-a-mole.

Very true.

I have a good friend who is (by his own admission) very opinionated. We were having a beer and he went off on a tangent about Fleck. Said Fleck is "nothing but a cheerleader", etc. He asked me why they don't find a "better" coach. I gently pointed out that perhaps it's because Fleck has the best record of any Gopher coach in most people's memory.

His reply was classic:

"Oh. Well, I don't follow college football."

Very true.

I have a good friend who is (by his own admission) very opinionated. We were having a beer and he went off on a tangent about Fleck. Said Fleck is "nothing but a cheerleader", etc. He asked me why they don't find a "better" coach. I gently pointed out that perhaps it's because Fleck has the best record of any Gopher coach in most people's memory.

His reply was classic:

"Oh. Well, I don't follow college football."
If I could wave a magic wand and require people actually watch some of the stuff they talk about first it would be so nice ...

I wish I had a dollar for every time I have directly heard "The Gophers have been crappy my whole life and never had a chance at a Rose Bowl." When it is a direct conversation I throw out the "Well they have had three or four seasons in the last 20 where they were one painful loss away from a division or conference championship, right?" - It is always a deer in the headlights reaction.

Brosmer and likely 2025 NFL draft first-round pick Cam Ward were the best in the country in Week 2.

Even more impressive is that PFF tracked five dropped passes by the Gophers, so Brosmer could've fnished 27 of 28 passing if it weren't for the drops.

Five drops converts to 29 - 30.

Maybe my memory is off on this, but wasn't the weather pretty bad in that game?
Does it really matter? His completion percentage was garbage last year regardless of the weather conditions.

If I could wave a magic wand and require people actually watch some of the stuff they talk about first it would be so nice ...
You mean like the people still saying we are running a service academy offense even though we have been nothing close to that in the first 2 games? :)

It worked ...

You are correct that it "worked". We won the game.

Can't agree with your take on AK's performance ... "AK's whole job was to make the highest % passes possible" ...

Sixty percent of his throws were incomplete. Pretty terrible for only trying the easiest throws possible.

You mean like the people still saying we are running a service academy offense even though we have been nothing close to that in the first 2 games? :)
I was asked when we would beat Wisconsin last year.

I was thinking: "Bro why you even talking to me like that? Ask me about the weather or something ..."

Does it really matter? His completion percentage was garbage last year regardless of the weather conditions.

Overall, no, it doesn't matter.

Lots of people seem to be of the opinion that the Gophers need to throw the ball more often. I mentioned the weather because weather can be a factor in play selection. In Kaliakmanis' case, I think a pass-first offensive scheme would be ill-advised, no matter the weather conditions.

Last edited:

I feel pretty confident via my eye test that Max is a more accurate passer and better decision maker than AK was last year.
Brosmer's completion percentage through 2 games is over 70% and would be closer to 80% if the WR did a better job catching the ball. AK routinely hovered around 50% last year....so I would say your eye test is very much correct.

On the decision making front.....I can't recall many throws through 2 weeks that were 50/50 balls or bad decisions. Hopefully that continues. One of Morgan's strengths during his time here was making the right decisions more often than not and not putting the ball up fro grabs a ton. Through 2 games Brosmer has given off similar vibes in how he sees things and make decisions.

I feel pretty confident via my eye test that Max is a more accurate passer and better decision maker than AK was last year.
Even AK's completions last year ... were often bonkers late throws.

The TD vs Nebraska, AK got saved by Jackson...

In one game AK was staring at a WR from the very start, and the dude next to me and I both had time to yell "HE'S FUCKING OPEN!" before AK committed to the pass. There was nobody within the WR for a mile and it was plain as day to the QB. -sigh-

Last edited:

Overall, no, it doesn't matter.

Lots of people seem to be of the opinion that the Gophers need to throw the ball more often. I mentioned the weather because weather can be a factor in play selection. In Kaliakmanis' case, I think a pass-first offensive scheme would be ill-advised, no matter the weather conditions.
Dependant on the total number of plays, but at 65% completion and averaging 8 yards, that adds up to 22-27 attempts a game to hit around 200 yards passing a game. If he needs to be consistently in the 225-250 range, that's somewhere around 30 attempts give or take.

Dependant on the total number of plays, but at 65% completion and averaging 8 yards, that adds up to 22-27 attempts a game to hit around 200 yards passing a game. If he needs to be consistently in the 225-250 range, that's somewhere around 30 attempts give or take.

You seem to be putting a lot of importance in hitting a certain number of yards per game. That's one way to evaluate the passing offense, but it's not the only way.

In 2019, the Gophers averaged 253 yards per game. They had a total of 323 pass attempts, which is 19.46 attempts per game (323 / 13 games). Under 20 attempts per game!

The key stat in 2019, and the big reason for the success of that team's passing offense, was efficiency. They averaged a phenomenal 10.20 yards per attempt with a completion percentage of 65.6%. Hit a receiver on the numbers, on time and in stride and the chances of breaking a big play are increased exponentially.

How many of those slant plays did Bateman, Johnson and/or Autman-Bell take to the house?

You seem to be putting a lot of importance in hitting a certain number of yards per game. That's one way to evaluate the passing offense, but it's not the only way.

In 2019, the Gophers averaged 253 yards per game. They had a total of 323 pass attempts, which is 19.46 attempts per game (323 / 13 games). Under 20 attempts per game!

The key stat in 2019, and the big reason for the success of that team's passing offense, was efficiency. They averaged a phenomenal 10.20 yards per attempt with a completion percentage of 65.6%. Hit a receiver on the numbers, on time and in stride and the chances of breaking a big play are increased exponentially.

How many of those slant plays did Bateman, Johnson and/or Autman-Bell take to the house?

Yes, given they should still average something like125-150 yards rushing per game. I used a slightly lower completion % and yards/per that would be more likely achievable, thus a higher number of attempts.

Yes, given they should still average something like125-150 yards rushing per game. I used a slightly lower completion % and yards/per that would be more likely achievable, thus a higher number of attempts.

On a different thread... apparently Fleck and Brosmer have set a goal of 70% completions. I like it!

On a different thread... apparently Fleck and Brosmer have set a goal of 70% completions. I like it!

Lofty. Only six teams achieved that last year. Only 14 teams had over 9 yards per attempt, including AF who only attempted 105 passes. LSU almost hit on both...just shy of 70% but over 10 yards/per.

Lofty. Only six teams achieved that last year. Only 14 teams had over 9 yards per attempt, including AF who only attempted 105 passes. LSU almost hit on both...just shy of 70% but over 10 yards/per.

I think Brosmer is around 72% so far this season, give or take.

He was over 60% against North Carolina with almost no time to throw.

Top Bottom