Maturi PO'd at the "beat the traffic" fans

It's weak no matter what. You don't walk out on the players.

I noticed that those who left in the VERY first wave were those gems of "fans" who don't wear maroon and gold. It was striking to see the aisles of the first leaving were all odd colors, almost all I saw around my section were.
Seriously I can't wait for the first freeze out in Nov. let all these bleepin crap fans get a taste and not reup on tickets next year, recent grads buy them and we'll cycle out this crappy "fans" little by little. PLEASE let there be a 20 degree game with wind and snow.

stayed to the bitter end plus 15 minutes, plus 45 minutes in the parking lot tailgating. Only way to actually beat the traffic. Why come to the game if you don't want to support the men who gave everything they had and played a helluva game against the #8 team in the country?
Remember, the game ain't over till the fat lady sings!

I noticed that those who left in the VERY first wave were those gems of "fans" who don't wear maroon and gold. It was striking to see the aisles of the first leaving were all odd colors, almost all I saw around my section were.

How hard is it to wear a shirt that is either maroon or gold? I'll never understand how lame people can be. I made my buddy (I spread my season tickets around to a few friends) stop and buy a gold shirt before the first game because he wore black.. I just don't get it.

Seatbacks

Did anyone else see that most of those leaving (when the Goph's were down by 1 score and A-Web threw the pick) were from seatbacks? Looked like a lot of older people or families sitting in seatbacks in the lower level.

In Section 105 nobody was leaving except for a few families with kids.

I'm glad Maturi made a public statement (via Sid) about this. It's about time.

maturi is right, but...

like most or all of the posters in here, i do agree that maturi is correct in being upset with fans leaving early. i will even admit that a couple of the people i have season tickets with have an affinity for leaving early. i do give them a hard time occasionally but i can only rip them so much.
with that said, i do think maturi needs to look in the mirror a bit... last year at wisconsin for the 'sota social in the team hotel he was scheduled to show up and speak. but he couldn't make it because he was too busy watching the women's volleyball match over at the fieldhouse. so dave lee, who was the emcee, tried to string out the gathering for a packed room so he could make it. of course he did not. thats essentially giving a big middle finger to your fan base. wouldn't be surprised if some influential boosters were there and peeved about it as well.
anyway, i know some will argue that he's being supportive of all sports, but lets face it more people came for the football game then the volleyball match. plus, a strong football program pays the bills and makes non revenue sports stronger.
so even though maturi was completely right about the fans rolling out early, he needs to remember that he has been somewhat hypocritical himself.

EMBARRASSING!!!! In fact I publicly mocked those leaving our section early and my wife gave me the "shut the fuc& up or you're cut off" look.

But I will continue to do it until she actually would take it to that point.
It's just a game. No one is obligated to spend a second more in the stadium than they want to. It's up to the team to develop to the point that people want to stick around to see what happens.

like most or all of the posters in here, i do agree that maturi is correct in being upset with fans leaving early. i will even admit that a couple of the people i have season tickets with have an affinity for leaving early. i do give them a hard time occasionally but i can only rip them so much.
with that said, i do think maturi needs to look in the mirror a bit... last year at wisconsin for the 'sota social in the team hotel he was scheduled to show up and speak. but he couldn't make it because he was too busy watching the women's volleyball match over at the fieldhouse. so dave lee, who was the emcee, tried to string out the gathering for a packed room so he could make it. of course he did not. thats essentially giving a big middle finger to your fan base. wouldn't be surprised if some influential boosters were there and peeved about it as well.
anyway, i know some will argue that he's being supportive of all sports, but lets face it more people came for the football game then the volleyball match. plus, a strong football program pays the bills and makes non revenue sports stronger.
so even though maturi was completely right about the fans rolling out early, he needs to remember that he has been somewhat hypocritical himself.

What is the world does this have to do with thousands of fans (the large majority of whom were not at the Sota Social and who likely have no f-ing clue such things exist) leaving the game early? :rolleyes: Hypocritical? These aren't even the same things! If Maturi was leaving early than it would be hypocritical. Sigh...

sorry you disagree with me..

perhaps you're right that i'm using the wrong choice of saying he's a hypocrite as it's not technically correct and related to what happened yesterday. however, i believe it's ridiculous that he thinks blowing off the fans who made the commitment to go on road games to follow the team is ok. so even though he's right about fans leaving early, why should i listen to a guy that can't even show up for his best fans? is not even showing up better than leaving early? and yes i know a game is more important than some rally.

perhaps you're right that i'm using the wrong choice of saying he's a hypocrite as it's not technically correct and related to what happened yesterday. however, i believe it's ridiculous that he thinks blowing off the fans who made the commitment to go on road games to follow the team is ok. so even though he's right about fans leaving early, why should i listen to a guy that can't even show up for his best fans? is not even showing up better than leaving early? and yes i know a game is more important than some rally.

