Max Brosmer produced the best passing grade in the nation in Week 2

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Brosmer and likely 2025 NFL draft first-round pick Cam Ward were the best in the country in Week 2.

Even more impressive is that PFF tracked five dropped passes by the Gophers, so Brosmer could've fnished 27 of 28 passing if it weren't for the drops.

Would have had over 300 yards easily if not for drops.

They certainly found something late in the game of game one where this mix of short really setup longer attempts and runs.

Last edited:

giphy.gif

Let's hope he continues to get as many players involved as he did in the Rhode Island game.
I'm more worried about the WRs catching / getting open... OL holding up.

I feel confidant Max can deliver the ball at this point. He has shown the ability to make quick decisions and put the ball in their hands consistently.

Last edited:

The key is to improve passing efficiency over last season, not more pass attempts. So far, this has been very successful.

2023, two comparable games...

WEEK TWO vs. North Carolina : 11-29, 133 yards, 0 TD, 1 Int
WEEK THREE vs. Eastern Michigan : 10-15, 117 yards, 0 TD, 1 Int
TOTALS, two early games : 21-44 (47%), 250 yards, 0 TD, 2 Int

2024, two comparable games...

WEEK ONE vs. North Carolina : 13-21, 166 yards, 0 TD, 0 Int
WEEK TWO vs. Eastern Michigan : 24-30, 271 yards, 2 TD, 0 Int
TOTALS, two early games : 37-51 (72%), 447 yards, 2 TD, 0 Int

--------------

2024 has only 7 more passing attempts in two games over 2023, but look at the differences in yardage, completion %, etc.

EFFICIENCY.

I've been optimistic about Brosmer since he signed with us. He definitely had some bad decisions in the UNC game (holding on to the ball too long, the fumble, etc), but even in that game he had an OK completion percentage. The game against RI showed us stats that we haven't seen since prime Tanner Morgan. Let's hope he continues to get comfortable in the offense and it's a trend that continues. We all know he will be playing against much tougher defenses in BIG play. Hopefully he can keep getting better every week and hopefully the OC and O-line keep getting better every week.

The key is to improve passing efficiency over last season, not more pass attempts. So far, this has been very successful.

--------------

2024 has only 7 more passing attempts in two games over 2023, but look at the differences in yardage, completion %, etc.

EFFICIENCY.
Very impressive.

Thus my mantra about short passes to setup long passes.

Passing opens up passing. Long bombs because you just want them to be a thing are not an end unto themself unless you've got Randy moss out there, and you almost certainly won't.

Even our short passes in last week's games ended up with more yardage after the catch that roughly equaled the distance to those mid-range passes we tried and failed at earlier.

I'll give Max a pass on week one. Geoff Collins of NC is noted for his confusing defenses and is new to UNC. We were asking Max to read and react, to a complicated defense with zero tape to prepare, by the time we get to Iowa, there will be plenty of tape to study.

--------------

EFFICIENCY.
Seemed like last year Gophs passed when they needed to, as opposed to when they wanted to pass.

My wife tells me that we need to revamp the schedule and play Rhode Island eight more times this year. I am hoping that he repeats his RI type of performance several more times this year. Go Gophers!

The game against RI showed us stats that we haven't seen since prime Tanner Morgan.

What I like most is how many players have caught passes so far. There were 8 different players in the first game and 12 in the second. Brosmer appears to scan the field well and gets all eligible receivers involved. So far, we've had 22 catches by 6 wide receivers, 12 catches by 3 running backs, and 6 catches by 3 tight ends.

What I like most is how many players have caught passes so far. There were 8 different players in the first game and 12 in the second. Brosmer appears to scan the field well and gets all eligible receivers involved. So far, we've had 22 catches by 6 wide receivers, 12 catches by 3 running backs, and 6 catches by 3 tight ends.
He also hasn't really tried to force the ball into dangerous windows.

Lots of experience, once he fully adjusts to this level he could be really good. Hopefully they can keep building on the positives from the first 2 games.

They may also need to mix in some up temp game like they did on Saturday to force some better match-ups. Brosmer looked comfortable when they picked up the pace. I think it would help our OL as well.

They may also need to mix in some up temp game like they did on Saturday to force some better match-ups. Brosmer looked comfortable when they picked up the pace. I think it would help our OL as well.
I would think the headset communication could really help with teams going uptempo if they have a QB who is good at relaying things quickly to the offense.

--------------

EFFICIENCY.
Math With Murray ❤️

Can we please nail you down for a weekly update?

Stat note: I believe they called 30 pass plays vs North Carolina...wasn't able to throw on 9 of them.

If we are changing our best...how many more times is Max rated #1 in the next 10 games?
If he's near the top often, we should be pretty good.

Really puzzling why we drop so many passes so consistently. We got jugs guns, right? They are wide receivers, right? Job number one is probably get open but number one does not matter if you can't catch the dang ball.

My wife tells me that we need to revamp the schedule and play Rhode Island eight more times this year. I am hoping that he repeats his RI type of performance several more times this year. Go Gophers!

Ask your wife what she thinks of Eastern Michigan, last year's comp.

Ask your wife what she thinks of Eastern Michigan, last year's comp.
Please note that It is not typically necessary to ask my wife for her opinions, she shares them with me whether I ask for them or not. I'm sure that no one else on this board has experienced that dynamic. Go Gophers!

YES. I think this will pay dividends later in the season.

If you only target 1 or 2 players regularly for passes it's easy for defenses to double cover them and dare you to throw elsewhere. If you consistently spread the ball around to many different players defenses have a harder job, even if they double cover the best receiver in the field on any given play Brosmer can (and will) find someone else to throw to (as long as he has time, which is why I hope the OL can figure out their pass protection woes soon).

Please note that It is not typically necessary to ask my wife for her opinions, she shares them with me whether I ask for them or not. I'm sure that no one else on this board has experienced that dynamic. Go Gophers!

Ohhhhhhh, yes. As the kids say, "I feel you, bro."

Great observation.

Does she work as a consultant for CBJ’s non-conference basketball scheduling?

Not me....I'm in charge at my house......and I can confidently say that because I know she doesn't read gopherhole :)

Top Bottom