Your story about what Maturi did in Madison makes me like him even more than I already did. Joel has his priorities right. Showing support for Gopher athletes should always be a high priority for the AD. Any Gopher fan who would whine about Joel choosing to stay at the volleyball match needs to reexamine THEIR priorities.

Don't yell at your fans. Ever. Period.

Fans will do what they want. You want their fannies to stay in the seats?

#1, Win;

#2, win with a comeback.

i have to admit that i'm more or less stirring the pot because i'm not really disagreeing with him on calling the early departing fans out. yes i was a little salty about that night in madison and i got over it later that night. so that rip of him obviously backfired on this board. oh well. i'll admit i've always thought him to be a pc all sports are created equal guy, which i dont' agree with. because in reality the revenue sports are what makes those other ones be as sucessful as they are. so yes my priority is the big revenue sports first and i know my attitude is unpopular. the perception of maturi has changed dramatically since this same message board ripped him frequently during the end of the mason and monson tenures. making some bold coaching hires since then obviously is the reason for that. it's safe to say i'm pretty off topic with what i'm saying so i apologize for that.

hopefully the wisconsin game is a good one so people have no excuse for leaving early other than to get over to sterbs or sallys for a celebratory victory beer. i think that would be a reasonably forgiveable offense.

I remember back in 1980 at a Vikings game when the Vikings came back to win after many of the fans had left the stadium. Bud Grant mocked them for missing out. If we would have been able to come from behind in the 4th, there would have been a lot of people kicking themselves for leaving.

was that the vikings vs. browns game at old met stadium where ahmad rashad caught that last second hail-mary (from tommy kramer i think) for a vikings win and a vikings nfc central championship?

You go Joel. I was very surprised how many fans bailed so early on their team.

I wish I could have stayed the full and beyond, like the first

:eek: Unfortunately, due to an illness of one of group members, I and the three members of my group had to leave our seats prior to all of the time elapsing off the clock. Our needing to leave early had absolutely nothing to do with traffic or not wanting to support the team. It had to do with getting a person who was not feeling well into a situation where they could better care for themself. Unfortunately, what was for most people a great, beautiful and warm game presented a health concern for this person. So in this case that meant getting to a place where they had some control over the temp of their enviroment.So as not to worry anyone who knows my ticket party - everybody is fine. They started feeling better once they were cooled by some AC.

I truly and honestly wish I could have stayed for the entire game, and for some the post game band stuff. Our base plan to deal with traffic exiting campus is to stay at the stadium as long as possilble, and to do something on or near campus following the game. So long as everybody in my ticket group can stay feeling well during the game, I do not anticipate any need to test the situation further. I can tell you that the need to leave the game early proved the plan to avoid frustration during our campus exit was show to have notable merrit.

The longest part of the trip timewise was getting out the parking ramp. That seemed to take much longer having left before the end of the game than it did following the first game. If fans have the choice - I've every reason to believe that extending the stay in the stadium and on campus.

To Coach Brew, players and fans: please know that our empty seats at the end of the game were a response to a specific situation, and that action was meant not as a reflection on the efforts of the team.

We will see all of you in a couple of weeks.

Maybe I'm a little bit of a cynic, but if the athletic department opts for a setting where they construct a stadium with a significant number of suites, club level seats and seats that require a donation to the Golden Gopher Fund AND require pretty big donation requirements to get a parking spot, then they don't have a right to complain about people leaving early.

They went for money over fans. And when you go for the corporate dollar as much as the Gophers have with this stadium, then you don't always get the truest of fans.

You can have it one way or the other. Having both is difficult.

You guys need to get over yourselves.

Every person has the right to do what's best for their individual situation.

Judge not lest ye be judged - seems like an appropriate saying.

Maybe I'm a little bit of a cynic, but if the athletic department opts for a setting where they construct a stadium with a significant number of suites, club level seats and seats that require a donation to the Golden Gopher Fund AND require pretty big donation requirements to get a parking spot, then they don't have a right to complain about people leaving early.

They went for money over fans. And when you go for the corporate dollar as much as the Gophers have with this stadium, then you don't always get the truest of fans.

You can have it one way or the other. Having both is difficult.

This line of thinking might make more sense if the vast majority of season ticket holders hadn't already had tickets at the Dome. This is especially true of ticket holders in the donation seats. I don't think anyone was noticing or complaining about people leaving the Loge/Suites/Indoor Clubs early. The Outdoor Club patrons leaving would certainly be more noticeable (though I never looked over there). So the "fat cats" aren't the issue here. The seatback holding long time fans are the ones who took off in droves (as did plenty of bench seat holders).

was that the vikings vs. browns game at old met stadium where ahmad rashad caught that last second hail-mary (from tommy kramer i think) for a vikings win and a vikings nfc central championship?

That was it, a classic example of what can happen if you leave early.

No one is saying they do not have a right to leave at any time they want to leave. They do not, however, have a right not to be criticized. Note that if "Every person has the right to do what's best for their individual situation", that includes us as well, we have a right to criticize. I have a right to bathe less regularly than I do, but if I did, that wouldn't mean I had the right to eschew bathings without criticism. :D

But if people really think they will somehow beat traffic by leaving early, they are probably mistaken anyway.

Judge not lest ye be judged - seems like an appropriate saying.

I can buy that if the fans are willing to accept a team that cashes it in with 7 minutes left. I mean, every player has the right to just "give up" without any fans criticizing them, right? Judge not....

call them out

If they leave early they are weak. Call them out as they walk out. They have something better to do ? Like what? Vacuum the house? Do some dusting? Beat the traffic because they are down 7? Why come in the first place? They are not even fair weather fans on a beautiful football day like that!

Well I think there are more pressing issues to be discussed (like how Cal's three D lineman controlled our O line all game long), but did leave the stadium w/2 minutes to go - headed to Oak St ramp and got out w/o any waiting - I didn't have time to get locked in traffic etc ... because of plans later in the day. So blast away if you want ........ Now, I was also on campus at 8:15am - spent $ on campus before the game - enjoyed and participated in the pregame activities in and around McNamara Center - spent top $ for my seat - enjoyed the heck out of the total experience - but decided to leave a bit early. Now if we just could have controlled those 3 D lineman we might have been able to run the ball ..... and win this game.

Well I think there are more pressing issues to be discussed (like how Cal's three D lineman controlled our O line all game long), but did leave the stadium w/2 minutes to go - headed to Oak St ramp and got out w/o any waiting - I didn't have time to get locked in traffic etc ... because of plans later in the day. So blast away if you want ........ Now, I was also on campus at 8:15am - spent $ on campus before the game - enjoyed and participated in the pregame activities in and around McNamara Center - spent top $ for my seat - enjoyed the heck out of the total experience - but decided to leave a bit early. Now if we just could have controlled those 3 D lineman we might have been able to run the ball ..... and win this game.

Here's my question. Would you have stayed if the Gophers were winning? If it was tied? Something tells me you wouldn't have. Because to me that's the definition of fair weather. Stay when its good, leave early when its bad.

Nope, had to leave ... tied or up wouldn't have mattered.

Trout - that's a good post. Everyone's game day experience is different. The performance of our O line was mediocre at best. You could feel that the run game was dead and we weren't keeping the ball away from their offense. At 2 mins left, I started to walk as well. I headed back out to my parking spot and got the tailgate ready for post game. The hot sun and cold beer helped me start thinking about the NU game...

No one is saying they do not have a right to leave at any time they want to leave. They do not, however, have a right not to be criticized. Note that if "Every person has the right to do what's best for their individual situation", that includes us as well, we have a right to criticize. I have a right to bathe less regularly than I do, but if I did, that wouldn't mean I had the right to eschew bathings without criticism. :D

But if people really think they will somehow beat traffic by leaving early, they are probably mistaken anyway.
Criticism is fine. Harassment is not.

To the man in Sec. 145 who I yelled "Beat the traffic" to while he was leaving with 5:00 min. left in the game:

Please don't ever do that again. Stay for the whole game. Be a fan. I bet you got home 1 min. faster because of that early departure.

No one is being prevented from leaving early if they wish. They are just getting a little constructive criticism. Harrassment is when someone wears the opponents colors in the student section and "accidentally" has a soda spilled on him.

Top Bottom